FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where have all the hippies gone??? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where have all the hippies gone???
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Sedona was mentioned.

Flagstaff, AZ is also a big one. When I went to NAU there, I saw quite a few.

Not sure if they were simply adopting the culture or were truly hippies.

Of course, I'd guess the same question could be asked about those who where hippies in the 60's and 70's. Some truly espousing the ideals. Others in it for the cultural "freedom".

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hippies themselves disagree about what a hippie is.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
The way I see it, I have sharp teeth for a reason, and boy do I like the way steak tastes. Mmmm...yummy cow. Also, there's something very primal about leaning over a plate of ribs and gnawing on the bones [Smile]
I suppose I'm just not as sophisticated as all you veggies [Wink]

[ February 08, 2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: TheHumanTarget ]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hippies are not necessarily vegetarians.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
A guy I lived with over the summer a few years ago, who was something of a hippy himself, had a t-shirt that read "I love vegetarians". He wasn't a vegetarian.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I love vegetarians too. They taste like chicken.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a whole lot of them here in Roanoke and a ton here at Hollins. In fact, the professor Andrew replaced this year (long hair, sleeps with all the single, female professors) informed me within 2 hours of our first meeting that he hates cops.

Most of them are not obnoxious like that, though. They're mostly very nice and they wear honest-to-goodness hippie clothing. Of course, Andrew is a Republican and I'm a libertarian NRA recruiter, so we're somewhat out of our element amongst them.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am all for being as healthy as possible, but I would never bust in on someone's conversation about coffee to tell them that white coffee filters have dioxin in them, like my first physical therapist did.
Yes, the appropriate thing to say is "paper coffee filters? You do know they make re-usable ones, don't you?"
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I'm a non-vegetarian hippie. But, McD's...ewww. HippyGirl, have you reas "Fast Food Nation"?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Who cares what's in the cheeseburger. The question is 'Does it taste good'?
[Wink] Mmmm.
If you want a really interesting view on what's in your food, do a search on the Agriculture Dept's acceptable limits for dead rats, mice, rodents, and "fecal matter" in our wheat, corn meal, and produce.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I had a promising short story idea that satirizes both NRA/hunting culture as well as the hippie/PETA/vegan crowd. This thread might give me good input, I hope. [Smile]

[ February 08, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

**Confession**

I watched "Supersize Me" last week with my daughter. What did I want to eat the whole way through the movie? McDonald's. It's sad, I know, but true.

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

Mmmm, as far as taste goes, nothing will cure you of McD's like a well-made buffalo burger.

Now, that's what bovine is supposed to taste like.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We have a bison farm nearby, and I have been working up the nerve...
It is not that a McD's burger tastes better than a good, all beef burger, it is the whole package o' taste. I just love it. No cure necessary, I just don't have it very often.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm helping butcher a buffalo the traditional way next week.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ew!
Reminds me of "chicken harvest" at the first school I taught at.

NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge
Member # 5588

- posted      Profile for NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge   Email NewbTheTERRIBLErEVENge         Edit/Delete Post 
"I watched "Supersize Me" last week with my daughter. What did I want to eat the whole way through the movie? McDonald's. It's sad, I know, but true."

I think perhaps such films and books are only meant as a conspiracy to get the evil inclinations of the human spirit to buy still more junk.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.