FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well of My Belly, Maw of My Mouth -- Now with [super-secret, shhhh!] experimentation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Well of My Belly, Maw of My Mouth -- Now with [super-secret, shhhh!] experimentation
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*high fives quid* Yeah. Chocolate. It's probably just the sugar and fat that I'm craving, but it's sugar and salt in very large quantities. *sigh* Like right now actually.

I don't get horny while I'm on my period (well, ok, my friend does), but I get convinced that I'll be single forever and I wander around feeling like a weak and powerless woman that is ALONE!

Oh, and I also break out like crazy. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was on hormonal birth control I spent the week before my period convinced that I was pregnant. Convinced. Whether it was physically possible or not. I would be distraught, in tears, trying to figure out what I was going to do, and how I was going to handle it. Even when I knew, intellectually, that it was perfectly ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm not on the pill anymore.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, ElJay, that's how I spend the week before MINE. [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmmm, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate.... is it just me or are the Cadburry eggs gods gift to PMSing women? I absolutely love this time of year when those things hit the shelves... [Eek!] [Big Grin] .... yummmmmm *melting smilie*
Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Having had a hyterectomy five years ago (the kind that took all but the ovearies), I just get to have munchies and urges, sore breasts, stabbing pains - without the reminder of why that is . . . for the first couple of years I would get through a PMS cycle and then realize that really, if things were the way they had been, I be buying stock in Kotex.

The last couple of years have been interesting - what with the thyroid going wacko, hot and cold flashes, food cravings . . . on the other hand, the absence of cramps, bloating, nausea, headaches and general misery is a blessing.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

mack, that's odd. I never met anyone who had the same reaction. Just when you're on BC, or did it happen before, too?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Rats! Rats rats rats rats! I only had twenty-four hours of the roll-around happy-lip-smacky satiated goodness. Now I'm back to weak herbal tea and Motrin.

[Cry]

(Where did all the yumminess go? [Frown] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor CT. [Frown]

*offers gentle hugs*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I only go through the hormonal food and 'tude thing every three months, generally 2 weeks before my next injections (yes I'm on Depo). When it hits, though, I find myself inhaling salty crunchy stuff while I'm sitting at the computer, usually for the most part oblivious to what I'm eating or how much. I also become a complete raving rhymes-with-witch to just about everyone around me.

I've been on Depo for two and a half years now, so I'm pretty used to the cycles. My bosses, on the other hand.... [Evil]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Only after, never before. It's Really Creepy. I start to go through scenarios in my head about what the hell we'd do if we had a kid Right Now. [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
RHB: Okay, we've spotted a brown-haired guy with good cheekbones -

different groups of hormones start cheering with each description.

Hormone group: YAY! We'll take him!

RHB: There's a nice looking bald black guy-

Hormone group: YAY! Sounds lovely!

RHB: A bookish looking skinny guy with glasses-

Hormone group: Get his number! Get his number!

RHB (getting into it): An older man with long silver hair-

Hormone group: WE'LL TAKE HIM!

RHB: A juggler, a musician, a cute blonde girl, someone in a long coat, I can't really tell from behind-

Hormones: The egg wants them all!

[ROFL]
That totally sounds like me!
I am so glad I don't have that affliction now... It better not come when I am going to see DMITRI or I will be very cross. I cannot stand having cramps when I am trying to enjoy things that kick ass. [Mad]
All that stupid leaking.
I wonder if I can get those 4 periods a year or no period ever again shots.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually spend the first couple days wishing I didn't have to eat. I have to tempt myself with Bad Foods to make myself eat. I don't usually get cravings for anything. Just icky feelings.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was on hormonal birth control I spent the week before my period convinced that I was pregnant. Convinced. Whether it was physically possible or not. I would be distraught, in tears, trying to figure out what I was going to do, and how I was going to handle it. Even when I knew, intellectually, that it was perfectly ridiculous.
[Eek!] That's a pretty crazy side effect! Especially when you knew for sure you couldn't be pregnant. Any idea why the birth control pills would cause this?

I haven't had significant side effects, save one which I shall put into the context of the reproductive cycle (heh!) play:

Hormones: Hey, look! A hot guy!
RHB: Wha? Huh? Oh...yeah, hot. *goes back to sleep*
FB: *Does differential equations homework*

Maybe it's a side effect of being an overworked engineering student, but it seems to have happened when I started taking the pill without breaks. Anyone else experience this?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - Shigosei -- I've had that reaction back several years ago when I was on Depo (the shot). I have never had anything "squelch" my sex drive so absolutely and completely. No attraction to anything. It was horrible.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a slight reduction in my desire level while on Depo. 'Course, I have significantly fewer chances to indulge, so maybe it's not the meds causing the change but rather the semi-conscious knowledge that I can't do much about it anyway.

