FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Favorite Plants (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your Favorite Plants
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, pics would be good, because they are a differenttype of cosmos.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see what I can come up with - it will not be until at least tomorrow, though.

There wouldn't happen to be a "gardens" album out on foobonic? I didn't see one, but I could've easily overlooked. I'm not even sure whether that is something that could be added? I'll do a little research as I am not certain of the process for adding - who to contact, etc. I know I've seen a post regarding the process for foobonic in the recent past; it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

edit: Easily found the thread with instructions and so was able to go ahead and email a couple of pics before I left. I also asked if an album for "Garden Pics" could be created. Cool. Now I'll just have to figure out how to link to the album if / when created.

[ April 08, 2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: arevoj ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be such a good idea!!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, Douglas and I had that plant growing alongside the pond in our backyard in Baltimore. I think it was called Frog-lilly when we bought it. I'm surprised I had forgotten all about it.

We had a terrible time with mildew on that plant, but out backyard was very enclosed with poor air circulation. I shouldn't have that problem here in PA, so maybe I'll see if I can find it in a local nursury.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Cosmos pics are up on foobonic here --> gardenpics
Thanks, ludosti.

[ April 08, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: arevoj ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics! Unlike regular cosmos, these orange beauties do not get all leggy by summer's end.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Wisteria. I adore Wisterias. There are some huge ones in Cambridge England. They are so beautiful.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Lunaria - a.k.a. "Money Plant"

I had often heard of "Money Plant" and seen the seed packets in stores, but I had never experienced the plant in the garden. Every seed packet I had seen only showed photos of the plant after it had died, since the most popular use of the plant is in dried arrangments where the seed pods look interesting. ( see photo at bottom of this link)

However, this year I got several strange plants in my garden. Since this year is my first in this yard, I didn't want to pull anything up that I didn't know was a weed. I got several of these plants that looked a little weedy, but might have been an old species annual that I was unaware of. They were growing haphazardly througout the garden (+1 for "weed") but nothing much was green when they first came up so I left them as harbingers of spring. By the time my peonies and day-lillies started coming up around these unknown intruders they had grown up and had developed definite flower heads. They looked even more wild and weedish - like something you'd see in a meadow - but I was fascinated since it was a plant I had never seen before, so again they escaped being pulled. Boy am I glad I didn't pull them. The flower heads elongated and by the time they bloomed, each individual flower was on the tip of a multi-branched stem, hovering like clouds of tiny purple butterflies. ( photo) They really added a neat interest to the garden despite the scattered, un-organized look they added to my flower beds.

Then they got really interesting. As each flower began to die and fall off, it was replaced by this tiny flat marquis-shaped seed pod. Over the next weeks, these pods grew large and rounder. They are even now still green, but it is clear that they are heading to the form shown in the first photo above. I have so many of them that I've been able to cut a few at each stage of their growth. The flower spires live nicely for days in cut flower arrangements (and indeed can be displayed all alone - One spire is practically an arrangement itself). But the stems full of seed pods add a very cool look when used alone in a bud vase or as greenery in a flower arrangement, too. I can't wait to see what I can do with the dried pods. I'm definitely letting the majority of them re-seed in the garden.

One thing I'm interested to see is how many I'll have next year. They are biennial, so the seeds that fall this year will not bloom next year. Flowers I get next year will come from specimens of this plant that grew but didn't bloom this year. Truley one of the most interesting plants I've seen this year.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hostas

I can't believe no ones mentioned them already! They're such huge green lush plants, I love them! And they are shade loving and damned near impossible to kill [Smile] The perfect plants.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I love hostas. There are a huge variety of them, too. They range from blue-green to yellow-green. Some are striped, or otherwise variegated. They can be huge leaved or tiny. Some put up large flowers. And they are one of the easiest plants to grow. If you give them adequate shade they will multiply like crazy.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I love roses. I never used to like them until I read Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley, I just thought they were overrated. But after a while they grew on me (no pun intended). They're just so beautiful, and their look keeps changing as they open up. They're very picturesque, and they smell nice, too. [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.