FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Job (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Job
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So Irami, why not take the job and donate all the extra money that you would be getting and don't actually need (or the equivalent dollar amount to the extra benefits you would recieve) to the charity or cause of your choice?

Are you afraid the money would morally corrupt you and you wouldn't be able to give it away?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
"Giving them all the excuses the want to cover their shame"

[Roll Eyes] Yep, you're right, Irami. My husband feels great shame at recommending a qualified person for the position. I mean, this guy had just lost his job and had three kids to support, but it's horrid that my husband recommended him. It was an open position in his field, and the company liked him - even worse!! I think this is far different from a crony receiving a job just because he knows the right person.

space opera

edit: That probably came off too snippy. All day morning sickness does not flatter my personality, unfortunately.

[ March 21, 2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami...

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about inheriting a job?

(As in "Smith and Sons Widgets" or that sort of thing)

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my job. If I'd need the job, I'd take it. I don't know what I'd do with all of the money, but I sure wouldn't kvetch about taxes.

The issue is, I think of all of the awful jobs I've had, and all of the kids I know who don't have manager friends, and I understand that there is a problem.

quote:
My husband feels great shame at recommending a qualified person for the position. I mean, this guy had just lost his job and had three kids to support, but it's horrid that my husband recommended him. It was an open position in his field, and the company liked him - even worse!! I think this is far different from a crony receiving a job just because he knows the right person.
I don't see the difference.
I don't have a problem with cronyism. I have a problem with the excuses and entitlement that come after cronyism.

quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about inheriting a job?
It's fine, as long as the son has a good sense of humor about it, and supports public goods, for those without his felicitous circumstance.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami, don't use words like felicitous.

Just . . . don't.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do a job, and do it well, how are you NOT entitled to the pay? How does anyone other than the person working have any right to any of it, and how the hell would that be enforced? I know we pay taxes, but what are you suggesting as an alternative?

Let me guess......transfer the entitlement fomr the person working at that job to those who aren't?

Yeah, that would work well, and really motivate people to succeed in business.... [Roll Eyes]

After all, it worked so well for the USSR.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.