FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bracing for a big ice storm (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bracing for a big ice storm
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Sara -- One thing happened in the middle of all of our woes that kind of put everything in perspective.

I got a message on my cell phone Wednesday that my kids' best friend (a girl, who is 16) was suddenly being sent into the hospital by her doctor, for a rush biopsy on a mass found in her breast. We had lots of time, with the power out, to meditate and pray on this, and worry about her a great deal.

Thursday we finally got the phone message that the biopsy came out benign -- no cancer! My children were very joyous. The panic that family went through made our hardship seem small in comparison.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Paying attention to all of life does give you some perspective. [Smile]

Still, I wish things were easier for you.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad that you guys are okay, FarmGirl, and that your friend's daughter is fine as well. I had no idea that the ice storm was that severe in southern KS. I'll have to call Christine's parents and see how they're doing. I'm absolutely stunned that power poles were broken off! Why would ice do that? Were they really old ones that were canted at severe angles or something?

I hope your pipes are okay, and that all of this thaws soon, enabling you to get back into your own home.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I was surprised by that some too, Noemon, because most power lines were broken by major tree limbs falling on them. However, most of these poles are out in the open along the edge of a field. The only thing I can figure out is -- the corner pole (which has electric lines going both across it east/west AND a line going north to another line) broke hard, across the road (and this is near trees, so that may have caused that) and then it appears there was a "whiplash" effect up and down that line because the poles that broke were on either side of that corner break, about 200 yards or so each direction. Things are VERY brittle where covered with over an inch of ice, and they just break like glass.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Good news! My kids just called from the farm (home) and said there is power on there now, at least temporarily. Apparently Electric Co. re-routed some power across that main line across the river, and ours is the first house north of the river. (Sometimes it helps to be at a key crossing). The lines down north of us have not been addressed yet, so I'm assuming they have shut it off somewhere between our house and a point about half-mile north where the poles are down. Whether or not they will need to interrupt service when they work on those, I do not know.

Unfortunately, I wish I were home now to go through the house and check for broken pipes, etc and keep the water pump from kicking in until I'm sure all is ready. But I gave them pretty specific instructions on the phone, so hopefully they can do some of this for me.

And that means we have a TELEPHONE at home that works now too! Yippee! And the furnace is working hard to play catch-up.

The news warns that more power can go out, though, as this all begins to melt -- something about as the ice melts off the lines and it springs back up as well as the trees, there could still be conflicts and outages.

But I'm very happy -- power many more days earlier than I expected.

Farmgirl

Noemon
Member # 1115

I saw IvyGirl's update before I saw yours, FG, but appreciated the extra detail. Glad power is back on, and I expect that IvyGirl has everything well in hand at home.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, except she says she is leaving the "cleaning out of the refrigerator" (YECH!) for me to do when I get home...

Farmgirl

Noemon
Member # 1115

Ew. Yeah, can't say I envy you that task. Too bad you didn't just open the fridge door on your way out of the house when all this started--everything in it would be nice and cold.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering where you'd been Farmgirl. I'm glad that you've had the power restored. Good luck with your cleanup.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.