FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should I have my hair cut ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should I have my hair cut ?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, first of all, I would love to see a picture.

Second of all, PLEASE oh PLEASE, cut your hair before it gets long, thin, and you have a balding pate. That is just sooo that comedian guy whose name I can't remember.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You can find various pictures of me at www.joeicarus.com

As far as the other, I really like the way I look (headwise) right now. My bald spot is not very prominent anyway . . . here are three pictures of me from behind. I'm the guy with the long hair and purple shirt. At least, I don't think it looks too bad yet . . . [Angst]

But even if it does, balding with long hair may look bad, but so does balding and with short hair. There's really no winning there. *shrug*

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness, Icky! I love the hair, but wow!!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair has been in a chin-length bob for a while now. It doesn't look good long, because it's very fine and falls flat no matter what anyone does to it. Also, since it's fine, I have to wash it every day or it LOOKS greasy.

I used to have it really short, but my facial features are not delicate enough to carry off a pixie cut. I ended up looking like a boy with earrings.

My new goal is to somehow get through the next five months until my bangs grow out. (I need to start showing more forehead in order to balance out my increasingly chubby cheeks.)

[ December 18, 2004, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Long hair look great with Sara's gift, so I guess I will just have them trim.
Thank you for the advices ! [Smile]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, you are one handsome dude! You are right, you have years to go before the "spot" is an issue. Just don't let it get all wispy and long, you know? I wish I had a picture to go with the image I have of this.

And au contraire, by the way. I think a balding pate with cropped hair is very attractive. It's one of those things that men assume women find unattractive, but I don't think that is necessarily true. And you'd be cute at any hair length, even wispy-long.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh...Icky...I love guys with long hair.

B is finally growing his hair out again, but only after I threatened to cut mine ( it's about boob length).

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky! <swoon> <thud> Mango and Banana are adorable, and yes those are definitely demon dogs LOL

As for my hair, I've been getting it cut annually and donating it to Locks of Love. This last year I barely got 10 inches, so I may hae to extend that time out a bit. Quite a drastic change going from mid-back to high neck.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get my hair cut professionally. I had the same hairdresser for a whole bunch of years when I was a teenager. She colored my hair for me, too. Platinum blonde streaks, Ronald McDonald red, hot pink, purple, and spiked. I loved it! Heck, I was a child of the 80s and I had fun.

Since becoming an adult, though, and wanting "normal" hair cuts, I've never found a hair dresser who could actually cut my hair the way I wanted it. They'd inevitably ignore me entirely and do whatever they wanted without bothering to consult with me, and then would get upset when I tried stopping them or criticised or . . . It just never worked. And it didn't matter how much I paid for the damn thing. It still never turned out.

So. I started cutting my own hair. Whether long or short, even if I had to contort myself in front of the mirror with a handheld behind me, I cut my own.

And I immediately started getting huge compliments on my hair.

Guess what?

I haven't had mine cut professionally since. And now, I cut Fahim's as well.

Granted, now it's much easier since we both have long hair - his is four or five inches longer than mine- but still. I would have thought that a professional should be able to do a better job making my hair look good than I can. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky - not all women hate bald - some love it. There are a whole lot of sexy bald dudes, including Patrick Stewart and Sean Connery (who wore toupees for the James Bond films - and he was in his, what, late twenties or early thirties then?)

Baldness - sexy or not - is in the eye of the beholder and the attitude of the baldee.

Personally, I didn't really care whether the guy I ended up with had hair or not on his head. All I cared about was that the guy have a hairy chest - everything else could be dealt with. I love hairy chests! Well, I ended up with hairy chest and long hair, and no danger of Fahim ever going bald, I think, but even if he did, I wouldn't care. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with bald.

Patrick Stewart is one of the sexiest men I know. Hair or not hair really doesn't weigh into the attraction figure for me in most cases.

It's really too late to be posting about anything, so forgive me if I make no sense.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't look in this thread earlier, but shall still offer unsolicited advice. [Smile]

Anna, as a fellow long-haired girl (I like to add to the things whereby people can confuse us [Smile] ) I must warn you about the professional haristylists.

#1) They will always want to cut your hair off. They will say things like, "you would look so cute with a cut that frames your face," or "I knew a girl who had long hair like yours and cut it all off and is so happy now." This is all a bunch of lies. They only want to cut off huge amounts of hair because they like to see it hit the floor. If you do go, tell them you only want a trim!

#2) Do not let them talk you into putting layers in your hair if you like to wear it up (en chignon, barrette, etc.) Layers look very pretty, but they make it impossible to braid your hair or put it back - the little uneven ends stick out and small pieces always fall down in front of your face.

Other than that, pamper yourself if you like. They use marvelous shampoos from other planets that transform your hairs into strands of silk.

I've taken to cutting my own hair, though (actually, I make my roommate or my sister do it - just cut straight across) because it saves a lot of money.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Very good points, Annie. And Anna, if you want a trim, be very, very clear that you want half an inch or three inches, or whatever. Annie is right. They DO like to cut more hair than you want cut.

Argh. I have been talked into so many layered, midlength dos, Annie! I ahave regretted every one, because I can not style my hair. Nver have been able to, never will.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I also want to add to the opinion that bald men are hot. I think it is one of those things men worry about, like women worry about breast size, weight, or whatever, assuming various things are not attractive. I just don't like the Gallagher(the comedian) look, that's all.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Re: all the comments about how hot bald men are, Patrick Stewart, Sean Connery, yadda yadda yadda:

Bull.

Patrick Stewart is a skinny, short, little guy who shaves the non-bald parts of his head, and looks completely cool that way. Sean Connery is a tall, well-built handome guy from whom the baldness detracts nothing.They are not hot because they are bald. They are hot for other reasons, and happen to be bald as well.

