FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quit Hasseling Jay (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quit Hasseling Jay
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me, he's just like that itch that you can't quite reach it to scratch. But every so often you still try, manically.
See, Ryuko, to me, that's Tres.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, to clarify, you're saying we should look for the pearls of wisdom that pop up in Jay's strings of cheerings and jeerings?

And, as for the last bit, are you saying that if you had demanded respect, you'd be in jail?

Yes and yes.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth did I do that was so bad?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're just bored, Jay. The election is over, life goes on..... and you are something to talk about...

[Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
No, FG, that's not it. Well, maybe that's it with you, but not with me.

[ February 03, 2005, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my whole point... [Smile]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Elizabeth
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, go back and read your posts on the first page of the State of the Union thread. Stuff like this alienates people:
quote:
You must be a John McCain Republican then.
Every TRUE Republican I know is soooo excited about this speech and the whole Presidency and defends Bush at every opportunity.

...and the fact that at every opportunity you belittle what you perceive to be the opinions of other board members. Seriously, it's possible to disagree, even vigorously, without scorning and belittling those you're disagreeing with.

It isn't your beliefs; it's your tone. There are plenty of people who disagree with each other here and do so in a careful, well-thought-out manner. That's the way this particular community works. As I said up-thread, try to speak in a tone that shows respect for all members of the community, and you'll fit in just fine!

I don't have anything personal against you. I enjoy your presence in the fluff threads, and I even like the little daily food thing, as long as it's kept to one thread (no reason to have multiple threads that serve the same purpose, imho!).

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Irami, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that the situation in which you might have gone to jail is drastically different from the current one.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Nah, it's similar in the relevant way and has nothing to do with the Internet and everything to do with being young and black.
Jay
Member # 5786

I really don’t get how that is so insulting. I think I’ve heard a zillion times how Zell Miller isn’t a true Democrat. So how is saying that one of the liberal Republicans isn’t a true Republican any different?
Besides, she called herself a conservative. She never said she was a Republican. You’re assuming she’s a Republican by lumping her into that. I half expected her to respond and say, “No, I’m an independent and John McCain isn’t so bad” Then we could have chatted about McCain for a while. Which would have been fun. I like him ok.
The way you all are talking I’m so nasty going around name calling and making it seem like liberals should be hunted down.
Sheeze….. All I’m saying is what has really got ya all to think I’m that bad?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
::considers behaving rude from now on so he can get a couple of threads dedicated to himself::

Judas

(no, not really) [Roll Eyes]

Edit: I don't think you're all that rude, Jay.

[ February 03, 2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Judas ]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Irami, I'll take your word for it, unless you'd like to expound further. Since I do not know the situation, I'm really not sure how a comparison could be made.

Jay, again, I'm talking about your general tone. Do you really think that the way that you say things is respectful to other people's opinions?

For example, calling other board members "hate mongers":
quote:
I did a mass delete when the last food thread got hate mongers attacking.
Or, how about this:
quote:
But discussing at times here has been rough because of the bias shown towards me. I rather be slammed on a point then the typical non discussion that seems to happen.
Oh well. Guess I’m off topic here. I think I hear the thread police coming.

Do you think this sounds respectful? Is this how you would talk to any one of us, if you met us on the street? Or in a friend's living room, as the analogy is so often made?
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, they were. It was just on and on. I didn’t see the big deal on why you’d want to bump an old thread instead of starting a new one. And it was all being negative towards me which seemed to be caused from the political debates. Sort of like how that no matter what Bush says he gets slammed by his detractors. I was feeling that too.
I’m still not seeing it. I really don’t feel like I’ve been a mean terrible person like is being said.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jay: And it was all being negative towards me which seemed to be caused from the political debates. Sort of like how that no matter what Bush says he gets slammed by his detractors. I was feeling that too.
quote:
mackillian: he's got a serious martyr complex.
Mackillian seems to have a point.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I like Jay. Having him around is what I imagine it would be like if Sean Hannity was an active member of our community.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*Groan*
Sean Hannity >.<

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Again, it's not that you're being particularly mean, or terrible. You're just not being particularly respectful to your fellow posters. Most of them will just respond by ignoring you, until you tick them off so much they feel the need to address what you're doing.

About Bush, though...My friend, that happens with EVERY politician. Every last one has detractors that never say anything good about him. The fact is that many people here have serious, well-founded, thoroughly thought-out reservations about our current president. Every time you jeer at them for expressing reservations, you're implying that they have not, in fact, thought out their positions.

People have their reservations about you too, because of the way you've behaved. If you intend to remain here peacefully, eventually you will have to adjust to the culture of the board. We treat each other with respect here.

And, on that note, I really must go. I hope you seriously consider some of the things said, and I hope you stick around. See you later!

Megan
Member # 5290

Ok, that's weird. Hatrack ate my post!

Edit: [Blushing] heehee...never mind.

[ February 03, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Megan: [Hail]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, maybe you should just refrain from talking about other posters for a few days. Take a break and watch what others do. Reply to others' posts, but only talk about what they said, not about them. See if you can do it for two days, and after the two days, see if people are happier with you. While you're doing this, watch how others who are respected on this forum talk to each other. See if you can pick up what they're doing that's different from what you're doing. I'd really like to be able to read your posts without feeling like someone's under attack. It's okay to attack a position, but not a person. Just like in Speech and Debate. Were you ever in Speech and Debate? The rule is that no personal attacks are allowed, and you should back your position on the subject being debated up with as much fact as possible.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So how is saying that one of the liberal Republicans isn’t a true Republican any different?
McCain is hardly liberal. He's not even really moderate.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay: the problem as I see it is that you have felt free to announce on behalf of other people what they think, why they think it, and even with which political party they should identify.

And then when they tell you that your description of their own feelings is inaccurate, you insist that, no, you know them better than they know themselves.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I’m still glowing over the comparison to Sean Hannity. He’s one of my heroes.
If pointing out liberalism is telling people what they think I guess I’m guilty.
Is this how you fell about Rush and Sean?

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny. This morning I used the "searching" form and it gave me the thread about OSC-fan, remember ? It wasn't what I was searching for, but I read it (I was very bored). And just now there is this thread about Jay. I believe the offense is less hard though, and that Jay could become someone valuable for this board, would he mind to care a little more about the persons he's talking with, which I didn't think about OSC-fan. Or maybe I'm in a better mood.

[ February 04, 2005, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, from my casual reading of the board these past few months, I'd say Jay is a packed head inside a thick skull.

I guess he reminds me of Leto, in a way - a lot of things to say, just difficulty expressing them in a civilized and mature way.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say, I don't see much in common between Jay and Leto.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.