FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SteveRogers, Come On Down! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: SteveRogers, Come On Down!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew them all except #8 -- I mean, I know ONE of his logins, but didn't realize he had more than one.

Geoff, however, I know his....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
6. What is the significance of the quote "It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it!"

The significance of this quote is………………I think it might be in the Princess Bride but for me the significance of this quote is because that is exactly the kind of person I am…….I make jokes that shouldn’t be funny but are…..and tinker with useless objects….

I would like a more complete answer to this question... remember, this is a jatraquero rite of passage, so you shold be looking here on the forum to find the significance.

Other than that and what rivka mentioned, good start!

The rest of you, behave!

[ February 04, 2005, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*whines*

do I get any validation for knowing the 15 countries?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Validation:

"You're good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you."

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Razz]

thank you.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] Yes, Kama, you're fabulous. I can only come up with 13, and two of the the posters aren't exactly what you'd call currently active.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, how apropos it is for you to be dispensing advice on non-corporeality.

[ February 04, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Geoff, I sent your mother the link of the picture of the non-related hatracker who resembles OSC, and she thought the resemblance was striking too. They appear to be of similar ages too [Wink]

It is enough, that several people, including myself who have met your Dad did massive double takes upon meeting the other person. Admittedly we haven't spent the same amount of time around your dad that you have, so you'd probably never mistake one for the other.

But if your dad ever needed a body double to fool the masses for some reason, I think this person would.

AJ

[ February 04, 2005, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I'm glad I resigned my self to being nonexistant a long time ago. There is no way I could answer most of these. I might be able to find half of the answers, but I'd definately be stuck on most of them.

But as a fun fact, I'm watching The Price is Right at this very moment! Which I think is fun considering the title of the thread.

~Irish

[ February 04, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: IrishAphrodite19 ]

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched X-Men 2: X-Men United this week, and did the extreme double-take when I saw Stryker. I'd forgotten how Bryan Singer modeled him on OSC. [Razz]

Oh, I could do all except the OSC's multiple logins thing. I didn't know that!

[ February 04, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed by the questions... and extraordinarily glad I'm counting myself grandfathered (grandmothered?) in to being a Jatraquera.

That said, I only know all but one of them (the countries). I have been here almost forever... [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of twelve countries one of which may not necessarily have a resident at this present moment.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm trying to figure out the OSC multiple-screen name question by searching one user # at a time.

I realize this is going to be long and tedious this way, but I can't think of any easier way to do it.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

The OSC logins one was one of rivka's, too. I only know one of his logins, and only because I saw him post.

It had to be at least a little challenging, or it wouldn't seem like he was actually accomplishing anything. [Smile] <- That should really be a halo smilie, if we had one. But I think some of you aren't giving yourself enough credit. I bet you could find all the answers with a little creative searching.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey ElJay -- just curious. Did TomD buy a KamaCon shirt? Because if he did, it kinda goes against a statement I found in one of his landmarks.....

[Big Grin] FG

(yeah, I'm doing this to just to have something to do)

[ February 04, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good old ZBM. I wonder whatever happened to hem?

*sigh*

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't believe he did, no. I'd have to check my spreadsheet at home to be sure, but I don't remember him purchasing one.

Let me say again how cool I thought it was that you and Ivy made your own "nametag" shirts for the first day. That was really neat.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
i didn't think tom d had done landmarks (i remember him saying he hadn't)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hmmm.. Well, This is the one I read - for his 8000th post back in 2002.

Farmgirl

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
oops....I was looking in the wrong place....ok well I need help with that one then(the OSC multiple log ins one).....and the countries one and the states one.........and sorry Dag.....ok so Dag is a guy.....other than that I don't have any answers yet...and the one ElJay told me to redo......I am having problems finding answers for some of these.....

[ February 04, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hints:

There is a thread that lists where people live, as well as a thread about a mapping website where you can stick pins in your location.

The quote has had several threads devoted to it, so searching for a portion of it in "subject only" would probably be helpful.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
It surprises me that some people think this is hard. I haven't been around that long and I think I could answer two thirds off the top of my head and look up the other third without too much trouble. Maybe I just remeber things like this better then some other people. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

.....I'm not finding anything.....could someone possibly give me some links......because the search thing isn't helping me at all....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Steve, type "that's the beauty of it" in the search field and change "Search in" to "Subject only" with the drop-down menu.

Part of my intent is to get you to use the search function, so nope, I'm not giving you links. For the states/countries one, try "hatrack map" in "subject only." That will get you one of the two threads I referenced above.

