FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most and Least Favorite Holiday Songs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Most and Least Favorite Holiday Songs
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Show me where in the Bible it talks about the annoying little drummer boy
The Gospel According to The Annoying Little Drummer Boy, of course.

You mean there isn't one in your Bible?

[ November 29, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Not in the Bible" <> "Secular"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Really Dagonee? If it's not in the bible specifically but if it talks largely about religious characters and themes it's still secular?

*goes off to rummage around for songs that fit into that category*

Wait.... is that a does not equal or does equal sign?

[ November 29, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a "does not equal" sign. Leftover from my programmer days.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]

So my sister has obviously handed her stupid crying thing with "The Little Drummer Boy" over to me. I heard it in the car on the way into town this morning. Hit the line "...I played my best for him..." and started sniffling. I will never forgive her for this.

space opera

edit: Now that I think about it though, I did get teary this weekend while watching "The Santa Clause" and "Father of the Bride part 2." Maybe it's not her fault.

[ November 29, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I love "Hayo, Haya", which Peter, Paul, and Mary sang. That's my favorite non-Christian-holiday song.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh, okay, Dagonee. Therefore I agree with you. A lot of very religious things aren't actually included in the Bible.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorites: Riu, Riu, Chiu (I can listen to that one all year long...the Chantacleer versions are wonderful), I Wonder As I Wander, and Patapan.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, I would probably get tired of "What Child Is This?" by itself, but my old parish's choir did a version of this that was a kind of a duet with an original lyric and melody intersperred with the traditional hymn. Unforuntately, the name of it is escaping me, but the song was absolutely lovely, and was one of my favorite pieces that we did at our pre-Midnight Mass christmas concert.
xnera, is that "Who is This Child? (With "What Child is This")" by Ruth Elaine Schram? We're singing this in Stake Choir, and there are 3 parts: parts 2 and 3 sing "What Child is This", and part 1 sings an original lyric that starts off "Who is this baby, who is this child? Who is this little one so meek and mild? Angels sing lullabies, stars fill the skies. Who is this child?" (Part 1 sings first time, part 2 and 3 second time, all parts the third.) If so, I agree. I've never been fond of "What Child is This" (mainly because I love "Greensleeves" and always get mixed up), but it's quite lovely.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
The worst Christmas song of all time has got to be "The Christmas Shoes" by Newsong.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a new Christmas Music Low has been reached.
Nick & Jessica's Family Christmas
Wednesday, December 1 at 9/8c

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

If they don't sing "The Christmas Shoes" it could still get lower.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly post holidays I suppose, but mine would have to be Auld Land Syne.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That "shoes" song always makes me cry, even though it's terrible. But then, I cried through the entire second half of the Incredibles. I need to not cry so much.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Part of the reason that "The Christmas Shoes" is so bad is that its sole purpose is to make people cry.
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"Drivin' Home For Christmas", Chris Rea. Love it.
And the all time favourite: "The Christmas Song", by anyone, but especially the Tabernacle Choir!! Wonderful!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard some awful Christmas song this weekend about cows having a party in a barn.

Nails. Blackboard.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my faves of the religious and/or traditional types have been covered.

What's left?

A few of my "whimsical" favorites:

"You Ain't Gettin' Diddly Squat" by Heywood Banks.

"Father Christmas" by The Kinks

Anything by Alvin and the Chipmonks.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.