FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Dante Graduate School Reality Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Dante Graduate School Reality Thread
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Jane, it's not a polite question to ask because a lot of grad students have no clue. And since it seems like your PhD will never end it really sucks when someone asks, oh what are you planning to do afterwards. It's already hard enough to plan even a little ahead let along for "after" your Phd.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump because I like what I said in this thread*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fugu, very interesting. Best of luck!

Yes, it was the preference for an undergrad degree in chemistry or biology that had me turn away from the bioinformatics program.

Instead I'm going to stick with the plan of getting an MLIS but I'd like to focus on medical librarianship as much as possible. There aren't enough courses in it to make it a concentration, but I can at least take everything available.

I'm majoring in communication management, and I'll be taking several courses in medical communication as well. Like you I'd rather focus on the social side rather than the technical side, though I do have a background in database programming, and plenty of experience in manipulating health data. While working for a pharmaceutical company I did a lot of research in diagnositc databases and prescription data.

I hope that experience will help me down the road. Not too long ago the library for the medical center and university hospital had two openings for medical librarians - unfortunately a few years too early for me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There are also positions and degrees in medical and health care administration informatics, which are less technical in many ways. Not to mention music informatics (that's a particularly interesting field in some ways).

I love being part of a growing field [Wink] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
detective munch
Member # 7670

- posted      Profile for detective munch   Email detective munch         Edit/Delete Post 
Si, sono io. what's up you freak? I was in indiana two years ago, who knows, I may make it back there eventually. Again, congratulations on the thread topic. You'll make an excellent doctor, I think.
I still have the sonnet you wrote for me on the train from La Spezia to Bologna somewhere. Looks like it may be worth something someday. I won't throw it out after all.(Sai che scherzo.) You've come a long way Anziano. Congrats once again.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Grazie, scemino mio. For those who are curious, munch here was a mission buddy of mine many, many years ago. Since then, he's gone on to have a successful job and a beautiful family, and I've...um...I own my own car.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
detective munch
Member # 7670

- posted      Profile for detective munch   Email detective munch         Edit/Delete Post 
"Successful" is a subjective term, however; I must agree that my family is beautiful(myself excepted). Dude, shoot me an email at detectivemunch@gmail.com.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.