FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Hooked (An Appreciation of Two Great Things) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'm Hooked (An Appreciation of Two Great Things)
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
4. "Shinda... I mean Shindig"

UM.

I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH!

Am I in the wrong thread?

ps. I see what you mean, Noemon. Compared to the norm, #3 was nothing.

pps. Don't worry twinky. I do not need to analyse this one. There's nothing to analyse. It was splendid [Big Grin] .

Favourite quote: Every. Line. Was. Brilliant.

Edit: River is living up to my expectations. This is looking good!

[ March 25, 2005, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it's any consolation, I consider Bushwacked to be one of the two weakest episodes of the season. Still quite good, and still well worth watching (and there is one sequence in particular that I love), but not as good as most of the other episodes.
What do you think is the other weak one? I'm going to hazard a guess and say "Safe" but I'm not sure anyone else feels my boredom with that episode.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Safe is weaker than most of them, but stronger (I think) than either Bushwacked or The Message. I go back and forth sometimes on which episode is my least favorite, but it's usually The Message.

Teshi, yeah, wasn't that interrogation sequence great? Best thing in the episode, especially, as you said, the Zoe/Wash part.

I can't tell you how much fun I'm having vicariously watching the show for the first time again through your eyes. I'm interested in hearing as much analysis as you feel like writing. You're not going to hurt my feelings by taking it apart. I'd wondered about the crew of the train's complete obliviousness to the huge ship flying directly above it. I hadn't been bothered by the sound aspect so much, due to the fact that the train was making all sorts of noise itself (there are other episodes, by the way, where you can tell that the ship does make noise while in flight in atmosphere), but I was surprised that there weren't any onboard sensors that would have detected the ship. Then again, I suppose that adding sensors to check above the train for space ships might not make much sense from a cost perspective.

I can't wait until you get to Our Mrs. Reynolds, by the way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have carefully skimmed through this thread avoiding the spoilers because....

WE HAVE RESERVED FIREFLY AT OUR LOCAL VIDEO STORE!

[Big Grin]

We have been looking for *ages* but it doesn't seem to be anywhere in Australia. Until now.

There is a waiting list, but we are on it. Oh, happiness. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I was thinking about my nitpicking, and I realised why I do it, why I'm kind of an active participant. When I'm watching tv and there's something wrong with the set, I just accept it, if I notice it at all. Slight hum? Where? My brother or father will get up and prod the tv a lot in an effort to get rid of the hum.

It's the opposite with stories. For me, stories are the 'machines' that need prodding when I see a plot break or somesuch.

However, just like a tv hum being pointed out to me, and poked and prodded instead of ignored or leaving it unnoticed, I can see how other people might be very annoyed to have me being a bit nit-picky over stories.

Anyway, with that out the way, and I meant it in the most good natured sense, I just wanted to explain why I realised it wasn't such a great idea to take it apart (and believe, I really could if I tried, to the point when you would run away screaming [Wink] ):

Noemon, the train issue is kind of interesting. Twinky was right; there are tiny windows on the train and if you listen to the ship, it makes a very faint sound considering its size. It is believable when you think about it.

#3 (Bushwacked) was definately scary. When I was falling asleep I kept seeing scenes from it (mentioned vaguely because of spoilers). Yes, I'm a total wuss, but no I didn't have nightmares.

I also didn't like this because of Jayne's little joke. I know Jayne's not supposed to be a very nice character but that was totally out of line [Wink] [Confused] .

#4 (Shindig) ... well you see my reaction. It was a great relief after the constant tension and gore of Bushwacked. Very funny, near-perfectly written.

The thing about Firefly I've noticed so far is the dialogue is never bad. In most shows there's that line which makes you cringe, but Firefly doesn't really have these [Smile] .

I'm still waiting for the villan without an accent [Razz] ! I suppose it must be from historical convention- when the Russians were evil, when the Germans were evil etc., when the cockneys were low down, yet rather comical criminals [Wink] .

