FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Political remarks (not mine) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Political remarks (not mine)
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Johnathon, as you age, you might find more wisdom and intelligence in some you'd call rednecks than your Princeton and Yale grads.
I never said the rednecks are/n't wise, I just said they are classicly the opposite of the Princton grads. That never reflected wisdom; and today it's different, anyway.

Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how you can call the war of 1812 a draw. The war started over the Brit's blockade of trade (France had recently recinded a similar policy) as well as the Brit's practice of impressment. Once peaceful means failed (an unsuccessful American trade embargo) war broke out.

The Americans planned on conquering Canada but failed utterly (well, they torched York, but didn't succeed in holding any territory). The Brits planned on gaining large American territory in a peace treaty but were successfully beaten back.

In the end, many died and a treaty was signed that changed none of the reasons for starting the war. The blockade was still in effect and impressment wasn't stopped. [Edit: nor did the British withdraw from the great lakes region, a tertiary reason for the war.] Considering these were the reasons the US declared war against the British I'd say the war was a failure. Not to discount the impressive victories on the part of the US, but just because you didn't lose the land you started with doesn't mean you won the war. Nor even "tied", the British got to keep everything America wanted to see changed.

[ October 26, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Personally it offends me that someone from another country would dare to tell me who I should vote for for my elected official."

Yes. I expect many Bush voters would be offended by that.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I still love what Lewis Grizzard said after he'd had a heart valve replaced by one from a pig.

"I get a tear in my eye everytime I eat barbecue now."

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite taken by the equation of "offering their opinions of the situation" with "telling me what to do."

For one to necessarily be interpreted as the other is an interesting perspective.

[Sopwith: [Wink] . I ducked the pig valve (I have a cadaver valve and a metal/plastic conduit), so Tom's pulled pork causes no secretion of my bodily fluids other than drool.]

[ October 26, 2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
As an adolescent (far too primitive), I have NO IDEA what you just said:
quote:
Sopwith: [Wink] . I ducked the pig valve (I have a cadaver valve and a metal/plastic conduit), so Tom's pulled pork causes no secretion of my bodily fluids other than drool.]
But, it is my precise style of punctuation inside brackets! (That is, when I remember what's my official style, since it's a trifle over-versatile.)

If this remark is weird, remember I'm the son of an English teacher; please have empathy.

Jonny

P.S. What're the current affairs in the US following the debates? Any other major stuff?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm quite taken by the equation of "offering their opinions of the situation" with "telling me what to do."

For one to necessarily be interpreted as the other is an interesting perspective.

Funny, unsolicited advice about which religion is valid or whether unmarried people should have sex is often equated with "telling me what to do" by the listener.

Dagonee

[ October 26, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that is interesting too, isn't it?

I'm more likely to give weight to the "opinion equates with 'telling me what to do'" theory when it is in the context of legislative history, though. When the people giving you their opinion are actively influencing your life through legislation, it has a different context.

I do see what you mean, however.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

(Jonathon: [Smile] )

It used to be that most replacement heart valves were either transplanted from pigs or were created artificially. Pig valves need to be replaced every 5-7 years and artificial valves -- although they last practically for the rest of one's life -- require one to be on blood thinners.

I have, instead, a heart valve donated by the family of a young man who died in a car accident. This is accompanied by some metalware and other parts, but I don't have to be on blood thinners.

So, unlike Lewis Grizzard, I haven't any pig parts in me, and thus I can eat barbeque with impunity, aside from the same moral issues that might arise for anyone. Tom and Christy make a delicious shredded pork dish (although yes, there is another connotation to "pulled pork," as I now recognize to my great chagrin [Embarrassed] ), so I can enjoy drooling over that without shedding any tears for my compatriot pig race.

[ October 26, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first thread were this came up.

I'll re-ask the question I asked there. I have a friend running for Congress in New York. I can't vote for her, but I think that she'd do a very good job in Congress. So, I emailed the people that I know who could vote for her with why I think she'd do a good job and a link to her campaign website. I also asked them, if they liked my email, to send it to other people in that congressional district.