[Smile]

punwit
Member # 6388

Ahh, but then, Grasshopper, you wouldn't really be earning your Jatraquero designation. Be steadfast, diligent and pay attention as you read other's posts. Illumination will surely come.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because the search thing isn't helping me at all
And thus Steve has learned a bit more about what it means to be a jatraquero.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an actual answer for #7? I think I could do most of them with the search, can I try it too ElJay or is it only for Steve?

[ February 04, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: JaimeBenlevy ]

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Jamie, if you'd like to try it you can e-mail your answers to me at eljay at hotmail dot com, and I'll happily say if I agree with you or not, and declare you official when you're done if you want me to. I'd rather you didn't post answers in this thread, since I put it up for Steve.

As far as #7, the question is how many can you find, so of course there's an answer to it... however many you can find. After you answer, I'll let you know if I happened to find more or not. (Honestly, I haven't seriously looked yet, so I'm not sure what the answer will be. [Smile] )

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Furthermore, I remain CONVINCED that "It doesn't DO anything; that's the beauty of it" is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. No one will ever persuade me otherwise.
Tom said it so it must be right....is this better....
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
No, because it's not from any of the books in the series.

[ February 04, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: urbanX ]

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

1. Name 15 states where Hatrackers live and specify at least one Hatracker per state. (Example: Missouri, SteveRogers)

1. Missouri(SteveRogers)

2. Texas(Feyd Baron)

3. California(saxon75)

4. Louisiana(Avadaru)

5. Minnesota(Traveler)

6. Idaho(Frisco)

7. Kansas(FarmGirl)

8. Arizona(slacker)

9. Illinios(xnera)

10. Montanna(Annie)

11. Indiana(Hobbes)

12. New York(The Tick Family)

13. Georgia(IrishAprodite19)

14. South Carolina(Katie DeShane)

15. Hawaii(Zotto)

There!!! [Taunt]

And I even added myself to the map!! [Razz]

[ February 05, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

punwit's not from missouri...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

5. Name 10 countries where Hatrackers live and specify at least one hatracker per country.

1. United States of America(SteveRogers)

2. Norway(St. Yogi)

3. Australia(Ethics Gradient)

4. Poland(Kama)

5. France(Anna)

6. England(Amira Tharani)

7. Israel(Jonathan Howard)

8. Japan(enjeeo)

9. Canada(Fitz)

10. Sri Lanka(Fahim)

[ February 05, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

punwit
Member # 6388

There is at least one mistake in you state/member list. Hint: Click on each members pins to see if there are any clues.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what's with the use of "Hatrackers" in the Jatraquero Rite of Passage? [No No]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

8. OSC has several logins (all variants of his name). What is the member number of at least one of his logins?

Orson Scott Card
Member # 209

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

....but.....punwit......that doesn't help.....where is the mistake...... [Dont Know]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

oh yeah and Farm Girl where in Kansas do you live??? [Dont Know]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, there's something wrong with your list still. Hint: check out a thread about a recent disaster.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I just realized I'm giving him advice and I've only been here 2 or 3 months longer than him.

I really need a life.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] ding ding ding!

In all honesty, while I know that OSC has other log-ins (and with some searching could probably remind myself of them), that is the only one I know off-hand.

Nice work, Steve! *thumbsup* Do note the comments people have made about your jatraquero/state list, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Steve,

Why do you ask?

Farmgirl

ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmmm. The only one of your new answers I would accept as 100% correct is #8 for OSC's login.

The quote one I think you just need to keep reading the thread... and I don't think there is anyone on this board who I would accept that something is correct just because they said it, even and/or especially Tom, depending on how snarky he seems to be feeling at the moment. [Wink]

Kama
Member # 3022

2. Norway(St. Yogi)

That would be 16. I knew there were more!

My list:

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Brasil
4. Sri Lanka
5. Singapore
6. New Zealand
7. Australia
8. Poland
9. Sweden
10. France
11. UK
12. Ireland
13 Czech Rep.
14. Romania
15. Isreal

I wasn't counting Japand cause it's not where enjeeo is from originally.

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else notice that Orson Scott Card is member number 209 and has 209 posts? That has to be intentional.

Doesn't he use OrsonScottCard on the rare occasions that he posts these days?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Are you giving him the answers? [Eek!]
Nato
Member # 1448

Are you asking me or Kama?
quote:
SteveRogers said:
8. OSC has several logins (all variants of his name). What is the member number of at least one of his logins?

Orson Scott Card
Member # 209

He just answered that one, and rivka confirmed that he was correct.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kama. I was asking Kama. You hadn't posted when I hit reply.
Nato
Member # 1448

Ah, my apologies, kq.

Ooh, here's a question:
Who were the original four members of the Hatrack Mafia?

I doubt it would be fair to ask Steve that though; he'd have no chance.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have no chance. What a cruel, cruel question. Under penalty, we were ordered to keep that information qui...

Oh. You're talking about a game. Never mind.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.