FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doing anything special for Valentine's Day? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doing anything special for Valentine's Day?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Dana, good luck! Hopefully you'll have good news to share Monday.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Feyd, you can join in the celebration of Arizona statehood day.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"If you must buy flowers..."

Now come on, Annie. That's not really an option, is it? [Smile] The bouquet I ordered has carnations and lilies in it (if lilies are those big blooms with four petals). It's tall and elegant, good for the kitchen table.

I'll get another bouquet for our anniversary, and that one will be big on daisies. I always do something with daisies on our anniversary, no question. Hopefully those flowers will be fresher.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Dana. This will count as what I learned today.

And good luck.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The bouquet I ordered has carnations and lilies in it (if lilies are those big blooms with four petals). It's tall and elegant, good for the kitchen table.
Oh, good choice. Those are both quite long-lasting.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
The weekend before I am planning on doing something with friends. I am planning on getting a really good bar of chocolate for myself for the actual day. I have to go to a rehearsal so I can't do anything that night. Maybe I will make out with the cute trumpet player in the instrument closet during break. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

That's a good idea, Allegra. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I know, I just need to convince him of this.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Try this: repeat everything he says in a sultry voice and add the word "baby."

Him: I need to clean my spit valve.
You: I'll clean your spit valve, baby.

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
My second year at university I was single on Valentines and had an absolute blast. I went out for an early dinner with two male friends (one gay, one straight, both single) - we went to the sushi night at the local Japanese restaurant and laughed the whole time. Then I went back to college and bumped into another (female) friend of mine who was going to the cinema to see Shallow Hal with some of her other single friends and asked if I wanted to come along - which I did and had a great laugh. The projector died for about 10 minutes in the middle but didn't spoil the film at all.

As I found out when I got home, my ex didn't have quite such a good time (we were sharing a house at the time, not a good plan) - he'd spent most of the evening getting drunk and pining after various girls, so the evening didn't end as well as it began. It's still one of my most memorable nights at uni and one of the most fun.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

In my increasing attempt to use as much British vocabulary as possible (I've just managed to master the use of bit), I think I shall start talking about my years at uni.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
My freshman year of college my friend Jason and his harem (which consisted of me and three other girl friends) went to see Legends of the Fall for the sixth time in the theatre.

I think I've blocked out all the other Valentine's Days, including the ones from when I was dating someone.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Last year, one of my French professors got one of my human heart (à la Gray's Anatomy) valentine cards. She was really touched when I handed her the envelope. She said, "It's been years since someone gave me a valentine!"

I felt kind of guilty, but didn't have the heart to say anything until she opened it.

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Definite possibility that I'm going to court after all.

Every time everything is settled . . . it's not.

What judge schedules divorce papers on Valentine's Day? That's kinda rude!

Oh, and good luck Dana!!

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

quote:
Try this: repeat everything he says in a sultry voice and add the word "baby."

Him: I need to clean my spit valve.
You: I'll clean your spit valve, baby.

[ROFL]

I don't think I could say it with a straight face.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
February 14th is a Monday. During tax season's "peak".

Yep, I'll be working a 12+ hour shift that day.

[Grumble]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to ignore the fact that it's Valentine's Day. It was just my luck; the first year I'm not single for Valentine's Day and I still have to spend it alone. No phone call, no IMing, nothing. I don't even have single friends I could spend the day with. [Frown] Yes, there will be much ignoring of the day.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
dpr, it's not the actual court-papers date. It's the show-up-and-tell-a-second-judge-what-you've-got pre-court-date date.

And it may get canceled if we (read: the lawyers) can resolve this tomorrow; if we're close (as is fairly likely), it will probably get delayed.

And I've never celebrated Valentine's -- but it's still ironic, and not in a good way. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doing anything special for Valentine's Day?
Yes.

[Wink]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody's boyfriend is working late on Valentine's Day.

...but he's also taking me out to dinner the Saturday before.

[Big Grin]

[ February 08, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My sweetie is 3,000 miles away, so not much, really, except maybe an extra-long phone call that's a bit more sappy than usual.

