FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Incredibles- A+; Four Stars; 2 thumbs up. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The Incredibles- A+; Four Stars; 2 thumbs up.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers*

I loved the Incredibles! The kids deffinitely were more powerful than their parents. And Did anyone catch what power the baby had?

I totally knew that "Incrediboy" was going to turn out to be the villain you can see it a mile away. It's so sad how many heros he annihalated (sp?) I also liked his line "Incredible and Elastigirl? And you've been busy!" [ROFL] *giggles*

Oh...
And if you annalyze the movie pollitically, it's
just no fun!!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Did no one else notice the Start Wars homage? I nearly died laughing when they were speeding through the forest on the hover-machines.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Third best film I've seen in the theater this year -- behind Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Spider-Man 2. It was certainly a different tone than the other Pixar films, but after adjusting, I loved it!

Here's an interesting review from Walter Chaw:

quote:
Newsreel footage opening the film depicts an age of superheroes that coincides with the United States just post-WWII, when the country, fresh from saving the world, was filthy with heroes and ready to buy big cars. But reality intrudes: depression and fatigue and litigious weenies drive the "supers" underground into government-sponsored witness protection programs, where Bob Parr--a.k.a. Mr. Incredible (voiced by Craig T. Nelson)--is now an insurance adjuster forced to tell little old ladies that insurance companies are more interested in protecting their shareholders than they are their clients. The Incredibles takes aim at this country's appalling insurance crisis, but it takes closer aim at the way that an institutionalized policy of force-feeding self-esteem to our kids (no child left behind, indeed) leads to self-loathing, the eradication of gifted and talented programs, and the insanity of celebrating mediocrity. (A sickness that reaches its apogee/nadir in a President who's fond of reminding folks of his "C" average in school.) The oft-repeated mantra of The Incredibles is "If everyone is super, no one is"--and if there's a more important message for a nation of kids who regularly test highest in confidence yet lowest in everything else (the only demographic testing higher in self-confidence than high school kids belongs to convicted felons), I'm not sure what it might be.

. . .

The Incredibles is an extraordinarily brave film. Suggesting that not all men are created equal is something like attacking the fabric of the American dream--going farther and suggesting that technology and its mass consumption is neither substitute nor salve to the howl of unfulfillable dreaming is close to Commie-talk. What Bird has made, in fact, is an extremely wide-reaching and populist entertainment that speaks frankly about the shape and the texture of the cancer of self-esteem metastasizing at the heart of these increasingly puzzling United States.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting review, Godric. I am inclined to agree with him, for the most part.

I really loved the short at the beginning - Boundin'. The whack-a-moles were so awesome.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Boundin had the right moral flavor. [Smile]
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M:

quote:
Interesting review, Godric. I am inclined to agree with him, for the most part.
Yeah, his point about the acceptance of mediocrity in our culture immediately reminded me of the ending of Amadeus when F. Murray Abraham's character absolves everyone in the asylum of mediocrity.

I don't know what to say because I think everyone ought to be given the chance to succeed -- we should be treated equally, yet there are people who aren't living up to their potential because we're making sure those behind can keep up (although, in our education system, that's hardly the truth of the matter). It's an interesting paradox of sorts...

quote:
I really loved the short at the beginning - Boundin'. The whack-a-moles were so awesome.
The whack-a-moles were great -- but I wasn't nearly so happy with this short as with their previous ones...
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Another theme that is woven is is the idea that an interdependent group is fundamentally stronger than the individual. We see this at the very beginning, with Mr. Incredible working (unknowingly) in concert with Elastigirl, and throughout the movie Mr. Incredible's old catch phrase about working alone is shown to be misguided. While it's true that the film puts forth the idea that people are unequal, it also puts forth the idea that just being exceptional isn't enough; it's by banding together, forming a cohesive unit, that we find out true strength.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
They had me at the moment Mr. Incredible was coaching himself under his breath while fiddling with the microphone.

Boundin' was absolutely charming.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here ever read "Harrison Bergeron" by Vonnegut?

Incidentally enough, Vonnegut once said something along the lines of, "No matter who you are, or how talented you are, or how long you've practiced, you will always eventually meet Amadeus Mozart who will then proceed to rip you a new ***hole."

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did no one else notice the Start Wars homage? I nearly died laughing when they were speeding through the forest on the hover-machines.
did you not notice the name of the giant robot?

[ November 09, 2004, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"The whack-a-moles were great -- but I wasn't nearly so happy with this short as with their previous ones..."

