FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Worst Dish You Ever Ate (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Worst Dish You Ever Ate
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I HATED that book.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna pizza with strawberries...and no, I am not making that up. I was visiting another country and had stayed too long at a pizza buffet. I think they brought it out to run us off.

Not to be driven off, we ate it with a smile and asked for more.

*shivers*

The things pride drives us to do. [Angst]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Popcornbaby
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for Popcornbaby   Email Popcornbaby         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom made us cabbage leaves stuffed with rice, walnuts, and maple syrup. It was pretty bad. We still like to remind her of that. It makes us all laugh.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia, I do not blame you, it was brutal.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a toss-up between blood sausage with applesauce and boiled pig heart. Although I once had a lightly cooked liver. The whole time I was eating it I thought it was a tongue. Finding out it was liver didn't help.

The worst cookie I ever ate was made by a lady who kept about 10 cats in her apartment. I took a bite of the cookie and then looked at it. There were cat hairs sticking out of it.

I'm surprised that lady didn't cough up hairballs regularly. Maybe she did.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, then, Homestarrunner, you probably ate yourself some hairballs, too.

EW!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to pretend you didn't say that.

:puke:

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in third grade or so I went on a winter "camping trip" (read: we stayed in the camp's infirmary with running water and heat and beds) with my girl scout troop. One patrol was in charge of "cooking" the spaghetti (read, every so often one girl would be allowed to stir), but the adults were really the only ones near the food. Once dinner was ready we kids sat down to eat the pasta before the adults finished getting the rest of the food. When they came back into the room to all (30 or so) of us complaining that it tasted gross, they said we all had to eat or we would go hungry. So we tried to force ourselves to eat the burny-ick. Then the leaders tasted it, declared it tasted like eating cigarettes, and we got s'mores for dinner. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You were in third grade and they didn't let you cook on your own? (I mean, with supervision and a little help, but doing most of the planning and work.) That's kinda not nice.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad was a chef when I was growing up (he's a motel manager now, just to clarify), and I always was an adventurous eater. When he dumped chicken grease in the stuffing (without skimming the fat off), I started paying more attention to what he was feeding me. *grin*

I made a pretty gross meal last night (not the *worst*, but yucky nonetheless). It's something that usually comes out right, but something very very wrong happened.

I made lumpia (philippine eggrolls--store bought, I'm not a masochist) in the deep fryer, and the oil was not hot enough. So the lumpia was saturated. Blecch.

I also made rice (in my wonderful Rice Cooker!), but I used regular long-grain rice instead of Japanese rice. I hate when I run out of the good rice, the long-grain rice gets soggy. Bleah.

Then I tried something different! (so so wrong of me to do this on Pinewood Derby night! I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention) I thought that if I added cornstarch and teriyaki sauce to the broccoli, I could make something yummy. Unfortunately, I used too much cornstarch and everything got gummy. Not yummy, gummy.

Brave, hungry Chuck ate lumpia and rice.

I didn't even try feeding it to the six-year-old.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
In jr high we disected cow's eyeballs in biology class. I was surprised how difficult they were to cut. One of the boys managed to sneak an eyeball out of class and chased the girls with it during recess. He stuck it to a girl's cheek, and she screamed and flailed, trying to get it off.

On my mission to Japan my companion and I were served a delicious custard for desert. I was really enjoying it, digging in without even looking. I felt something large and squishy in my mouth. I looked at my companion and saw a cow's eyeball on the edge of his plate. I swallowed without even chewing.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Tom, my periyuka recipe is up. Come post your mom's pierogis?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is the worst dish I have ever eaten, but it was the first thing to come to mind.

A few months ago, McDonald's did this new thing where they added an "Authentic Philly Cheesesteak" to their line of sandwiches.

I chose the cheesesteak for two reasons: First, my brother had eaten a real cheesesteak when he went up to Philadelphia to visit Drexel. I had chosen not to go, and thus was left without the experience. Second, I wanted to try something new-- I've eaten cheesesteaks before, but never one from McDonald's.

I should have known better.

It came in package that was about eight inches long. The sandwich was even shorter. (We need to make something very clear: in order to qualify as an "Authentic Philly Cheesesteak", it most be at least a foot long.) I remember that the package was oily on the bottom, but I didn't think anything of it at the time (hey, it was McDonald's, right?).

So I open the package, and there lies the most disgusting sandwich I have ever seen in my life. It was in a puddle of grease-- yes, a puddle of grease-- about half a centimeter deep. When I picked it up, the thing sorta wilted.. you know, the type of thing you get when you pick up a dead fish.

When I bit it... oh my word, when I bit it, to the day I die, I will never forget the feeling. I could not comprehend how something so greasy could be so dry and gamey. I can't describe how it tasted because there was no taste, not even saltiness-- just grease and ... ugh. Every chew was painful. Swallowing was worse.

... I need to stop now. [Angst]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"It came in package that was about eight inches long. The sandwich was even shorter."

It tasted terrible, and the portion was too small!

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't eat anything from McDonald's. Their beef doesn't taste like beef. Their chicken doesn't taste like chicken. Plus, they're evil.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I made the mistake of eating in Tijuana on our honeymoon to San Diego. The refried beans smelled like pasture patties. I swear there were little bits of chewed grass mixed in, but we ate the beans anyway. We had Montezuma's revenge for the rest of our honeymoon.

Barbequed pig's intestines have interesting lumps that feel like sandpaper on your tongue.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
hot vit lon. It took years before I could crack open eggs again, and a few more before I could eat one without gagging.

:blech:

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquid Charcoal, in the hospital.

*shudders*

Nasty nasty nasty nasty stuff.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.