FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You might not agree with this war, but what were doing must be done. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: You might not agree with this war, but what were doing must be done.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I cannot understand most of what you wrote.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you intentionally misspell "quote" three times? Because otherwise, that's pretty impressive...
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered a few remedial English classes?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The multiple misspellings are probable a cut-n-paste error.
quote:
Have you considered a few remedial English classes?
[No No]

[ January 05, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice, guys. [Smile]

TDP, the standard on the forum here is to use more formal grammar and spelling care. This doesn't mean that there aren't other forums where the usual form of communication is quite different, and appropriately so, but it is unusual here (at the site of a writer).

I didn't mean to jump on your case, just explain why you might not get many substantive replies.

By the way, welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I was impressed the way he kept spelling something - somen. I was wondering if it was supposed to be along the lines of sumptin.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I initially read it as "semen," but I figured it out from context. Makes my head hurt, though.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He corrupted the minds of millions(Binladian also) of people into thinking that this country is terrible for having freedom and that we alow women to do things in society, our differences and freedom make them hate us more.
AFAIK, this is completely false. The discontent with America--and the West in general--has been brewing among many in the Middle East for a long time. Those who would manipulate that discontent are doing so out of a desire for power.

Saddam poisoned no minds, to my knowledge. In fact, before we kicked over his struggling government two years ago, he was doing very little to directly antagonize us. That includes raise up funadmentalist terrorist organizations. He was unhappy with foreign inspectors in his country--I imagine he feared it was a witch hunt. The only thing Saddam did poison were thousands of Kurds in northern Iraq. He will be brought to trial for that (among other things) in an international court--something that should have happened 14 years ago.

quote:

[I don't understand the point of this paragraph up until] ...someone must pay for the thousands that died on that horrible day of 9/11.

Why must people unrelated to our conflict with Terrorists be punished? The Iraqi people certainly weren't to blame for the September 11th attacks. Nor was Saddam himself. Also, in bringing these terrorists to "justice", we've lost close to half again the number of Americans as we did when the Trade Center collapsed, and I've never seen a count of the number of Afghanis or Iraqis killed in our quest for bloody satisfaction. Double-edged sword, indeed.

quote:
We're also creating democracy in those lands [of] dictatorship.
I certainly hope so. For their sake, and for our nation's as well.

Those are my views. Everyone else has their own. Again, I implore you to seek out the search functionality of the forum to review what others have said before hauling out old subjects. The dead horse has been beat.

[ January 05, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
PDM, grammar nazi's and spelling errors aside, there are a few problems with your assumptions.

1) You assume that there is a connection between the religious fanaticism of Al-Queda and the Taliban and the Secular Humanist Dictatorship of Saddam Hussein. There is none. They were enemies.

2) You say that someone must pay for the deaths of 9/11. Why? Why must someone who is not guilty pay? Everytime we make a mistake in Iraq, and an innocent Iraqi dies, the terrorists/insurgents/idiots there make the same claim--that someone must pay for those deaths. If we enforce an Eye for an Eye the world will soon be blind.

3) You compare the Buggers, the ultimate in heirarchical combatants, with a world population equal to their army with terrorists and the innocent people that live around them. To say that we must destroy their world as we destroyed the buggers is a bit overkill.

There are many good reasons for us being in Iraq. What we are doing, for the most part, is a good thing, despite those very few who make all the press when they profiteer, abuse their power, or harm those who would be our allies. Your arguments, however, are not those good reasons.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hugs Hatrack*
[Cool]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I still have a hard time going along with any justification for this war. Us doing a good thing remains to be seen, it'll depend on how things go in the future and whether or not Iraq descends into civil war.

But what I've always had trouble swallowing, is that American can claim it's on this huge altruistic mission, and how much they care about the fate of the underprividleged in the world, but we ignore all the other things that could be more easily fixed. The genocide in Darfur, where no one so much as lifted a finger to help, sorry, we couldn't send a thousand peacekeepers, we were busy in Iraq freeing people who already had more rights in some cases than the rest of the Muslim world. We did nothing in Rwanda, when again only a few thousand troops could have stopped a genocide. We're hipocritical to say the least.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hippocritical [Wink]

[ January 05, 2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
How long did it take you to find that, AJ? [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
O and i also saw somewhere else somen about the EG movie, and i cant wait! Its gonna kick! I jus hope that they can find an actor(actors) that can potrait the fantastic character that Mr.Card wrote.
[Big Grin] [ROFL] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*potraits*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
You do that very well, MPH.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yeah, he's another one who starts threads but doesn't post in them."

Even though he explained why he had not posted, I can see why he might not. What cruelty he met here!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Hat]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PDM, grammar nazi's and spelling errors aside, there are a few problems with your assumptions.

1) You assume that there is a connection between the religious fanaticism of Al-Queda and the Taliban and the Secular Humanist Dictatorship of Saddam Hussein. There is none. They were enemies.