[Oh and the entire scene at the start with the electronic billiards was a set up for the sign (sorry once again for being vague), which was good because I was thinking "how is it easier to have fake balls that real ones?" [Smile] ]

[ March 26, 2005, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite episodes are the last three. [Smile]

quote:
Yes, I'm a total wuss, but no I didn't have nightmares.
I gave myself nightmares this week playing Resident Evil 4. It's one of the best games I've ever played, but because I play it alone in the dark with a surround sound speaker system, I scare the bejeezus out of myself and wind up waking up in a cold sweat wondering where my shotgun is.

[/aside]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[ROFL]
twinky
Member # 693

It's really intense. More so than watching a scary movie, because you're right there in it and oh my god do those dogs have TENTACLES?, you know?

Is your essay done yet?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My favorites, if I had to choose three, would be (in no particular order) Objects in Space, Ariel, and Our Mrs. Reynolds. And War Stories.

Oh wait, that's four. I'll come in again.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Raja's distaste for picking things apart has caused me no end of frustration over the years. You can't know how much you love and appreciate a movie until you've taken every loose thread and pulled it apart and find out just how much of the fabric remains. I guess he's just happy wearing shabby pants. Or something. [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

And yet, which of us wears shabby pants more frequently? Ah HA!
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Laugh] You're all crazy.

quote:
Is your essay done yet?
Nope. *dies*

I'm so fed up with it. I'm reaching the point where I honestly don't care if government officials are corrupt or not as long as I don't have to write about it!

Teshi
Member # 5024

5. "Safe"

You know how rare it is for movies, let alone tv shows, to carry of the whole 'flashback to a somewhat troubled childhood/youth' thing? Well, to my mind, Firefly manages it.

Book's got a story [Big Grin] !

Again, nothing was wrong with this episode. The dialogue is so clean, I still can't get over it! I have a reaction to things that happen, yes, but it's a reaction to the intended meaning of the lines. (Except for a sudden outburst of "She turned me into a newt!". Luckily my roomate isn't home.)

Speaking of home, there was rather a lot of it in this episode. I'm actually kind of confused why it was called "Safe", because there wasn't very much safety and there wasn't really a lack of safety enough to be an ironic title. Hm.

Favourite line (from Jayne, surprisingly): "Dear diary. Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy."

Why is this show so awesome?

ps. So, twinky. You play the guitar, right? Can you play the themesong?

twinky
Member # 693

Yes, but it really doesn't sound the same on an electric guitar. [Wink]
Teshi
Member # 5024

You don't have an acoustic one as well?

Hm.

6. "Our Mrs Reynolds"

(I have to be really careful what I say about this one, because of spoilers.)

It's getting kind of redundant to say it was fabulous. They all are. If I find one that isn't I'll comment but so far except for the blood-and-guts of "Bushwacked" I'm liking them all.

The best thing about this episode is I didn't see "it" coming at all. You know what "it" is if you've seen it. I can't really say anymore [Angst] .

I like the growing Inara/Mal thing. It's very well done [Smile] .

I'm dying to know about Book!

My only question is River's lack of picking up "it". She barely featured in this episode- perhaps she wasn't feeling so coherant- but compared to "Safe" I wondered why she had no reaction. One possibility is that she had a scene but it was edited out. It would have given "it" away, that's for sure.

I've said too much...

[Wink]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like the growing Inara/Mal thing. It's very well done .

I'm dying to know about Book!

Well, you're going to really hate them for canceling the show . . . [Evil Laugh] [Wall Bash]

Also, River's still very much in and out at this point, mentally. She's very complex, and only gets more complex as the series goes on (you'll love/hate the last episode).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Don't tell me that! My brain immediately went in to scenario mode and none of the scenarios were good! [Cry]

Don't tell me anything! If they don't explain any of the plots, or people turn out to be the ravaging blood-blatter beast of Traal that's okay as long as I don't KNOW!

