FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you respect a 6 year old's religion? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you respect a 6 year old's religion?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't religion-related, but I had to brag on my girl. Last night the TV was on and there was a Wal-Mart commercial about a girl who makes blankets for the homeless. After watching it, Operaetta turned to me and said, "I want to do that. I want to give blankets to the store." *chuckle* I then explained to her that the blankets were for people without homes who often had to sleep on the streets. She asks, "Without a pillow or anything?" I said yes. She says, "Ok. We need to buy that stuff and sew blankets for them. I want to make pillows for them too." Wow. This child is 6 years old, and already concerned about other people having what they should. I'm so proud I could burst. We're going to start making blankets after we move.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Ic, that thought is purely chilling. It never occurred to me.

But no, I don't think that's likely to be the case. This daycare is very, very vigilant about the care of the children. If they suspected anything of the sort, they'd have reported it. With kids still in diapers and actively potty training, it's pretty hard to hide suspicious bruises.

I think what happened is that Rayne hit her friend Josie and got in trouble for it. And then the classroom focus for a while was on not hitting and/or biting.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm - I've heard that same joke, but with the Pope.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You might be a UU if . . .
• you have ever been in an argument over whether or not breast milk is vegan.
• when you dress for a formal evening out you wear a little black dress, pearls--and Birkenstocks
• you are unsure about the gender of God.
• you own six pairs of Birkenstocks and your favorite pair needs to be thrown away.
• you get Newt Gingrich confused with the Grinch who Stole Christmas.
• the money you sent to the Sierra Club last year was more than you spent on your mother at Christmas.
• you think the Holy Trinity is "reduce, reuse and recycle."
• You think a Holy day of Obligation is your turn to do coffee.
• You get mail from committees you didn't know you were on.
• You know at least two people who are upset that trees had to die for your church to be built.

Wow, I almost sound UU.

Seriously, Space OPera that's not an easy situation. If she had freinds who go to a church you don't object to, that would make it easier. But you shouldn't feel obligated to do something that would make you uncomfortable, and I think she is smart enough to get that.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
In my house, we have an agnostic father who acts like an atheist, an agnostic neopagan mother, and a 6-year-old who is basically making up her own faith. Yesterday, she told me that God and Jesus are for the boys, and that Goddesses and fairies are for the girls. I found this terribly amusing, but also poignant.

The thing I missed the most in Christianity was affirmation and celebration of the Divine Feminine, and women's mysteries.

Space Opera, I think it is normal and healthy for children to explore faith. As a child, I remember singing to God as I played outdoors. I was sublimely happy. At one church I have visited, the children have a "Montessori" Sunday school - they learn stories, they get to interact with kid-size versions of the adult sacred objects (like candles, offering plates, communion paraphenalia), and are encouraged to make their own meanings. I think that is a beautiful approach.

With my own daughter, I have just been honest about what I and her father believe. I have carefully held myself back from making judgments on what her grandmother and others believe. It is very interesting to see what she takes from each person as she finds her own spiritual path and makes her own choices. And it is beautiful.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
On my mom's fridge at home, she has a card--about the size of a business card--that says, "I am a Quaker; In case of emergency, please be quiet."

I wasn't raised a Quaker in belief, but I'm realizing more and more that I'm a Quaker in behavior.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.