Dictatorship, yes. Secular, yes. Humanist? I think not.

And there are no grammar Nazis, and certainly not (shudder) "nazi's". As the resident Grammar Communist, I hereby sentence you to re-education camp. Get thee to a kindergarten, go.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon Moi. Grammar Communist.

Its good to be a Stalinist, as long as you get to be Stalin.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Kan eye B a grammer anerkist? You're, your, were, we're, wee kan ol B anerkist's 2gether.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No! It's the principal of the thing!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, for those who must know, when im typing somethin on a forum or when im talkin to a friend on aim i try to keep words short and get rid of letters that some people dont even pronounce.

Two, gettin back on topic, people your opinion is your own, but the enemy at hand have modern day technology but they fight the same way as they always have, those terrorists fight thousand year wars. They don't mind hiding and trainin for a couple of years. So y wait and let them attack again? They've already done it and if we didnt go over into the middle east they would have scattered until we would not be able to find them. So starting this war might have caused sadness in the families that had to lose their mother, father, sister, brother, etc. But like we say all of the time from older historical battles "Those men died for that flag to be hung in our classroom." or something along the line of that. You don't join the army thinking your never gonna have to fight, thats why they train you.

quote:
Why must people unrelated to our conflict with Terrorists be punished? The Iraqi people certainly weren't to blame for the September 11th attacks.
i must certainly agree with you. Inocent people are dying and you no one should deny this. The loss of human life is terrible, but then again, that is what happens when you are in a war. Don't expect everyone that joined the cause to come out alive. People will die and people will also live.

quote:
we've lost close to half again the number of Americans as we did when the Trade Center collapsed
yes lots of people did die and more will. Like i said before, this is a war. And also folks, are you thinkin of other wars faught? On one day, June 6th 1944(D-Day) 2,400 people died(un aprox.) On that one day more people died then in this whole war so far. Other battles of WW2 hundreds died. Revolutionary War, hundred and thousands died at a time. Civil War, WW1, Korea, etc. THis war death toll cannont toll up to "Some" battles faught in earlier wars, and or the whole war itself. I'm not saying that that these people died in vain, but i think some people are overlookin the other wars we were in. You can see how much our technology has come along, radar, new weapons, etc. On the news, radio, you hear "13 died in an attack today." those 13 should have a pray said for them by all, but, as i will bring back up, think of the other wars faught.
O yea, jus for all of those who don't know, tommorow is the official end of Christmas , january 6th, so i shall leave you with something that people have already put behind them. Merry Christmas

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
So starting this war might have caused sadness in the families that had to lose their mother, father, sister, brother, etc.
Or, might not have. It's kind of iffy.

[ January 05, 2005, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[edited for meanness]

My apologies, TDP.

[ January 05, 2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*polite tone* Perhaps if you made your words longer and included all the letters you might be taken more seriously on this forum.

I made it through your first mini paragraph, then just gave up....as I did with your other posts. Don't be afraid to slow down and clean up your posts a bit - they'll be much more successful that way.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
TDP, your reasons for not capitalizing, or spelling errors, or grammer errors, or whatever are your own. You can certainly post things like that here if you want - no one will stop you.

But you should know that I'm less likely to take you seriously when reading your posts take so much work. Heck, I'm less likely to read your posts at all. If you don't take the care and time to write something that at least approaches standard acceptable English as used in this forum, don't be surprised if more people react in a similar fashion.

It's not a reflection on your intelligence - it just makes it more difficult for us to see your intelligence.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
yes lots of people did die and more will. Like i said before, this is a war. And also folks, are you thinkin of other wars faught? On one day, June 6th 1944(D-Day) 2,400 people died(un aprox.) On that one day more people died then in this whole war so far.
So are you saying our enemies aren't people too? THOUSANDS of Americans and Iraqis have died. Just because they're fighting against the US doesn't mean they're evil or, even worse, not even human! I guess that's how you justify all the needless killing though. You tell yourself the enemy isn't human. If you tell yourself that enough maybe it'll become true!
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think people who do not have the common courtesy to spell right are subhuman scum who should be eradicated at the first opportunity. I appreciate that others may think differently; that's what reeducation camps are for.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
People who spell the same word in the same way over and over again demonstrate a lack of creativity.

Paraphrased from Ben Franklin.

That said, you need to be able to write coherently enough, and spell accurately enough, so that you can communicate effectively.

Grammar is constructed in such a way as to be dynamic. This is because language is dynamic, it is a means of expressing ideas, and ideas change, as does the manner in which we express those ideas. If you use language, you are breaking grammatical rules that have applied to the language you are writing.
I actually think "Grammar Nazi's" (or communists) totally miss the point of grammar, and should be shot on sight for being hypocrits. *grin*

[ January 05, 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Paul Goldner ]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
ok,ok, ill take the time to correctly spell out words, and leave the g in all ing words. Im am sorry if it means that much to you.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

It's a start. Good doggie! For our next trick, we shall learn how to use apostrophes and capital letters.

