FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I’m blocking hotel rooms for wedding guests . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: I’m blocking hotel rooms for wedding guests . . .
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have blocked rooms at the Memorial Union. They are not huge rooms, but they are within easy walking distance of the wedding, and being on campus has a lot of advantages in terms of activities.

There are 7 suites, which are $72/ night for one or two people and $5 per night for each additional person. One of them is a smoking room, though. There are also 8 regular rooms, which have one double bed for $62/night. Rollaway beds available for $7. We can add more of this kind of room if we need to.

Rooms are held until 2 weeks before the event, at which time anything not reserved with a credit card is released.

To make reservations, call (515) 292-1111. The block is under my name – Dana Williams.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've dibs on AJ's van. [Smile]

*goes off to check train schedules*

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Icarus, which of those days is your birthday? Because they're getting married to celebrate mine.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
4/4, so technically they will be celebrating my birth on their honeym--um, never mind. [Angst]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

[ROFL]

Technically, we will be celebrating Icarus' birth on an airplane.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, what time is the wedding? Our plans might revolve around such info. Thanks.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

4 pm. Reception immediately following.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't we having the Hatrack Party while they are having their reception? They'll have to make a stop, of course.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh, and if it affects anyone’s plans, children are welcome.

Edit: with their parents, of course.

[ October 11, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

dkw
Member # 3264

I think I may have solved the reception dinner space issue. If not, you still have to come to the dance.

Link to the band that will be playing for the dance. [Smile]

[ October 11, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Barring unforseen circumstance I will be there with bells on. I hope that won't detract from any music you have planned, I'll try to sit still.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
DKW, I love the stand-up bass player!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! It's like he's ZZ Top's Granddad.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not missing this for the world! I'm coming. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's a definite. I don't know if I'm bringing the kids or not, so I don't know whether I'll need my own room or can share...

I'm driving from Tulsa to there. Anyone want a ride?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I assume you'll be coming up I-35? If you are and my family doesn't go I might be interested. I would think Farmgirl might be as well. She's in Chicago right now so we'll have to wait on a reply from her.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is exciting [Big Grin]

No car decorating. It's a safety hazard.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Killjoy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well....

Okay...

You can decorate ElJay's motorcycle.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmmmmm.... he's not being serious, is he? I can't tell yet.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Nonononono, I wrote mine before he wrote that!

Besides, I don't have a motorcycle.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Like we're going to leave either of our cars where any of you can find them. [Roll Eyes]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Although I'd totally bid on this one, if I had a way to pick it up.
ElJay
Member # 6358

How exactly do you think you're going to get to the reception, then?
dkw
Member # 3264

Ain't tellin.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Spoilsport.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Planning on taking Hwy 169 to Kansas City and I 35 to Des Moines...

Detours are, not only possible, but probable if it means I'll have Road Trip Companions. [Big Grin]

My van has seven seatbelts, including the driver. That means that, even if I have to bring all three kids with me, there will be three spare seat belts.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

ElJay! I love the V-Stars!!!

If you want, I'll help you find one that's a better buy although, how much that one goes for could be interesting to watch -- I suspect it will not meet the minimum reserve price.

Issues to consider:
1) 8000 miles on motorcycle tires is not trivial, even though the rear did look good there..

2) A 2000 Yamaha is almost out of warranty. You can get a nice 1-2 year old one for less than 1/2 price of a new one and still have significant time left for warranty. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't know if the V-STAR comes with the same warranty as the rest of the "STAR" line. I'd have to check.

3) My experience with MOST Yamaha dealers has been very positive. I would definitely consider buying a used bike from a dealer, especially if they were local and knew the history of the bike (i.e., they'd sold & serviced it).

As for how we're getting to the wedding. Look skyward at 3:37 pm...

[Razz]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Thanks Bob... I've been watching the papers and several on-line sites besides e-bay, and the 1 - 2 year old ones seem to be going for way more than half price of a new one... Mostly $1000 or less off, which just doesn't make sense to me.

That one does seem to have a LOT of miles on it, for its age. I figure there's more riding time in Texas, but still!

I've already checked my local dealer, and they don't have any, but I'm sure there are several more in the city. regardless, I'm not in any hurry. I was planning on buying in the spring, anyway. But that one is so low, I can't help but watch... and wonder what the reserve is. [Wink]

Oh, and what kind of bike do you have? Dana didn't know when I asked her. she just said it was a lot bigger than the one I want. [Smile] (I pointed one out to her passing us on the freeway.)

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...If that's the case on pricing, maybe you can save up for a new one??? I bet you could finance it with a good down payment and not be too shocked at the payments. I wonder if maybe the prices don't drop much until the warranty is almost over??? I'll have to ask around. That seems oddly too high to me as well.

As for my bike... [Big Grin]
I have the Midnight Venture

I really, really like it! [Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

Excuse me? I did too know! Sort of.

I was 90% sure it was a Yamaha, anyway.

[Razz]

ElJay
Member # 6358

That's beautiful, Bob.

The money isn't really what's keeping me from getting a new one. I just don't think I want a brand new bike when I'm just starting riding.

