FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, Hatrack Parents, I've Got a Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey, Hatrack Parents, I've Got a Question
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Sure! I find thread deletion almost physically painful, even when I've announced from the beginning that deletion was my intent, and this thread ended up containing a lot of really good information that I couldn't bear to delete.

Of course, it'll probably be deleted anyway in 6 months or so, but what can you do?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tink
Member # 7267

- posted      Profile for Tink   Email Tink         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two sons, 3 and 4, and just recently I've started letting them bathe a little more alone - I'm still where I can hear them and check on them, and I think I feel a little more secure in that there's two of them and so the other can yell if there's a problem. On the other hand, reading this thread, I'm wondering if I've been a little too hasty in doing that.

I co-slept with my first son until he was almost a year old, and he was happiest that way. Hated cribs. My second son was just the opposite - I was WILLING to co-sleep with him, but he did much better on his own. I did pretty extensive research at the time about the possibility of harm, and felt okay about my choice. I don't know if I'd do it again or not - having a baby right next to the bed in a bassinet is a pretty nice compromise.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
having a baby right next to the bed in a bassinet is a pretty nice compromise.
Alas, this never worked for me. [Frown] The child would stir in their sleep and it would wake me. So either they had to be in bed with me, where my presence soothed them, or in another room where every sound wouldn't keep me up all night.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I'm sorry but
quote:
At 5 weeks, they showed more quiet sleep and longer bouts of quiet sleep; and at 6 months, they also showed less active sleep, fewer arousals in active sleep, and less wakefulness. Each of these differences indicates a markedly lower arousal level in the long-term co-sleeping infants. This sleep pattern has been repeatedly found to be an indicator of stress.
Now if I'd had a SIDS baby I might see more longer sleep as a bad thing. But my youngest didn't sleep through the night for 19 months. [Wall Bash]

Third slept through the night at 2 weeks.

We don't cosleep because I don't have a strong preference and my husband would rather not. But the observation about stress and longer, deeper sleep has been generalized from some other study, right? I am dubious.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to make me sing in the pool if she was sitting somewhere where she couldn't see me. If I stopped, she'd yell for me to start again.. [Smile]

She probably did the same thing with the tub when I was littler.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't cosleep with my son, but did with my daughter for the first two months. It wasn't necessary with him, and with her it was. It was the only way all of us could get some sleep. I was afraid of letting her sleep with us much longer though, since it was not a habit I wanted her to get used to. She transitioned to her crib just fine as long as I swaddled her good and tight. It might have helped that her crib was in our room. Even so, she didn't sleep through the night until she was 6 months old (I would [Wall Bash] but 19 months?! I don't rate a [Wall Bash] ) where my son started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. I suspect that the difference is more personality than anything else. My daughter cannot bear to miss anything, where my son is way, way laid back.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.