FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fare Ye Well (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fare Ye Well
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes [Smile]

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
But, actually, I did mean it. I am pretty careful about checking my facts before I post in debate threads - I don't like being jumped on.
Facts, certainly. But spelling...

That's what happens when I don't have JaneX looking over my shoulder correcting my spelling and grammar as I'm posting.
[Embarrassed] [Razz]

And, Adam, how come I never see you on your work aim anymore? [No No]

[ January 06, 2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan it's not a life or death one time only decision. You can always leave for a day, week, month or year and come back. Many of us have taking a hiatus or two in the past.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think TomD is ancient (30+) now [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[No No]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
<clueless>
Annie is Morgan Majors?
When did this happen? I always wondered about why she left Hatrack
</clueless>

[ January 06, 2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
quote:
I haven't been that active, so I don't really understand why you feel the need to live, but I don't really see any reason for you to do so.
What made me laugh is how almost-perfectly it works when read as written.

But really, you're not advising Johnathan to committ suicide, are you?

Silly Icky. [No No]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
And my father always claimed women are VERY multifunctional.

<!--
<thinking>
alert("Error! Impossible procedure!");
process("Debate1");
print("Result" on "Debate1" from "process");
</thinking>
-->

Look, Ela, I won't suicide. I will live and probably not leave. I won't leave yet. I'm addicted to Hatrack.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
How lovely... You all persuaded me to stay. You should all be in the Governemt or something: each will make a smarter president than the current one, a smarter vice that the current; etc.

Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Newbies take note. Zalmoxis provided you with this convenient OSC guide.

All your OSC questions answered

Enjoy.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it Jonathan!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks to you as well, Noemon! You are one I look up towards.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're staying, Jonathan. I think it's great that you're trying to be aware of the customs around here. The fact that you even notice them and attempt to follow them speaks well of you. And don't worry about being young--I was seventeen when I joined the forum, and I felt pretty young and inexperienced then too. Actually, I still do. I guess we all have a lot to learn from each other. It's wonderful to get the perspective of adults who are older and more experienced, as well as the views of the young adults who have a different set of experiences.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sorry, Raia
It looks like I'm too late to convince you to stay, but I'll still add my two cents...

There is no need to apologize to me. You haven't done anything to offend me. I think I speak for many of us when I say that. We all write posts sometimes that either touch the nerves of others or repeat things that others have said. I don't see anything particularly wrong with that, and I think some of the comments on that thread were very rude, personally. I think you're a great person, and a lovely Jatraquero, and I would also be very sad to see you go. Incidentally, I'm glad that the collective Hatrack community convinced you to stay!

Btw, everyone, he's as nice in person as he is here. Just thought I'd mention, for the record. [Wink]

Glad you're staying, Jonny... don't leave just yet!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Not yet 30. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

You were not too late. You are the final straw that broke the camel's back (my stubbornness of 'leaving').

You're really cheerful here, and a true personality so remarkable that none would ever let YOU drop out of Hatrack. But in real life we get your real, physical smile (and schoolkids that still 'Point & Laugh').

Thanks Raia, I apologise to the following people I put them on the Apology List...

Sorry, Tom; sorry, Raia; sorry, Sara Sasse; sorry, Farmgirl; sorry, WheatPuppet; sorry, Dagonee; sorry, dkw; sorry, quidscribis; sorry, mackillian; sorry, mr_porteiro_head; sorry, Kwea; sorry, rivka; sorry, King of Men; sorry, advice for robots; sorry, Boris; sorry, Bean Counter; sorry, Stan the man; sorry, kaioshin00; sorry, Icarus; sorry, fugu13; sorry, The ReaI Katrina/Katharina/Katherine (unable to recall! *Sob + extended apologies.*); sorry, Verily the Younger; sorry, Da_Goat; sorry, Storm Saxon; sorry, tt&t; sorry, Annie; sorry, Kama; sorry, Elizabeth; sorry, PSI Teleport; sorry, ae; sorry, Papa Moose; sorry, raventh1; sorry, Vadon; sorry, Boon.