[Monkeys]

I suppose, there's always the movie.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Teshi- There's a deleted scene from Our Mrs. Reynolds that I absolutely love that features River.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

7. "Jaynestown"

This one was the most sensitive one so far. Or perhaps I'm in a more sensitive mood, having just finished the essay and suffering from mild-illness-that-strikes-at-inconvenient-times. I really liked it, of course, even the somewhat deus-ex-machina subplot (with Fess), which actually managed to be really good [Smile] . (Of course I liked it! do I even have to say that anymore?)

Yeah, so this one definately did some major character development for Jayne, River, Simon and Kaylee, which was really nice to see more of who they are and more of where they could have gone had people not been murderers and killed one of the best shows ever conceived </rant>.

I have to say that Jayne is one of the funniest characters EVER written. And it's simply because he's so NOT funny, hee hee.

This episode could have been a lot longer. I think that's the case with all of the episodes except "Serenity". They should have done a Sharpe-style tv-movie thing, darnit.

*laments*

[ March 28, 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

You're getting close to the good ones now. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

"good" is taking on a whole new meaning...
Noemon
Member # 1115

So twink, you really count The Message among your favorites? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it--it's always left me cold (well, compared to the other episodes of Firefly. Compared to any other show it's great stuff).

Teshi, you'll get your wish to see a more developed, extended storyline this Sept. when the movie comes out. It occurred to me that you might not know that one was in the works. Same cast, with Joss still at the helm. Reavers are going to figure heavily into the plot, which I was a little disappointed by, but even so, it's going to be Firefly (well, Serenity really), so you know it's going to be good.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Hm. I don't like the reavers because they're really too grusome for me to watch much of. It turns the plot into horror. I hope the movie's not completely dominated by reavers...

But yes, I am looking forward to having a longer plot, although I have no idea how its going to work, what with half-invented characters and all.

Noemon
Member # 1115

To me the reavers are much more frightening when they're alluded to than they possibly could be when actually shown on the screen. But yeah, I don't really go in for horror much either.

What do you mean when you say that the characters are half-invented?

Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm mean they've already been introduced, but only a few people will know that or how. I suppose it worked for the Star Trek movies... but...

EDIT: And I also like the reavers offscreen. It's safer, and too me, still scary.

Although I haven't actually faced a group of reavers just that one guy and what they left behind, so I may be judging from a different place than you.

[ March 29, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also dissaponted to learn that the reavers will be in Serenity.

But even so, it's still the #1 movie I'm anticipating.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

According to what I've read, the movie is going to be done in such a way as to be accessible to people who aren't familiar with Firefly, without being a retread of what those of us who *are* familiar have already seen. How Joss is going to pull that off I don't know, but if anyone can do it he can.

Something that I've wondered about--that colony ship had an atmosphere, and wasn't especially cold from what I could see. Why didn't they smell the bodies instantly when they opened the door into that chamber?

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
So twink, you really count The Message among your favorites?
Basically because the music at the end is unbelievable. I get shivers listening to it. I really, really hope that one day some of the music from the show (particularly the piano and string selections) will be available on a CD.

As to reavers, they can't be offscreen monsters-under-the-bed forever. Sooner or later we'll have to meet them (more so than we already have, of course).

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hm...I'll have to listen to that when I get home from class tonight. The only non-theme music I really recall from the show is at the beginning of Heart of Gold.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Reavers are also the only "villain" that has already been introduced and can be used as an antagonist.

As for the smell not assaulting their noses instantly...it's more dramatic?

The pressure outside the 'lock was higher inside, so when the door opened, the air blew inward and kept the smell from drifting back until a suitably dramatic moment.

The internal filters were still working, thereby minimizing the amount of odor that could accumulate, but the filters weren't designed to handle that much carnage, so the bodies themselves maintained a thorough stench in close proximity.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Reavers are also the only "villain" that has already been introduced and can be used as an antagonist.
No they aren't. What about The Alliance? What about the blue hands?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

As far as I know, they haven't had a running feud with the Alliance - with the exception of hiding River from them and the crew's general dislike.