Same here. Boundin', in conjunction with Cars, suggests a truly terrifying detour into the realm of the hick. *elitist, black-turtlenecked shudder* [Wink]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Boundin' didn't do a lot for me, I have to say. I found it more tiresome than anything else. I liked it, though, when the little kid sitting next to me leaned over to his mom and whispered "what's taking so long?" about midway through the short.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The best short so far has been Gerry's Game. Super-K can do a perfect imitation of the old, toothless guy's smile.

Boundin' was just too. . . moralistic.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Which one is Gerry's Game? What movie was it attached to?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Bug's Life. It's about an old guy playing chess against his evil alter-ego.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda liked Boundin'. My favorite was "For the Birds," however..
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I saw A Bug's Life, but I don't remember that short at all. I'll have to rent the movie at some point just for the short.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I just have to step in and correct a little misinformation:
quote:
While she actually went to the University of Montana...
It's Montana State! Montana State University! This is a very important difference.

Also, I know Sarah Vowell's mom. She lives down the street from me. And, Sarah and I share an academic advisor.

That is all.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the omnidroid. Great stuff.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Pixar has their shorts online: http://www.pixar.com/shorts/
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mr. Incredible was only concerned with himself, even when he was concerned with other people, it was still out of concern with himself.
Irami, there is no such thing as altruism. If you break it down far enough, all concern for other people is ultimately concern for ourselves.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Irami, there is no such thing as altruism. If you break it down far enough, all concern for other people is ultimately concern for ourselves.
Yes and No. Of all of the superheroes, Spiderman dealt with this the best. After his uncle died, he didn't become more altruistic. He didn't stop being concerned with himself. It's that he gained a deeper understanding of what it was to be him-in-the-world. If that's all that altruism is, an awareness of the bonds which are already there, then that's enough.

Man, it's really hard to take myself seriously when I'm talking about a cartoon.

[ November 09, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mr. Incredible was only concerned with himself, even when he was concerned with other people, it was still out of concern with himself.

Right, that was the point, that it was for selfish reasons. Mr. Incredible says that late in the movie.

quote:
The mom was better, but still lacked a sense of heart. She was turned on when she thought that he went to a job he hated everyday. There is something righteous about going to a bad job to bring home the bacon for your family, but then again, there is something distinctly unrighteous if your wife finds that the sexiest part of your relationship.
Actually, my read was that was about him being rejuvenated and excited, not about her being excited. He starts doing what he wants to do, and he becomes rejuvenated, but later in the movie he realizes it was purely selfish of him, and he didn't realize that until he thought his family had died. She is just responding to his excitement, though she doesn't realize why he's rejuvenated.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I don't know. It never really felt like he learned anything. I didn't get the feeling that anything changed, even when he admitted he was wrong.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami, don't think this the wrong way, but I think that's because you hate middle-class, workaday white people who don't learn to reject themselves. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just enjoyed the movie. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
Irami, don't think this the wrong way, but I think that's because you hate middle-class, workaday white people who don't learn to reject themselves.
Duh, but I think there is something else.

Edit:

No, that's it. [Smile]

[ November 09, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Book
Member # 5500

This is why I like Batman- there's nothing altruistic about him at ALL. He's just plain borderline insane, folks! (Which is MUCH more interesting. I mean, really, when you think about what it takes to dress up and hospitalize criminals- you'd have to be nuts.)
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Anyone who didn't like Boundin' is a fascist anarchist.

How can you turn your back on the cute little sheepy?? [Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Even that cute little kid sitting next to me? 'Cause he was bored out of his skull by it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I found the sheepy more grotesque than cute, and have always found jackalopes tiresomely unhumorous. So maybe it's me.
MEC
Member # 2968

He's a little facist anarchist.

I agree with Tom on the short.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Even that cute little kid sitting next to me? 'Cause he was bored out of his skull by it.
FASCIST. ANARCHIST.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I *wondered* what he was doing with copies of Mein Kampf and The Anarchist's Cookbook sticking out of his little Spiderman backpack.
MEC
Member # 2968

mmmmmm....Anarchist soup.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irami, don't think this the wrong way, but I think that's because you hate middle-class, workaday white people who don't learn to reject themselves.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duh, but I think there is something else.

Edit:

No, that's it.

Why? There is an unrelenting hostility - why?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet a fascist anarchist would be an INCREDIBLY confused person.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I greatly enjoyed the film, but there's something oddly elitist yet (at the very same time) proletariat about it.

In all movies--especially Disney/Pixar--we (the audience) are meant to identify with the main character. The Incredibles, of course, gives all of us a main character to chose to identify with.