More seriously, it is not a question of 'meaning a lot' to us. It is simply that you are not presenting your ideas effectively. You are being given good advice. There are hundreds of posts made on this board every day. The ones that are written in a hurry, with zero attention to the ease of the person reading them, tend to get filtered out very rapidly.

TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

Well to be honest, the forumes before i joined this one mainly consisted of Gaming Forums. I do read and study but i do get in some Halo2 gaming. I did get into some discusions like this one, but they were'nt at heavy on proper spelling. So hopefully all you guys at Hatrack can help, so i dont have to use word check as more.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to apologise for my initial hostility. Being a clear and effective writer is a stunningly useful skill. As a former hardcore engineering student, I wasn't expected to be literate beyond understanding installation quick-start guides, I found that Hatrack kept my writing skills sharp.

Handy when I picked up a History double-major and my grade suddenly depended on formulating an eloquent argument about the jihad started by Usman Dan Fodio, the first Caliph of Sokoto.

Some day you may be in a similar situation. Think of it as practice for some obscure final essay. [Smile]

Oh oh! I forgot my greeting ritual! (I've been terrably lax, forshame!) Hands DPM a cookie and a Hive Queen plushie. Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

[ January 05, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to emphasize that I wasn't being hostile, I was being serious. Remedial, as much as it has been coopted, doesn't mean a lack of potential, but a lack of education. Spending a bit of time doing some (relatively) intensive writing would get you up to snuff quite quickly.

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the time to proofread your posts shows that you care about what you are saying and and how it is being presented. No one, besides the grammer communists, is expecting perfection, but a little bit of effort is appreciated.

I have found that most of the people here are interesting and helpful. I hope that once you get the feel for the forum you will enjoy it. Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just express how great the warm fuzzies I experience are when I see Hatrackers being so adamant about maintaining proper grammar, spelling and structure in a text? People around here (Purdue) just give you dirty looks when you insist on such things. [Roll Eyes]

Edited for: what "here" means.

[ January 06, 2005, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Lisha-princess ]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"your reasons for not capitalizing, or spelling errors, or grammer errors"

*polite cough* You mean "grammar," right? And I suspect that including a gerund in that list above is technically something that counts as a grammar error. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

Tom--
Whazza Gerund? [Smile]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't need no stickin' grammar!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

Yeah, we only want that non-adhesive kind! [No No]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[ROFL]
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

not that i don't mind everyone's little side bar chatting, but can we get back on topic here? I want to see what everyone else has to say.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, run a search, then. See, this is another consequence of writing badly; people (meaning me) get so hung up on your spelling that they completely derail the thread. It might almost be a commie conspiracy to force people to spell right. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I fear this thread is gone beyond recall. That happens sometimes. Often, in fact. Though religion threads seem to stay on-topic, for some reason. Maybe you should start a thread on how the Iraq war is a new Crusade.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops... I did originally mean to write 'stinkin' ... but I like it better this way [Big Grin]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"your reasons for not capitalizing, or spelling errors, or grammer errors"

*polite cough* You mean "grammar," right? And I suspect that including a gerund in that list above is technically something that counts as a grammar error. [Smile]

quote:
write something that at least approaches standard acceptable English as used in this forum
Yes, but you should notice that I didn't demand perfection. Just something that approached the general standard of accepted usage here, which includes the occasional spelling error and grammetical foible. Sheesh! [Wall Bash]

Sometime, Tomboy, I swear, we gonna tie you up and beat you mercilessly! But then, who knows, you might actually enjoy it . . . [Dont Know]

[ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
i wish icould get people to talk my opinions insted of my gramar it is like you all just want to keep your club to youself insted of leting new persons post hear!!!!
Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh did I post that as Bean Counter? Oops! Well now you know my secret identity, I am really a postman in the dead letter office, I am not a soldier, just a Clive Barker fan in Omaha.

Hee Hee Hee. [ROFL]
or perhaps I am just a fog of possibilities [Taunt]

BC

Send Brownies here! I know this guy and he will appreciate them. [Smile]

Spc Scott Stream
B Co 2nd 130 INF
C/O DOIM Post Locator
845 Hayes Rd Suit 102
FT Stewart Ga 31314

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

With all the wordplay flying around, I have no idea if you're joking or not, BC. I believe most did, in general, speak to your opinions rather than your grammar and spelling.

DPM's first post was nigh-illegible. It's bad when structure gets in the way of meaning. I would also like to point out that most (all?) posters in this thread including myself, have apologised for any unintentional hostility.

[edit: in light of previous post] Wow, okay. That's kinda lame, BC. Do you feel you need to be vindicated in your belief that we're all elitist by setting us up? I don't get it.

[ January 06, 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though religion threads seem to stay on-topic, for some reason.
It's the tailfins, I think. They help stabilize the thread's trajectory. Why we've never bothered attaching them to non-religion threads, though, is beyond me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.