FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I ain't comin' home (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I ain't comin' home
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quid, I actually meant no one's accused the north of being unimportant yet. But I guess it's just been ignored, which is the same difference, only passive.
The little nuances I miss because of massively pounding heads. [Angst]

Are you planning on inviting those in the west, or is this going to be an exclusive gathering?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
See here for further discussion!
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Astaril. I found it after I posted in this thread.

So. Once more, the exclusionary east ignores the west as unimportant! One more example to put into the annals of Canadian history! Down with the east! [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... there are more people here than there. If there were more people out there, we might meet there. But there aren't. [Smile]

I've heard that many Vancouverites think Toronto is stuck up and snitty. Is it true?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, yeah, pretty much. [ROFL] I was a Vancouverite, and I had/have relatives living in Toronto, and they were all stuck up and snitty, so I was basing it on them rather than the rest of the general population, whom I have not met that I know of. But, yeah. [Big Grin] Then again, Vancouverites tend to be granola people, so [Dont Know]
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hm. Interesting.

Well we're liberal here, of course, but not granola liberal, more "there are far too many people living in a small space here and they all are different than if we don't just get along and have a good time we'd explode" liberal.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

By granola, I mean a lot of sandals with socks and shorts, vegetarians, tree-hugging tree-spiking don't care who it hurts people. Okay, not all of them, but there do seem to be a lot more extremist environmentalists there. And panhandlers, and squeegee boys, and beggars wearing Doc Martens which I could never afford, and . . . [Angst]
Teshi
Member # 5024

I know what you mean [Wink] [Smile] .
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard that many Vancouverites think Toronto is stuck up and snitty. Is it true?
Everybody west of, say, Kenora thinks Toronto is stuck up. If we knew what snitty meant we'd probably have thought that to.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

snitty (adj.)

American (orig. and chiefly slang)

1. Ill-tempered, sulky.

1978 Washington Post 17 Sept. H1/4 In 1977..snitty bickering between the Hollywood and New York factions of the TV Academy reached a new pitch of schismatic feverishness. 1981 T. BARLING Bikini Red North ii. 58 Don't make me laugh when I want to be snitty. 1986 City Limits 29 May 59 Before we get a snitty letter from Sir Peter we would like to recall the last time the NT staged ‘Othello’. 1987 People 4 May 7/3 A sixteen-year-old orphan, the child of an affair, who lives with her half brother..and his snooty, snitty wife.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I lied when I said I'd never been west of Ontario. I stopped in Vancouver on my way back from New Zealand last fall.

quote:
That's hilarious! I mean, if Vancouverites weren't so busy sipping their green tea lattés and eating their gelato, they might have time to look down on Toronto. Basically, the impression I get is that Canada resents Toronto the way America resents New York, which is to say that Toronto thinks its the centre of the universe. But stuck up? No, that's reserved for Vancouver.

(That's not to say that I don't really like the city, and wouldn't gladly have moved there if I'd gotten the job I interviewed for there.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
The way it works in the US (in my experience, at least) is that New Yorkers go all over the country exclaiming in loud voices--and often using a lot of profanity--that whatever place they happen to be in is not as good as New York, while the rest of us usually don't think about New York at all.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Arrogant Worms described Toronto the best:

"The rents too high, the airs unclean
The beaches are dirty and the people are mean
And the women are big and the men are dumb
An the children are loopy cuz they live in a slum
The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork
They dress real bad and they think they're New York
In Toronto, Ontario"

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Tsk. That's not the Arrogant Worms. That's Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie. Although, realistically, if there were three dead *anythings* in a baggie, there'd probably be some worms in there with them... But as to their arrogance, that's questionable. How does one tell if a worm is arrogant?

And, incidentally, I've got to say that even people living just a couple hours north of TO tend to think of it as fairly stuck up... Admittedly, that could be because all the ones that we meet are generally coming to use our land for their cottages, and are of the stuck-up, rich variety. Toronto's really too diverse to classify as anything specific, I think. Not that that stops people [Wink]

[ March 10, 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I miss Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie. [Frown]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.