So, now the entire audience (all $70 million of them!) have identified with one of the main characters of the film--with one of the Incredibles.

The Incredibles, by their own admission, are all "Supers". They are better than the rest of the people they live and work with. That's fine. Really, there are lots of people out there who really are above average.

They're elitist. By their nature, they're elitist. They're Ayn Rand's super-men (and the women who are beaten with a stick by them). The movie tells us it's OK to have a class of people who are better than the other classes.

Because, by association, by identification, we are all in that uber-class. All of us. All $70 million of us.

And if everyone thinks they're special, then no one is.

The following sentence is true.
The previous sentence is false.

[sits back with hands clasped behind his neck, waiting for the sounds of heads exploding]

[ November 10, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Kat,

Do I have to like all dudes? I'm watching C-Span right now, a bunch of insurance company dudes trying to figure out how to turn a bigger profit.

After working in enough offices, taking orders from 55 year-old white guys who have have their assistants tie their shoes, they don't command immediate respect from me. Nice enough guys, but morally, not the most compelling crowd. Apparently, they don't need me, heck, we just elected one President.

De-Mint in South Carolina, dude.
Bunning in Kentucky, dude.
Coburn in Oklahoma, dude.
80 percent of the Bush Administration, dudes.

I respect Bill Cosby. I appreciate his statement concerning the poor priorities of black youth. But the biggest scam is the illusion that these white guys are any less useless. Mr. Incredible is just another dude, except he is a dude with super powers. His wife does all of the heavy moral thinking, and he blinks.

[ November 10, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Morally, Steve, I agree that the film's "not everyone can be special, by definition" message was extremely muddled. Consider that the bad guy was an ordinary if geeky kid who through sheer determination and brilliance invented gadgets to give himself superpowers, and whose stated motivation was to provide those gadgets to the people of the world -- not out of the kindness of his heart, but to bring everyone to the same level, thus eliminating "specialness."

If you watch the film with the basic assumption, "Well, I'm special," then it's easy to miss. [Smile] But it's literally kind of fascist -- although, frankly, I'm not sure how you can have superheroes without fascism.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

The superheroes have to be keen moralists.
katharina
Member # 827

Why?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Because if you are a dude with superpowers, if you don't pay attention, you are a fascist. I imagine it's like being the proverbial bull in a china shop. *thinks* It's kind of like Bush right now.

[ November 10, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

katharina
Member # 827

"With great power comes great responsibility"...?

What a great idea.

[ November 10, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Book
Member # 5500

The general point of most superheroes in most comic books is that not only are they superpowered, but are also super moralistic, IE Superman, who is super in EVERY way (even to the point of being boring). The trouble this film runs into is that it tries to make superheroes human- wife, kids, dead end jobs, etc. Whereas in the books, they were giants among men- gods of pop culture mythology, if you saw Unbreakable. It DOES make less sense. People are fallible in every way. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Perhaps part of the point of the movie was that without the ability to practice their superpowers, they become normal- fallible to average wants and needs: vanity, pride, self-loathing...

This is what makes a lot of modern interpretations of super heroes interesting. They're either being given darker, more human and complex personalities (ie: Batman) or more inhuman ones. If you read Watchmen, an excellent example of a realistic superhero world (which is highly similar to the Incredibles- superheroes are outlawed and forced to hide among normal people), Rorshach would be like Batman and Dr. Manhattan would be like Superman- literally a god. Unstoppable, unbreakable, and capable of anything. Superman remains the same in the comic book world, however. It's the contrast between him and other heroes (especially Batman) that makes him interesting.

You'll notice I stuck to DC on this one. That's because DC characters seem to have more of a "mythology" feel to them, whereas Marvel tried to make them more human, such as Spiderman and Wolverine. People really liked this for a while, but then they started to turn into soap operas with superpowers. I think DC has done a lot with character development now, though- as you can tell, I'm a Batman fan, and the way they've made him into a tragic hero which we want to sympathize with but fail to is fantastic to me.

[ November 10, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Kat,

It's the same responsibility. No function of power changes it. It's just when powerful people neglect their responsibilities, it draws more attention.

Book, I agree.

[ November 10, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, in trying to appeal to the modern suburban family, they distance themselves from superheroes.

Entertaining as hell, though, and I loved the movie. I'd DEFINITELY see it again.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
TomD

The bad guy was...me. Except for being bad, of course.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Except for being bad, of course.
Of course!
Boothby171
Member # 807

But you have to realize that I find Disney's "The Lion King" morally repugnant.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.