Plus, I currently have no interest bearing debt except for my mortgage. I don't think I want to change that for a motorcycle. I'll be paying cash or not at all.

Edit: *snort* Yeah, Dana, you know how many different types of motorcycles Yamaha makes? That was less than helpful.

[ October 11, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But . . . the University Memorial Union has a hotel, and it’s only a few blocks away. I hadn’t thought of it right away, but it might be the best. It’s got a rec center with bowling and pool and such
Cool! I haven't been bowling in forever! [Smile]
quote:
Your travel restrictions are from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, correct?
Almost -- sundown Friday to full dark Saturday.

Also, my SIL, who lived in Omaha until recently and in Des Moines the year before that, recommends taking Southwest to the Omaha airport. I will check out those ticket prices later.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

rivka...what's the definition of "full dark?" Is there a time estimate you can place on it for April in that general latitude?

ElJay... I think you are wise to get an older bike (but not too old) for your first one. And paying cash is a good way to avoid the "going in debt for non-essentials" morass.

I really can't see spending more than $2500 for a used V-Star when new ones are so inexpensive. My value sensors must be out of whack or something.

Sheesh!

[ October 11, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Hmm. How much after sundown is full dark? (Edit: Sundown will be 6:42 pm.)

And is chocolate kosher? If we get specifically kosher chocolate, is it okay if it’s in a fountain that may have been used for non-kosher chocolate? I’m sure we can get some of the dipping stuff kosher. If nothing else, whole strawberries are okay, yes?

[ October 11, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks to the wonder of Hebcal, I can now tell you that the candle-lighting time (actually about 20 minutes before sunset, as you can see) is at 6:21 on April 1st; while Shabbos is over for me at 7:35 on the 2nd.

However. PLEASE do not schedule around me! I cannot commit to coming (although I am trying hard to manage it), and would feel AWFUL if things were scheduled around me and I were unable to make it! (Actually, I'd be rather uncomfortable with that even assuming I do make it.)

On a similar note, while I think it is incredibly sweet (pun intended [Wink] ) that you are trying to arrange for the chocolate fountain to be kosher, I can tell you that the effort that would be involved (getting kosher chocolate is probably not so hard; kashering a fountain? probably very hard, and I can just picture Rabbi Adlerstein's face when I asked him that one . . .) is just not worth it. And I love plain strawberries (which, like any (whole -- although most cut ones are fine too, thanks to Department of Health regs) raw fruit or vegetable, is absolutely fine)! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, we'll leave the fountain as is. [Smile]

The reception situation is this -- in order to fit more people, we had to move it. It's now three miles from the ceremony site, and nowhere near any hotels. However, dinner will be from 6-7 or so, with dancing starting around 7:15 and lasting about 3 hours.

rivka
Member # 4859

*weakly* So . . . how bad a walk is it? At least I wouldn't have to walk back! [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you arrange online live video feed?

[Big Grin] [Razz]

Ah, well, was worth a try.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

My recommendation would be that you skip the dinner and just come for the dance after 7:30. Everything going on pre-dinner will be within 4 blocks of the hotel.
rivka
Member # 4859

*grin* That would be the most likely scenario, yes. The last time I walked three miles, at once, on purpose . . . *ponders* . . . was a long time ago. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Southwest won't calculate ticket prices that far in advance . . . but it doesn't look like it'll be cheaper. In fact, none of the tickets to Omaha look all that useful.

*goes back to hunting down NorthWest certificates*

rivka
Member # 4859

"expires Mar. 31, 2005"

"expires Mar. 31, 2005"

"expires Mar. 31, 2005"

"expires Jan. 31, 2005" [Roll Eyes] [Grumble]

dkw
Member # 3264

Hmm. If the first leg of a round trip is on March 31st, can you use them?

Speaking of which – I’m actually going to be in Des Moines until Thursday (yes, I have a mandatory three day conference that ends two days before our wedding), so anyone flying in then can ride back with me.

And there’s a chance that Bob might be in San Francisco for work and flying back Thursday night. So there’s another potential car pool, depending on which airport he ends up flying into.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually vouchers can be used to purchase travel for after their expiration date, they just have to be used up themselves before the expiration date.

I'd read the T&C on the vouchers (or call the airline), I know vouchers I've gotten worked that way, and I would be suspicious of any that didn't, actually.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

"Travel must be completed by March 31, 2004" [Razz]

However, NorthWest has had these vouchers every year for quite some time. I bet if I wait a couple months, there will be new ones.

Also, having poked my ego with a large pin [Blushing] , I realized that you were just trying to help me plan, not planning around me. [Embarrassed]

rivka
Member # 4859

Oh! But good news, I verified with my principal that (assuming that the date of Production doesn't get changed) I will certainly not have classes on April 4th, and am highly unlikely to on April 1st.

She congratulates you on your timing. [Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

If you'd like to re-inflate your ego a little, if kashering the fountain was a reasonable proposition I would have done it. Still would. So if you decide you want to see the look on Rabbi Adlerstein's face . . .
rivka
Member # 4859

[Kiss]

*laugh* I just might, just to see his face. But I would be shocked if it were simple -- and quite likely it's not even possible.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
If I decided to show up...would you mind?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.