Jonny

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep that up, boy, and I'm going to make you issue a meta-apology.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Thanks to you as well, Noemon! You are one I look up towards.
[Smile] Thanks!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Oh God, last time I read supplements to the Russell Paradox I got freaked out by meta-meta-meta-meta language.

If that was a threat, then I will... You know... I will... Do... Well, no need to mention... Because, I'll... Oh, whatver!

(((Tom))) - for being so kind and helpful while raising post-count.

Raia
Member # 4700

*hug Jonny* Thanks! Back atcha. [Smile]

(edit: As for the schoolkids, would you like me to get off of the Har and beat them up for you? [Wink] )

[ January 06, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Russell paradox for apologies:

"I apologize to everyone who is a person who will never receive an apology from me.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Look, Ela, I won't suicide. I will live and probably not leave. I won't leave yet. I'm addicted to Hatrack.
I'm so glad to hear that, Jonathon. [Smile]

quote:
quote:
And my father always claimed women are VERY multifunctional.
He's right. It's very unlike Ela to only be able to do 5 things at once.

*Kisses Adam, one of the two best nephews ever.* [Wink] [Kiss]

Not getting enough sleep. So sue me. [Razz]

quote:
quote:
And, Adam, how come I never see you on your work aim anymore?
I had to use an allow-only list because I was being harassed, and I can't keep non-co-workers on my work buddy list (for obvious reasons)

Too bad. [Frown] Guess I'll have to chat with you when I catch you on aim at home. [Smile]

[ January 06, 2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

The Russel Meta-Paradox of apologies:

"I apologise to all those who got the message from me that I - 'apologise to all those who are humans who received an apology from me'."

Jonny

[ January 06, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
All this happened while I was asleep, so I'm a little late on posting. Too bad!

Jonathon, I have no idea why you were apologizing to me, either. I don't recall you ever doing anything that offended me. Granted, I have a lousy memory anyway, which tends to mean that only those who are repeat offenders stay in my mind. So, basically, uh, dunno what yer talkin' 'bout. [Dont Know]

Also agree with other comments that you do not, in fact, come across as a snot-nosed brat of 14. You present yourself well. Not to say that you can't make improvements, but that same thing applies to all of us. We all have twitchy days where we say things in such a way that they come across not exactly as we intended. Oh well. Such is life. Get over it and move on. (I'm not saying I recall you doing anything like that - I don't. I'm talking in general terms.)

Um, well, you've already decided to stay, so I don't need to convince you of that. I just don't think you have anything to feel bad over. You weren't anything at all like certain others who would criticize, condemn, heckle, call names, attack, degrade, and otherwise piss off. You're pretty harmless. Perhaps not what you want to read, but for 14, it's pretty good.

Glad to know you're staying. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, I'm not on the list. Perhaps I should try harder.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
T, you've been a tad busy lately. Don't worry, give it a month or two, and you'll be getting apologies. [Wink]

Jonny, I don't need an apology either. While I did come down on your for that most recent thread (and was probably harsher than I intended -- sorry about that), and have certainly not always agreed with you, I think you are a great kid. [Smile] I'm glad you've decided to stick around.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't aware I had the name recognition to get apologised to. Um. You're ruining my self-image as that guy people vaguely remember. [Smile]

It's great you're staying, Jonathan. [Big Grin]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Confused]

I'm on the list of apologies to.....why? JH, you never had a reason to apologize to me. Hardly anybody does for anything. It is really hard to truly tick me off or offend me. I guess out of courtesy I could accept it, but I see no reason beyond that. Sit back for a few days and see if you feel different about leaving.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Now then, if you DO want a list of people who could do better by apologizing to people, I can help ya there. . . [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think my smartest move was to leave the Christianity thread alone...
I agree completely. [Big Grin]

Believe it or not I too am glad that you are sticking around. Just because you pissed some people off doesn't mean you have to leave, or even that you should. If that was true I wouldn't have lasted a month here....yet here I am, 4 years later (almost).

here is a good rule of thumb...don;t laugh at peoples religions or their political views. Not only does it tick people off it doesn't sevre a good purpose. You can do it if you want, but it rarely works out well for anyone envolved.

