FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moby Dick (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moby Dick
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, so far it looks like I'm the only one who has read it and...meh. I didn't hate it, but...meh. [emphasis added]

I was confused about this, because no single book has been mentioned in this thread that has not been read by at least a couple of posters here.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, you're making me want to re-read it. Darn you!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. I should have put "only one in this thread who has read it who has thought 'meh' rather than loving it."

The worst casualty of this misunderstanding is the Simpsons quote. You know how jokes aren't funny when you have to explain them? Yeah.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I get it!

::smacks forehead::

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
"Bartelby, the Scrivener" is a great story.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, doubtless, my going on this whaling voyage, formed part of the grand programme of Providence that was drawn up a long time ago. It came in as a sort of brief interlude and solo between more extensive performances. I take it that this part of the bill must have run something like this:
quote:

Grand Contested Election for the Presidency of the United States

Whaling Voyage by one Ishmeal.

Bloody Battle in Affghanistan.

Though I cannot tell why it was exactly that those stage managers, the Fates, put me down for this shabby part of a whaling voyage, when others were set down for magnificent parts in high tragedies, and short and easy parts in genteel comedies, and jolly parts in farces

Moby Dick Chapter 1.

Seemed appropriate for today.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this is a shameless bump. I started rereading the book though, so maybe I'll do a daily bit.

One thing I just noticed on the first page: Ishmael says going to sea is like his version of suicide (pistol and ball, or throwing himself on his sword). I never thought of it before, but it sure is ironic that the guy who thinks of a whaling voyage as a suicide winds up being the only one alive at the end of the story.

Also, does anyone know when Ramadan is this year? (Yes it's related)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I also did my HS senior paper of Moby Dick. It was actually what inspired me to join this forum (see my name?) but then I came to this Engineering School where literature is...not.

I did my paper on how Ahab's character is holy, unholy, divine, and demonic. What a great guy.

I also love how Melville wrote to Nathanial Hawthorne right after he had Moby Dick published that he thought it was (paraphrasing) 'an evil book.'

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Wait... Melville thought it was "an evil book?"

I'd like to see that in context.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Moby Dick Chapter 33
quote:
For be a man's intellectual superiority what it will, it can never assume the practical, available supremacy over other men, without the aid of some sort of external arts and entrenchments, always, in themselves, more or less paltry and base. This it is, that for ever keeps God's true princes of the Empire from the world's hustings; and leaves the highest honors that this air can give, to those men who become famous more through their infinite inferiority to the choice hidden handful of the Divine Inert, than through their undoubted superiority over the dead level of the mass. Such large virtue lurks in these small things when extreme political superstitions invest them, that in some royal instances even to idiot imbecility they have imparted potency.

Man! Forget Notradamus! Melville was a prophet!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.