FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Spirituality Gene? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Spirituality Gene?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored a 17. The only transcendental thing I've experienced is music -- and what's so awesome about that is that music is a wholly human creation.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some links I found relating to the placebo effect debate: Abnornal Psych textbook click on "placebo effect debated" there are several links.
NY times May 24,2001 article

The issue seems far from settled, though the effect is apparently not as powerful as was once thought.

edit:from the Times article:
quote:
Professor Freedman said the statistical method the Danish researchers used, pooling data from many studies and using a statistical tool called metanalysis to examine them, could give misleading results.

"I just don't find this report to be incredibly persuasive," he said. "The evidence of a placebo effect is maybe a little bit less than I thought it was, but I think there's a big effect in many circumstances. This doesn't change my mind."

This brings to mind a question I have been wondering about: how valid are these meta-studies and metanalysis from a statistical point of view? In recent years I've seen this more often, an analysis of groups of previous studies, and I've wondered how effective a tool it is.
At a superficial level it seems very powerful, yet also tricky to implement. I would appreciate comments from anyone who knows about metanalysis.

[ November 25, 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the study disputing plecebo effectiveness:
New Eng. Journal of Med

My 1st use of http://scholar.google.com/ , thanks to whoever posted about it at HR, it's a sweet search engine for research papers!

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As compared with no treatment, placebo had no significant effect on binary outcomes, regardless of whether these outcomes were subjective or objective. For the trials with continuous outcomes, placebo had a beneficial effect, but the effect decreased with increasing sample size, indicating a possible bias related to the effects of small trials.
Whoo! Thanks for finding this, again, Morbo! I am glad to know I wasn't making that up. [Smile] I'll remember to check google scholar in the future for stuff like this.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.