The first thing you quoted was from me, and I am sorry if I was too harsh. I wasn't sure if you were just young, or if you were deliberatly trying to provoke people here, and considering some of the things that had happened here recently I assumed the worse.

I STILL don't think that was too bright... [Big Grin] ...but that isn't a crime. Being young is something we have all gone through, and most of us survived it pretty well, all things considered.

Listen here and you will find things that you may not have heard elsewhere....and ask lots of questions about things that interest you.

And for God's sake, stop apoligizing! [Wink]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I guess I apologised for all those whom I have written replies to, or those who wrote replies to me, or those whose name was familiar.

I'm sorry i apologised to... Wait a sec... I used the Russel Meta-Paradox of Apologis already...

Cheers, all; and thanks.

No-one is late to reassure my, by the way.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Joined the Young Writers' Forum... Thank for the advice.

I thank you all from heartness deep,
For you gave me advice,
Advice which status raises steep,
My thanks, it was so nice.

(Made it up now.)

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you decided to stay! Being only 15, I usually feel quite ill-prepared and inexperienced to stick my neck out participate in the really serious discussions. I applaud you for doing so! Hats off to you! [Hat]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Put them on the rack...

Anyway, join as well; two in mid-teens can definitely try to collectively contribute. That's the way to get your voice heard here... Being "mown down by journalist fire" didn;t stop nVidia from releasing the next-card-in-line. Being "mown down by Hatrack criticism" can get you to be a true Hatracker.

I'm on the other side of the wall! [ROFL]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And he doesn't apologise to the Australians! [Grumble]

[Smile]

Seriously, John - I'm glad you're staying. Hatrack provides oppurtunities for personal growth as much as entertainment. I think it is a Thoroughly Good Thing.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I never knew you were an Aussie, mate!

My apologies for that [Wink] .

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad you're staying. Even if you may have made some mistakes or whatever, there's always a chance to change.

I might have the opposite problem from you. I'm usually so terrified that I might say something stupid or offensive or to make people mad at me that I don't say anything. You have been known to say things that offend people without realizing why.

We should band together and form an unstoppable superhero team...

These mistakes are understandable, considering that, as I recall, you have English as a second language, right? Add that to the age thing, and most everyone would be willing to forgive you as long as you don't keep making the same mistakes.

I think you'll do fine. [Smile]

[ January 07, 2005, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'm a native English speaker. My first word was "light". I'm bi-lingual, though, which is a terrible fate, if your luck is as good as Murphy's.

I simply confuse phrases... And my punctuation is unique in both languages.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"We should band together and form an unstoppable superhero team."

Shy Girl and Motormouth?

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're bilingual, what is your second language ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

He's an up and coming newbie with a propensity for sticking his foot in his mouth. She's a seasoned veteran who is reluctant to speak up. Together they fight crime!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
If you're bilingual, what is your second language?
Hebrew.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey now, I'm not shy. I'm just overly cautious...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ayh, Noemon, it brings back fond memories of the Crappy Superhero thread, one of my all time favorites.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]
Raia
Member # 4700

*high fives Jonny*

Fluent Hebrew speakers rock, n'est-ce pas? [Wink]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

You and your professor's French...

Actually, fluent Hebrew speakers, in most cases (in Israel), speak Hebrew as well as they do Arabic (or Chinese, for that matter).

Raia
Member # 4700

Then they're not fluent, hehe.

And "n'est-ce pas" is hardly professor's French! [Razz]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Oh, they're fluent all right, but horrible grammar. Worse than my Latin!

All I know is that you learned your French from your profssor who... writes your assignments!

BTW, you still owe me an e-mail! [Razz]

[ January 08, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Raia
Member # 4700

*checks*

Not according to my e-mail, it says the last one exchanged was the one I sent.

My computer or yours? [Confused]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.