FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » mongoloid (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: mongoloid
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries. [Smile] I was corrected on this (the inclusion of the possessive) about 7 months ago -- first I'd heard of it.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks, you probably saved me being corrected more rudely by my mom. (She runs the craniofacial clinics for Kaiser So. Cal. and we have lots of interesting discussions. She used to work newborn screening, as you can probably tell from one of my previous posts in this thread. [Wink] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I usually figure if I can get people to agree that terms like "mongoloid" and "retard" are uncool and generally unacceptable, I'm way ahead of the game. [Wink]

Is it just me, or would "Down syndrome" and "Down's syndrome" sound pretty much the same when spoken? [Smile]

Seriously, I wasn't aware there was a general trend to eliminate the possessives in the syndrome names or that anyone other than mavericks in the medical system were onboard with it (Hi Sara). I know that advocacy organizations involved with Down syndrome did stop using the posessive years ago, but I'm not sure how many.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, maybe you should ask her what current usage is in her environment.

This is from the homepage of a pediatrician whose son has Down syndrome. Again, it was news to me. Looks like the usage may vary by country, though.
quote:
Down based this unfortunate name on his notion that these children looked like people from Mongolia, who were thought then to have an arrested development. This ethnic insult came under fire in the early 1960s from Asian genetic researchers, and the term was dropped from scientific use. Instead, the condition became called "Down's syndrome." In the 1970s, an American revision of scientific terms changed it simply to "Down syndrome," while it still is called "Down's" in the UK and some places in Europe.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Hey, Stephen. [Smile]

When I say "Down's syndrome," there's more of a snake-like hiss. Might just be me.

I like the dropping of the possessive, though. Places the emphasis less on the person who initially described it (as if that would give that person ownership). Seems more person-with-disability-oriented rather than researcher-oriented.

sndrake
Member # 4941

Then again, there's some who have the syndrome who give it a different name.

(Definitely gonna order this one after the holidays.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear more of a hiss, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

That looks awesome.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
So are we calling it Lou Gherig Disease now?
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Nope - we call it "Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis." [Smile]

Not really - most of us are too lazy for that.

So, mostly it's called "ALS" these days.

[ December 14, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seems more person-with-disability-oriented rather than researcher-oriented.
How? It's still named after the same researcher. If the point is to direct focus away from the researcher, then it seems to me the way to do that would be to give the condition a descriptive name.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I prefer Trisomy 21 myself, but the technical term is obscure enough that it isn't yet suitable for widespread communication. Yet. [Smile]

But meanwhile, the dropping of the possessive does make sense to me. Certainly the condition belongs more to those whom it affects directly than the one who happened to first descibe it, no?

It's a small point, but one that causes me no great pain to concede. I don't make a habit of correcting others about it, though, as that is likely to be more confusing or off-putting than helpful, IMO. However, we were discussing terminology here, so it seemed fitting.

[ December 14, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, I just got an e-mail back from my mom-- she says the usual reference to it is as "Trisomy 21 or Robertsonion translocation", but when talking to laymen about it, she says "Down's Syndrome-- Dr. Down named it".

So, that's my mom's take on it.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Fair enough.

*grin

I've always suspected those who trained me of being medical mavericks in these sorts of areas. They have proven to be unusually up-to-date on such issues, although not as much as I would like.

Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very confused by your language. You use "mongolism" and "mongoloid" for the same thing : Down syndrome (thank you to learn us the exact term, Sara Sasse). In french, as i said before, we make the distinction with this words.

But I know that also is similar for you about french language. So, sorry if i make a nonsense... [Hail]

[ December 15, 2004, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Aspergers, Alzheimers, Crohns, Downs, etc without the possessive ' or mention of Syndrome or Disease seems to be the trend in common usage.

[ December 15, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.