FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And so it begins in Darfur (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And so it begins in Darfur
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it... but I suppose you never know.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Traveler, exactly. Unfortunately, people in the government (and, after the election, I suspect a large portion of the population) disagrees.

twinky, too true. Wait till India and China are overtaken with AIDS. Wait, we'll probably consider that a good thing. No more outsourcing jobs to India and a huge security threat out of the way. Or is that fewer jobs to be outsourced because Chinese markets dried up and major instability as panic leads to widespread violence? We are just too short-sighted for our own good.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sopwith,
Yeah, no doubt it's a world-wide cultural problem too. I was just trying to forestall treating it like a political football. Not nearly enough people anywhere care enough about what happens in Sudan to countenance being inconvenienced by it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that deep down, we all, as citizens of this planet, want to see help come to these people.

But I believe we will be too slow to move.

I hope and pray that I am wrong, though.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
And I believe that the majority of people, deep down, are far too selfish to pay even a small price to prevent the coming atrocities. If there was a way to stop it without people having to in any way be inconvenienced by it, it might happen. Otherwise, I think it's very unlikely.

The potential to care is well within mankind's potential, but far away from it's actuality.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost afraid to check the news on this today.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most people I know who have been/are in the military tend to speak of guerrilla combat as one of the most effective forms of warfare a small force can engage in ...
fugu.
At least one military analyst (his name escapes me) says low-intensity conflicts are the only decisive ones in the long term, though many would disagree.

I think the only hope for many of the refugees and others at risk is either relocation or partitioning of Sudan. I also think violence followed by partitioning will become very familiar in the 21st century. . . [Grumble] [Wall Bash]

[ November 04, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
The UN is going to be the stumbling block in this instead of actually helping.

On the bright side, in a MONTH they are actually going to Kenya I think it is, and going to talk some more.

That's going to save innocent lives.

The UN reminds me of "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

quote:
Door
[Sound of Opening]

Judith
They've arrested Brian!

All
What? What?

Judith
They dragged him off! They're gonna crucify him!

Reg
Right! This calls for immediate discussion!

Judith
What?

Sibling
Immediate!

Sibling II
Right!

Loretta
New motion?

Reg
Completely new motion! Uh, that, uh, that there be, uh, immediate
action...

Francis
...uh, once the vote has been taken.

Reg
Well, obviously once the vote has been taken resolution the oh --
-- resolution!

Judith
Reg, let's go now, please!

Reg
Right, right!In the - in the light of fresh information from
sibling Judith...

Loretta
Ehm...not so fast, Reg.

Judith
Reg, for God's sake! It's perfectly simple! All you've gotta do
is to go out of that door now and try to stop the

Romans nailing him up! It's happening, Reg! Something's actually
happening, Reg! Can't you understand? Oooh!

Door
[Sound of Closing]

Reg
Yeah, hello. Another little ego trip from the feminists...

Rogers
Hrm.

Loretta
What?

Francis
[Whistle]

Reg
Oh, sorry, Loretta. Uh, read that back, would, you?

That's funny, this is not. Basically they sit and talk about how they are going to act for so long to stop the crucifixion, he's already crucified by the time they do act.

It may be inappropriate to use in a thread this serious and for that I apologize, but it sums up my feelings about the "ineptitude" of the UN in actually addressing swiftly moving issues and problems.

BUSH be a man and send some troops and aerial support over there now and make change start to happen.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks good on the surface, but I have little faith in it:

Sudan and Rebels come to agreements

Maybe, just maybe, those folks will have a chance now.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about to get worse.

The UN is pulling their people out of some areas because of government interference. There are also worries about the safety of the UN aid workers.

So the monitors will be leaving. Who will sweep in to fill the vacuum? Probably the militias that have been attempting to eradicate the refugees.

Why didn't the UN just send peacekeepers in to protect their workers and cordon off safe areas for the refugees?

How can Kofi Annan just sit back and lightly consider this crisis? If no one acts soon, then 10 years from now we won't be talking about the genocide in Rwanda when we need an example of fiddling while Rome burns. Darfur will be what we speak of and feel ashamed about.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.