FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your must-see movies for 2005? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your must-see movies for 2005?
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity is the movie spawned from Firefly.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, jus thought of it, the was a new anime movie (Appleseed) realeased a couple of weeks ago that i really, really wanna see.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars. [Razz]

There's an Indy 4? Gosh, I don't know if I can bring myself to see it. I suppose I will have to.

HGTTG

hmm . . . I guess that's about it.

Oh, wait. Harry Potter.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity is the film based on Joss Whedon's short-lived Firefly television series. If you haven't heard of it, you owe it to yourself to get ahold of the DVD set, as the few episodes of Firefly that we got were some of the best character-driven science fiction in the history of television.

The show's basic premise was a western in space (down to a quirky hybridization of western slang, six-shooters, and Millennium Falcon-esque spaceships), but to reduce it to its setting is really doing it a disservice. What really made Firefly shine was how effectively it worked as a character piece, juggling between nine extremely different (and for the most part, equally fascinating) personalities with wit, humor, and well-executed drama. It also features a beautiful score that blends a variety of styles ranging from world music to westerny acoustic guitar.

Plus, there's no sound in space!

Oh, in keeping with the topic at hand, here's my list:

Serenity (duh [Wink] )
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Howl's Moving Castle
King Kong
Batman Begins
The Corpse Bride

[ February 02, 2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Tarrsk ]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
What Dagonee said.

Whenever I want to get someone pumped over Begins, all I have to say is

Michael Caine
Liam Neeson
Gary Oldman
Morgan Freeman
Rutger Hauer
Christian Bale
and
Christopher Nolan (or, the guy who did Memento to the uninformed)

Constantine is already a disappointment to me. They take a great, lovable character and stick him in LA and give the human robot the acting job. The best things about Constantine were that he was a seedy, smart aleck, alcoholic, chainsmoking, obscene, Limey SOB. You could always find him in the back of some grimy pub drinking his Guinness and smoking his Silk Cuts. Now... Budweiser and Marlboros? It just doesn't work. The appeal of the character is his Britishness.

Paul Bettany was such a better idea.

[ February 03, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.