FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All who have to commute, I sympathize (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: All who have to commute, I sympathize
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
oops..again [Embarrassed]

Double posting.. Ack!

[ March 31, 2005, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's interesting that public transportation actually gets you there faster . . . I reckon that's a good incentive to use it.
Not only is it faster to take public transportation, but it's a lot less expensive too.
Monthly train ticket: $89.10
Monthly parking in office complex: $220.00
Daily parking in office complex: $21.50
And that doesn't even include gas and maintenance... yes, there IS a reason I insist on living within 1 mile of a suburban train station... and if there are buses that run through that circle, so much the better!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I commute to school anywhere between 60 and 120 minutes, 3 times a week. Pretty lousy for 45 miles! Gotta love Atlanta traffic.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
My commute from Queens to Manhattan was miserable. If you don't want to get to work an hour early, you will be crammed into a filthy train and no one will make room for you. I was only 3 stops out of the city, but it took forever because people would try to squeeze in even when there wasn't room and the doors wouldn't close (train can't go unless doors are closed). It was an awful way to begin the workday. Most days I went in early to avoid it. The evening commute was much, much better for some reason.

I was so happy to commute to downtown Richmond from the Far West End when we moved. I was in my own, clean, air-conditioned car - it was bliss.

Icarus - I'm so jealous. I love Planet Smoothie and there's not one in Roanoke, of course (there wasn't one in Richmond, either).

[ March 31, 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Northern VA, DC area, taking public transport is more expensive (per month) than taking your car in, and likely to take just as long.

On the upside, it's significantly less stressfull.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.