Desogen oral, however, completely killed my libido and turned me into a raving psychopath, to the point where my then-husband demanded that I get the doctor to change my meds. (and the only reason I was on Desogen insted of Ortho was insurance restrictions)

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, I'd guess it was the med more than your situation.

*climbs walls*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

The reason I'm not sure whether mine is chemical or mental is because when the opportunity does present itself, I'm close to insatiable. But when it's time for him to leave, then nothing until the next trip is near.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vile Girl Scouts! *shakes fist

But girl scout cookies are good! They make great gifts, and they freeze well!

*Nudges order form out of sight and puts on most angelic, girl scouty smile*

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the munchies so much as the thirsties. Mainly for milk! And none of that skimmed stuff, just lots and lots of fatty goodness. I don't know why, but milk is the only thing I'm ever thirsty for during my period. Maybe something to do with the body needing extra calcium but maybe not - all I know is that for a week we have to have a few extra gallons laying around the house or I get cranky.

That or it's the heat. Aside from the obvious bleeding and the above, my only other symptom is that I get very feverish for two days right before my period. As in I spent some of last week walking around in a haltertop with just a thin dance-warmer on as a cover-up while it was snowing. Is that normal?

That and curse having your own cycle messed up by another's. I was a full 8 days early this month! Running around asking people for feminine products mid-day on the only day you have to stay after school 3 hours extra for a calculus review is not fun.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I *always* have a stash in every single one of my various bags, backpacks, purses, etc. Just because I never know if it's going to come unexpectedly. I've also been known to supply many, many others because I seem to be the only one consistently prepared. Sigh.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
That really is no fun, dear, though I thank you on behalf of those you've helped. I usually have one in my purse at all times but my box of supplies has been emptying and I'm trying to save money so I was trying to reserve them for this coming week. Dratted biology foiling perfectly good logic.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, none of this ever happens to me.

I guess that's a good thing...

[Angst]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've always found PMS to be one of Mother Natures cruelest jokes.
She makes us fat, cranky, splotchy, blotchy, weepy, bitchy, hungry, bi-polar, sore boobed, sore bellied, creatures of instinct. And then, she makes us horny.
Some of us grow horns and terrify our SOs, and yet our sex drives are in over drive. This is so wrong. And, I feel bad for the men who have to deal with it.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel more sorry for me having to deal with it.. -_-
"Who's idea was that? blood!"

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel Ray screws up a lot of stuff. Alton Brown is better.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Rachel Ray is kinda cute...
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, back to that "well of my belly" thing...

Have you guys had Dove ice cream? It's my favorite with the ganache and the little crunchy chocolate pieces. I've had the mint (which I LOVE) and tonight I"m having Vanilla with a Chocolate Soul.

Yeah, I'm still in my bad week. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Desogen oral, however, completely killed my libido and turned me into a raving psychopath
Right, that's what I'm on. No psychopath problems, but when I poke my libido with a stick it doesn't respond. Actually, that's pretty convenient right now, but will it go away if I go off of the Desogen?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Desogen is what I was on, and when I went off it all my nasty problems went away and I went back to being my normal, well-balanced self. *snicker*
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Poor Shigosei!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the side effects of my ADEM is a lack of libido. It is so weird! I have to say, though, I sort of like it for now. Some weird hormonal crap is definitely going on, though, even though I am still getting my period regularly. Hair loss, I am not as hot(I tend to gt overheated very quickly), and other weird things. I wish I could pick and choose:
OK, I choose the hair loss on the legs, and the lack of sweatinness, but I want my head hair back, and I would like to have some spark of interest in the physical, please.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Munchies... heck, yeah! Bring it on! I do seem to spend a week out of every month scrabbling around for things to eat. Pixie, I haven't ever had cravings for milk, but it does seem to stop the cramps, so I do drink more of it.

Does anyone else find that just at the end of their period their energy levels take a massive dive? Mine are usually okay through the first three or four days and then come day 5 or 6 when I think it's all over I struggle to get up the energy to do anything at all.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Amira, mine are the opposite. Little energy the first few days (and I end up feeling like a totally fat slob) then as it slows I perk back up.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mine are the opposite as well. I am almost comatose the few days before, and two days in.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my newest revelation: when you go without sugar, everything is better.

