FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is the Hubble worth it? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the Hubble worth it?
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like every HST service mission has involved docking with the thing and towing it to higher orbit. That's probably the tricky part.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I’d love it if it stayed up. All I’m saying is that they have to pick and choose. And I’d much rather them go with new and improved. NASA does cutting edge stuff and leaves the other stuff for the researchers to work out.
I really truly believe this is a PR stunt to get some kind of public funding going. The “Save Hubble Fund” Look at the 10 million given for the X project. But you gotta have the press to get the funding and I bet this is their way to start the ball moving. Think of it, you could privatize Hubble and get the funding from those who want to have scope time.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
According to this site

quote:
Lawmakers and scientists agree that Hubble has been a tremendous tool for space research since it came into service in 1990, but they recognize that its expenses are a problem as Washington Washington faces a huge budget deficit.

With repair costs possibly reaching two billion dollars, Congress will have to mull Hubble's future as it tackles the 2006 budget.

According to US media, the Bush administration has decided to eliminate funding for a mission to fix Hubble and extend its life until 2010, when the infra-red James Webb Space Telescope is to take its place.

So I wouldn't say the rescue missions were scrapped just for safety reasons.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another way to look at it is spending money to get the most out of the billions already invested in Hubble, instead of using it like a disposable camera.

Exactly.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can tell,the reasons for scrapping the repair missions were safety concerns, followed by cost. It may be it's too expensive to maintain--I'm just saying it would still be a valuable asset to astronomers even after JWST goes up.
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Think of it, you could privatize Hubble and get the funding from those who want to have scope time."

Well, that's a bit of a shell game, given that most people who want scope time are paid with tax money. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
The good ol circle of life………
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my impression that the equipment that is needed to fix the hubble has already been built and paid for. Does the two billion dollar price tag referred to above include money already spent, or is that an additional 2 billion dollars? Also what percentage of NASA's budget is that?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.