FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » favorite non Shakespearean play? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: favorite non Shakespearean play?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, for a start, it's Les Mis (short for Miserables)...
Let me defend myself in my choice of letters *clears throat*.

I chose to write it Les Miz, because of the pronunciation of the "s" in Les Miserables. It's not even a hard "s", it's a "z" sound. Therefore, I'm perfectly able to use a "z".

*sniff*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, I can't believe I forgot Picasso at the Lapin Agile by Steve Martin. AWESOME play!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's Lay Ms, Teshi. Don't let the French holdja down.

[ March 12, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

"Les Miserables" in French is pronounced with the "z" 's'!

EDIT: Anyway, the point is that it's a pretty great musical, and I like it, regardless of whether you pronounce it Less Misserables or Les Miserables!

[ March 12, 2005, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That ain't how Americans pronounce it.
Remember the Freedom Fries!!!

[ March 12, 2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril, no, not in Classics, but I am in Latin. Do I know you? That would be really weird. Have you taken any upper-year Latin recently, or perhaps last term's G&R Religion? And nope, haven't seen this year's FASS or any other KWLT productions. Co-op messing with things.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm a Greek geek and stay mostly away from the Latin. I took the G&R religion class but it was a few years ago. I know most of the folks that do take Latin though: Bridget, Joni, Stef, Mike, Madelyne, Diane, Cathy, Kathleen...any of these familiar? If you're ever in the Classics Lounge, I most definitely know you. I wonder, I wonder... [Dont Know] We could play 20 questions or something. Or, you know, just trade names and see. But that's the boring route. [Wink]

P.S. Sorry to interrupt the Miserables discussion - carry on...

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
All familiar names. I lived with Bridget for a couple years at SJU. I think - think - she may be one of my few contemporaries left. Everyone non-co-op who started school with me is graduating this year. And I think most of those folks took Vergil last term with me. I pop by the classics lounge occasionally, but usually I find it too crowded. Don't suppose you were out at the Heather Dale show Thursday? I noticed a few of the usual suspects there - Joni and few others. I think the biggest hint I can give you is that I'm NOT a member of Classics, but I AM a Latin Geek. Everyone else doing upper-year stuff is part of the faculty, I believe.

Sorry to everyone else for this thread de-rail. In order to pretend that I am still contributing to the main discussion, I will offer that I also hated Death of a Salesman.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

Interesting... I was in fact *supposed* to be at the Heather Dale show with Joni et al. but wound up not going. Hmmm...Latin geeks, Latin geeks. Who else do I know of? I'll have to think about this. And yes, the Classics Closet is either pretty crowded or empty most of the time. Handy place to go get distracted though. Alright, guess number one. You're not Crystal, are you?

Edit: Oh, yes. Main discussion. Ummm... Oh! I saw Les Belles Soeurs once, and it was fantastic. I'm sure it would have been even better in French, but I probably understood it better in English and it was still great.

[ March 12, 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Nope.

Hint 2: I am the direct cause and sole beneficiary of LAT 391 this term. Okay, it's a crummy hint, but I'm trying to think of what might make me distinctive. I usually blend into the background.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Direct cause of 391, eh? Ummm...that's not helping much. What programme are you actually in?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Honours Arts Applied Studies Co-op (Religious Studies).

EDIT: Actual serious question here: Anyone know the name of a French musical that played a few years ago, about Notre Dame Cathedral, and some refugee squatters? I only saw one song, and it didn't have subtitles, so I'm working from some very fuzzy memories here. It was also playing in Rome last February, I think.

[ March 12, 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Huh. Ummm...okay, this guessing thing isn't so easy. But that cuts out Sarah and Steph and Tamsin and...everybody. Let's get more obvious. Hair colour? Glasses?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Dark hair, shoulder-length, give or take. Glasses, but I wear my contacts a lot. Earrings. I'm engaged to a guy I met online (Bridget knows this, and I have no idea what rumors get around). Make up extremely rare, often have a big deep blue scarf I wear. Have an official Latin Minor. I've never taken any Greek classes. I hang around Leah a lot, if you know her.

I have no idea what else I could add. I'm really an invisible person.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Hmm. I'll have to see if I can figure you out! I don't know that you'd know me. I'm the relatively loud one who always tutored Greek...which wouldn't tell you much I guess. I was in Curchin's LAT 100A in 2001, and Robertson's LAT 100B with Bridget a couple years ago; I don't know if you were in those too. Well, I'll figure you out...

As for the musical, was it a take on the Hunchback story, or a different story altogether? "Notre Dame de Paris" was a French musical out on video a few years ago, based on Hugo's novel...?

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I was in Napran's 100A class in '01, and Curchin's 100B. I was in Neuru's 203 course Fall '02. Would you have been in that one?

I have no idea if the Hunchback was involved int he play. The song was about the age of cathedrals, that's all I remember.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Notre Dame de Paris

The official site

The lyrics to the song you're looking for?

Edit: And no, I only did Greek after 100B. I shall apply to my Latinesque friends for help in finding your identity and get back to you...

[ March 12, 2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I know one line from that musical. A long time ago, I heard a song, and this one line is all I know...

quote:
Il est foutu le temps des cathédraaaaaaaaales

That's the line. Weird.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Yep, that's the play. I recognized the gargoyles and the guy with the funny nose. Odd how our memories cling to the small things.

EDIT: I could always just tell you, if you want.

[ March 12, 2005, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

It is funny. I saw part of a TV version of a play once (I don't really know it was a play but it just didn't have that 'written for TV feel') and all I can remember is that Susanna...oh, Susanna whatshername who plays Jane in the BBC Pride & Prejudice was climbing through a window. I've always wondered what it was because the bit I saw was interesting, but that's not much to go on.

Edit: Oh, alright fine. Ruin the fun. [Razz] Who are you?

Edit II: And of course, if I still don't know you I'll feel very silly!

[ March 12, 2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Alison or Ali. In case that isn't much help, here's a half-decent pic of me.
Astaril
Member # 7440

Hmm. Okay, I've seen you around a few times. I'm Polly, if that means anything to you, and I'll have to do some digging to find a picture of me...
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Polly, Polly... I've gotten some Aggelos emails from you in the past?

Anyway, the rest of you may now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

(edited for spelnig)

[ March 12, 2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

(Last offtopic post, honest! Well, here, anyway).

Ah heck. I always liked this one. Mostly because people pay more attention to the puppy in the picture than me. And yes, you've gotten a lot of aggelos emails from me... I always forget how many people are actually on that list! Anyway, perhaps I'll see you around then. Nice meeting you...again!

</derailing>

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.