Scary, I know, especially when Cadbury MiniEggs are in season, but it's actually pretty fabulous. I haven't been eating refined sugar (I allow myself fruits and the occasional brown sugar or honey on my oatmeal) for two weeks now, and a lot of my complaints have cleared up. I'm sleeping better and staying awake better and my cramps this time around are basically non-existant.

The darn breakout can't be avoided though.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I HATE the breakout. Nothing can stop it, either. Annie is totally right. I take prescription antibiotics and have a prescription skin gel and it keeps breakouts away EXCEPT that one week during the month. [Mad]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently I was waiting for the Hatrack cycle...for over 3 weeks, to the point that I was starting to wonder if I was pregnant. That would have been a shocker. I wish you guys would tell me when you're sending hormones over the ether.

I spend half of my period not eating at all and the other half eating whatever sounds good in large quantities. This morning I made myself eat a scrambled egg, though it sounded vile. I had a hot fudge sundae for dinner last night, which gave me a hell of a headache. I know better, but couldn't help myself. Chocolate is nearly obsession-making this time of the month, but almost always gives me a migraine. The egg didn't totally do it this morning, so I had a chai and bagel. And a Zyrtec. And two ibuprophen. It is very unfair to have a late period, a cold, a migraine and spring allergies all at the same time. Oh, and throw in a vomiting toddler to make the joy complete. I may have massive amounts of comfort foods for dinner tonight, undoubtedly horrifying my husband and leading my children into temptation.

I can't wait for this week to be over.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can stop sending hormones to Jeni and start sending them to me. I haven't had one in two months, and the last one I had was a piddly-lame three days.

I'm definitely not pregnant unless God is somehow involved, and at this point it's just irritating me. Plus my ovaries hurt. [Frown]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just energy levels that drop for me; I feel like my ability to think is very affected. Not to bring every single post I make back to Scrabble, but my record would seem to corroborate this; my averages, my win-loss record, my "misses" are all affected adversely for about four days a month. It is very annoying, especially when a tournament falls within that timeframe.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
See my old thread on "My husband stole my chips." I not only need junk food, I get paranoid about my junk food around that time of the month.

Luckily, Trader Joe's chocolate soy milk (the only kind I like) helps me with that a little, so I don't turn into an evil witch quite so fast.

But having just spent the weekend sharing a room with someone who was on, I'm doomed. I have cramps this morning. (I'm very easily influenced!)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right! I'm due for another shot this week!

This thread makes me want to sprint to the clinic RIGHT NOW. [Angst]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
{--- is hungry and tired and cranky
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The part I hate the most is the vomiting through the nose bit. Ick.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o <---this smily does not accurately express how disturbed I am by quidscribis' post.

That said, I lost my battle against the burrito this evening. I told it that I was no longer hungry and that I would save it for later... Later happened to be about three hours later. Bah. I'll call it fuel for my sickness and play some DDR.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Disclaimers to follow.
READ THE DISCLAIMERS!
Note:

I am going to do an experiment on myself, but I am not experimenting on anyone else. This means you.

Yes, you.

Disclaimers:
1. Do not do this yourself.
2. It may cause long-term damage.
3. It may pose additional correlated risks.
4. It may be disfiguring.
5. You should not do this yourself.
6. Do not do it.

7. I mean it. Don't. [Mad]

[Details deleted, as per next post]

[ March 21, 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I've been mulling over an idea ... ever since grade school.

[Deleted details of the experiment, as I recalled that such things might provide unhealthy triggers for some persons. Trust me, you really don't want to know anyway.]

I think. I'm just guessing. We'll see.

Goodness, I can hardly wait. [Smile]

[ March 21, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Goodness, you didn't need the disclaimers as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine doing such a thing to myself. Blech. [Smile]

Added: But good luck. [Smile]

[ March 21, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I have long struggled with a perverse desire to deny myself pleasures. In a sick, unhealthy way, it might be quite satisfying. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is like "Supersize Me" of the Nose.

Superschnoz Me.

Taelani
Member # 7562

- posted      Profile for Taelani   Email Taelani         Edit/Delete Post 
OI... I so can relate to the munchies. With me it's Chocolate... give me the chocolate and nobody gets hurt. As far as B.C. turning me into a stark raving lunatic, that was Depo... I was on it for about 6 months after I had my first son, and I was the psycho B**** from he**. My husband swore that going back on that was grounds for divorce. Never again. Ortho tri-cyclen works well for me though.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.