On Feb. 15, though, I am going to celebrate Lupercalia and ritually sacrifice a goat.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to the question - NO!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably be doing homework and sleeping in. Fortunately, I ordered some chocolate when the chocolate website thread was on the first page, so I'm good on that front. Guess I'll celebrate AZ statehood too!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get a diner conference with a french Grand Maître Internationnal of chess, The 58th player of the world : Laurent Fressinet.

No comment...

St Valentin for me is a day to be depressive when you are single.
And I am single. [Frown]

So i prefer do not think this day is the day of lovers.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Every year, I write Mrs. R a love poem, and get her some flowers.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So those NOT doing Valentine's Day -- did you enjoy Mardi Gras instead? (we had King Cake and a party here -- for a co-worker who is a New Orleans native)

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I love Mardi gras [Big Grin] I am a crèpe cooker !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A European who celebrates Mardi Gras! How cool is that!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
We have doughnuts every year for Mardi Gras. Lotsa them.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
In Italy, Mardi Gras is called Carnivale.

[Smile]

Good times.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Mardi Gras or Carnival is celebrated any place with a large population of Catholics. So France, Spain Portugal, Italy and most of South American celebrate it.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I celebrated Mardi Gras. My church has a pancake supper so I went to that. Then I went to a small party. I am about to go to the Ash Wednesday service. I figure if you really celabrate Mardi Gras you should go should go to church the next day.
Choobak
Member # 7083

Mardi Gras is a french word [Wink]

It is the Day before Carème for Catholics. Carème is the period of no food before Ash Sunday and Pâcques. And Before We must Eat a lot, why "Gras".
So European (in majority Catholic) celebrate it.

And In Louisian (Ex French territory), people celebrate it too.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I doing anything special for Valentine's Day? Let's see . . . when is it, Monday? Well, in the morning I'm going to get up and go to work. Then in the evening I'll come home, watch "Good Eats", and probably have dinner of some kind. Then maybe I'll read for a bit, or play Civ III. Then I'll go to bed.

Yep, my day will be just packed.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to work. No big plans. Tuesday we’ll have our Valentine Hash House Harrier Run. So that’ll be about the extent of it for my Valentines Day. Maybe I should slip the Shop and Save deli girl a card….
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I slept through most of Mardi Gras. I really was going to go to New Orleans, but.....somehow sleep won out.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Update: I am no longer doing anything special on Valentine's! Yay! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah. [Smile] Hooray for continuances, and HOORAY for likely not needing the new dates.

Good lawyers are worth their weight in platinum. [Big Grin]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
And platinum, of course, is shiny.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* Indeed. And I posted my assessment before I saw the other thread. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Perhaps I'll read some Politics and History...

The last time I got Valentines from people other than the all-class ones that people give out nowadays was in England when I was eight.

Shawn I remember clearly reciving Valentines from, I'm not sure about Ian and Chris [Wink] .

I was prococious, back then [Roll Eyes] .

So, I still am, because I looked them up. It's quite surreal:

Ian's Band

[ROFL] I last saw Ian when I was seven. He moved to Germany shortly before I moved to Canada.

[ February 09, 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll probably celebrate Valentine's Day next weekend by going out to dinner. But Mr. Opera did bring me a pretty pink tulip yesterday and cotton candy today as part of his annual countdown to Valentine's Day ritual.

I'm making him a card which requires a bit of explanation. Mr. Opera calls our Home Depot the "Home Depot in the Sky" because it sits way up on a high above town. So, I'm giving him a HD gift card (how romantic, but he'll love it) in a homemade card that says, "Nothing says love like Home Depot in the Sky."

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Teshi, you should post something on their message board... like: Ian, was just thinking about you and wanted to say hello, from your kindergarten valentine.

[Big Grin]

It would be funny!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm so tempted.

But I'm not sure he would remember me well; after he moved I wrote him one or two letter that my mother still teases me about.

It's also just a little stalkerish, no?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, yeah. Go and be reasonable about it why don't you?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or do single people hate Valentine's Day far more than together people like it?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Well, yeah. Go and be reasonable about it why don't you?
It's one of my flaws! I always think every one is deadly serious and I always consider things literally!

[Dont Know]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
OOooooOOOOh, like on Profiler when Jack was stalking her and told her about her Sunday School class when she was little...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.