Which might take a great deal of backstory to bring non-Firefly watchers up to speed.

Reavers, however take two lines of explanation to understand why they are a bad thing.

As for the Blue Hands - sorry, doesn't ring a bell.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't ring a bell? Did we watch the same series? "Two by two, hands of blue."
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Doesn't ring a bell? Did we watch the same series? "Two by two, hands of blue."
TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry Bob - I haven't watched the entire series.

I just don't like it that much.

-Trevor

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Infidel! I cast thee out!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, right, you're the one that always says something about Dukes of Hazzard in Spaaaaaaace. I knew there was some otherwise sane, upstanding member of the community that had a problem with Firefly, but I couldn't remember who it was.
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
The only non-theme music I really recall from the show is at the beginning of Heart of Gold.
The theme is fine and all, but the string and piano stuff (there's one chord progression in particular that is used in several poignant moments)... oh, man.

In the DVD extras the composer says that after writing the bit at the end of The Message he called Joss and said "look, I've got this segment here but it's just too beautiful for the scene -- I wrote it as a goodbye to the show," and Joss said "leave it in." I'm glad he did.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Look, get Daisy Duke up there and I'll find something in the show worthwhile.

Which reminds me, Enterprise is on later...

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

twinky
Member # 693

Well, that's one thing Firefly and Enterprise have in common: both have been cancelled.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Edit: This highly literate response was made to Trevor, not twinky.

to twinky: Yeah. And that's where the similarily ends. Except for the fact they're both kind of set in space.

[ March 29, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, it's funny. I remember that comment, but I don't remember the music.

Oh, oh, wait, yes I do! For some reason it's coming back to me.

Yeah, great music. Just an okay episode, but the music is top notch, it's true.

twinky
Member # 693

Hey, don't look at me, *I* don't watch Enterprise. But I think Trevor was talking about how hot Jolene Blaylock is.

Noemon, yeah, pretty much all of the "background" music in Firefly is, IMO, really good.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I think the Reavers are one of the weakest aspects of the show. They're not important or necessary. They're the cliched nightmare monster with no other purpose than to scare. They don't serve any useful purpose.
TMedina
Member # 6649

As Twinky noted, I was drawing a parallel between the pointless eye candy of Daisy Duke and the nearly pointless eye candy of Joylene Blaylock.

Although I feel the need to add the disclaimer that I don't think Enterprise is a particularly good show either...I lost it when they mounted phaser cannons on retractable mechanical arms...

-Trevor

twinky
Member # 693

I was gone long before that. Bleh.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't know about pointless - they do provide a hard and fast baseline of "evil" in an otherwise ambiguous mythology.

The social and political commentary viewers might derive from the "Pax Alliance" doesn't exist when you try common ground with someone or something so undeniably despicable as the Reavers.

In some respects, it's like using Nazis in movies...very few people ever mourn the Nazi dead or try to argue that the Nazis are terribly misunderstood creatures and we need to broaden our points of view to encompass theirs.

Are the Reavers particularly well thought out or especially creative as villains go? Not really.

But they do service a purpose.

-Trevor

P.S. Anyone have a count on Godwin's Law yet? [Big Grin]

Edit: Sorry Twinky - there was nothing else on in the same time slot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2005, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

I've read people theorizing that the reavers represent the a kind of clawing emptiness that is battling to take over Mal's soul after he's stripped of his faith at the battle of Serenity Valley. I don't think I really buy it though.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Interesting.

The parallel is there, certainly - but unless Whedon is planning on linking Mal to the Reavers in some way, it's a pretty stretched metaphor.

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

I just got done watching The Message, and twinky is right that the music is phenomenal. The story, though...it just isn't spectacularly good like the rest of the series. I can't wait to hear Teshi's thoughts on this one. There are a number of things I could say about it, but I don't want to give any plot points away.

Oh, I thought of a another contender for my top three favorite episodes--Out of Gas. What's that make, five episodes that are in my top three? And of course, Ariel and Heart of Gold really deserve to be up there too.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.