Are my actions offensive? If not, how are they different from what the Brits are doing?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
how are they different from what the Brits are doing?
Because of this portion of your post: "I emailed the people that I know."

Presumably you also knew they would be receptive to your opinion on the subject.

Dagonee

[ October 26, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, I emailed the people that I know who could vote for her
The emphasis I added illustrates one big difference.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Let me rephrase it. I emailed people I had email addresses for, some of whom I've never met in real life.

[ October 26, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Then you're a spammer, and deserve to die. [Big Grin]
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Hey, I'm in PA. I've gotten a metic ton of unsolicted political material in the past week alone and have stopped answering the phone altogether, and none of the stuff I've been exposed to respects my intelligence or has any discernable quality (apparently voting for John Kerry will make my breasts at least two cup sizes bigger) at all. I sent an easily discarded sequence of bits that, I think, makes a clear, rational case for someone that I also think people could really get behind. If I deserve to die, the RNC and DNC deserve to be eaten to death by fire ants.

And that's kind of irrelevant to my point, which is that people don't have the outrage response to what I did nor thought that I was being incredibly condescending.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

You asked what the difference was. I answered. I think outrage is wildly misplaced here.

But amusement at their expectation that they could have any positive result by doing this is well earned.

Dagonee

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Sorry, I meant difference with respect to the outrage. I'm also somewhat amused by them assuming that there would be a positive result of this, although it also makes me more than a little sad.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'm still in the hog issues.

I never heard of pigs' hearts' transplants, maybe because I study in a religious school. (Damn! Philosophical studies have a price.)

I thought Chimpanzees are more similar to humans than pigs, anything I missed in Biology lessons?

Jonny

P.S. "You deserve to die", I'd go for imprisonment.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

See, e.g, Aortic Valve Regurgitation from Allina Hospital & Clinics' Cardiology Advisor:
quote:
What are the risks and benefits of surgery?

Surgery to replace the leaking valve, and sometimes to repair the aorta, can lead to longer life with fewer symptoms for some people with aortic regurgitation. The risk of death from the surgery is 2% to 8%.

Two types of artificial heart valves are available: mechanical and bioprosthetic.

Mechanical valve replacements work well, but require lifelong blood-thinner medicine to keep blood clots from forming in the bloodstream. These drugs cause a small increase in the risk of bleeding. This is most serious when it causes bleeding in the brain. Follow-up care requires frequent visits to a doctor.

Bioprosthetic valves are either specially treated pig valves or valves made from other body tissue. They do not require long-term blood thinners but breakdown more often.

Surgery to replace the aortic valve at the proper time can improve both the quality and the length of life.

[italicization added by me]

Pig valves are cheap and readily available. Human cadaver valves are more limited in number but are becoming the treatment of choice where available. Mechanical valves are still an excellent alternative in the right circumstances, especially for young males (long life expectancy without any issues of maintaining a pregnancy while on blood thinners).

I have a valve transplant, not a whole heart transplant. Transplanted hearts are from fresh human cadaver donors. Full organ xenotransplants (from other animals to humans) have not been successful, although pig full heart transplants have been attempted in the past (from chimp Bino to human Boyd Rush in 1964, but the heart only pumped for minutes to hours, which has been the consistent response) and are still under research. There was also the famous case of a baboon heart transplant into "Baby Fae" in 1984, but she only lived for 3 weeks.

Needless to say, there are many ethical issues involving xenografts.

Cool link: NOVA online's Operation: Heart Transplant, or, How to Transplant a Heart in Nineteen Easy Steps

[ October 26, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Sorry for the valve/heart mistake.

I do know a heart surgent, old neighbour of mine; if I ever get into deper biological trouble I'll refer to him.

Thanks for the information, though!

Jonny

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Wave]

Stay in good health! I intend to do so as well. [Smile]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

"Anything happy in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening." - Murphy

Does that count? [Wink]

I do, however, maintain average shape. Neither scrawny nor obese.

I wish you a healthy heart and life, as for the rest of Earth's population of various animals. (Aside from those annoying Middle-Eastern insects, I hope they stay away from me!)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.