I would not look like either Stewart or Connery. I am not little, I am not tall, and I have an enormous head. If I were bald, I would look more like Darth Vader without the mask than like Captain Picard. I would look like Ethan Phillips on Benson. I would look like some middle-aged bank clerk. Nobody thinks balding, middle-aged, short bank clerks are sexy.

Oh, sure, women! Men don't really care if you're large! Look at Queen Latifah in Chicago! See? Men, on the whole, just adore large women! Truly!

What a crock.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the worst hair in the world.

It's a mass of cowlicks. It looks like Conan O'Brien's hair (and since I'm tall and pale and irish looking, I always get that I look like him), only curlier and wavier and rattier looking. I was going to grow it out long, like eyebrow-length and then long in back, but when I went in to get the neck cleaned up I saw how it looked in the mirror and I just cut it all off again.

There is no happy medium.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I disagree, oh naysaying Icarus. Queen Latifah IS hot.

As for men with balding pates, I think it is like anything else. If you are hot, you are hot, and you are hot. Even with a balding MULLET you would be hot, Icarus, so deal with it.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

My brother had a mullet until about a year ago, when his daughter - a teenager - showed him another side of mullets. That is, that he's been mocked behind his back by the world for the last two decades.

The next day, from what I was told between snickers and guffaws, he went and got a non-mullet hair cut. [ROFL]

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I disagree, oh naysaying Icarus. Queen Latifah IS hot.

You missed my point. Queen Latifah is hot. My point is that her hotness does not mean that overweight women are generally considered hot. Similarly, Patrick Stewart's hotness does not mean that balding men are generally considered hot.

(But thanks for all the compliments. I don't believe them all, but they sure feel nice! [Blushing] )

[ December 19, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Believe, for Latifah's sake, believe!
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I almost missed this thread - stupid faculty parties.

Some thing I tell people who ask me for hair advice:

First, you should get a trim every six weeks, no matter how long your hair is. This is especially true in the winter, when it is cold and dry and the ends are much more likely to split (even if you condition). Plus, it will make your hair shinier and maintain your cut (if you have one).

Second, think of the most elegant and stylish women you know. How long is their hair? I'm not talking about fashion models, I'm talking about women you know and admire.

Third, long, unstyled hair is rarely the most flattering style for anyone. I'm not saying it can't look good, but it would probably look better shorter and styled. The way hair falls around your face contributes so much to how your face looks. For example, my face has gotten rounder since I started fertility treatments. My stylist cut it so that it has a bit more body and altered my layers so that they don't fall at my chin or cheekbones (my hair is a teeny bit past my shoulders).

Fourth, it is a myth that most men prefer long hair. I have never dated anyone who cared how long my hair was. Andrew loves my hair short and has made me promise never to grow it long again. If you have a haircut that flatters your face, men will like it because you will look better.

Fifth, you can put your hair up and back with layers. I have layers and I put my hair back all the time. It does take a bit more time and there are some styles that require more hair, but not many. Also, it's so easy to get extensions and falls and ready-to-wear extensions that you can do anything you want with your short, layered hair.

For you, Anna, I would start with long layers just past my shoulders. It would look flattering and you can see how you like it. I go to Aveda salons and have for 12 years now. There's one in Paris and one in Toulouse ( http://aveda.aveda.com/stores/results_intl.asp ). I love their products and their methods. I can't say if they're expensive or not since price varies from salon to salon (and I'm sure country to country).

On an unrelated note, I understood most of what you wrote to Choobak and what he wrote (in French, I mean). I'll be reading French Vogue in no time.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*joins the Mrs.M fan club*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, sois la bienvenue dans le monde de la francophonie !
Have a great pleasure to read our french here.

I think i am not like the majority of men because i like girls with long hair. But I admit i am in the minority (I am not a girl and i cannot know what men like about my hair cut [Big Grin] )

Annie, excuse me to confuse your nickname with Anna. [Hail] Je ne sais comment me faire pardonner par vous deux.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I found an Aveda salon near me. I signed up on their e-mail list, but I haven't gone cause it is kind of pricey. My hair does need cutting. Maybe that could be my Christmas present to myself.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
#2) Do not let them talk you into putting layers in your hair if you like to wear it up (en chignon, barrette, etc.) Layers look very pretty, but they make it impossible to braid your hair or put it back - the little uneven ends stick out and small pieces always fall down in front of your face.
I think those pieces of hair are sexy. : )
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ne t'inquiète pas, Choobak! C'arrive tout le temps. Je suis flattée d'être amalgamée avec la belle Anna. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
I think those pieces of hair are sexy. : )
Sexy if you're a pegasus, maybe. [Wink]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Good to have you, mac. [Wink]

Merci beaucoup, Choobak.

AJ - I highly recommend it. Be warned, though, once you go, you'll want to go back. Again and again.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Aveda products. They work better than anything else for me.

I also love my long hair, though, and (like Annie) I am suspicious of stylists based on past experiences. It is not likely to change -- hasn't yet, despite being given makeover gift certificates. [Smile]

But I'm happy, so that isn't a problem.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay, who derailed the thread?

People, we're supposed to be talking about my hotness! [Mad]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*uses Icarus to cook eggs*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm getting a hair cut today! It's way over due because I only just got around to finding a salon where I live now. Finding a new stylist is one of the things I hate the most about moving so hopefully this goes well and I don't have to keep looking.

And yes, I'm going to an Aveda salon.

PS - Icarus is hot! And I mean en fuego hot! [/end cheesy pick-up line voice]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Good for you, Risuena. You'll love it, I promise. When can we expect to see pictures?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.