FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Television (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Television
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
things on the school network
You mean they had cameras all around and they filmed you guys? Wow, so cool, a whole school going Real TV! [Razz]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't (and can't for that matter) watch TV, and I agree that most stuff on it is a total waste of time, but I enjoy The Simpsons, West Wing, King of the Hill and Seinfeld.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a cartoon man myself. Mainly childish cartoons, but anime is fun also [Wink]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started watching Angel recently (I'm up to the episode where phantom Dennis was introduced). Is it true that they cut out Cordelia in the last season? I think she is the heart of that show, I certainly wouldn't want to invest a lot of time watching Angel if my favorite character gets cut out in the end.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it still portrays Peggy as the smart Boggle Champion or Arlen
Peggy is not portrayed as smart. She thinks she's smart, which is a different thing entirely.

I see her as the type of the "small town pseudointellectual."

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: If you want to get a taste of Gilmore Girls before you rent it and have ABC Family, they're airing a marathon, starting with the pilot, this Sunday.

I've personally never been interested in Gilmore Girls. The concept and commercials just made it appear too depressing. I'm thinking of catching a couple episodes on Sunday, though.

There's also a Smallville marathon this Saturday (tomor...er...today) on ABC Family.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
She pronounces Spanish very badly.
Do men ever get insulted about being portrayed as brutes all the time? Seriously, are men really that... vicious, dumb, thinking with their gonads, jealous, ect?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, though I like baseball, I really don't care for football one bit...and my hubby is a football fanatic. *sigh* So, now that football season has started, I spend Sunday afternoons and Monday nights hiding out in rooms away from the TV. Maybe if the people I loved didn't scream at the TV during football games, I'd be more inclined to try to watch it. [Razz]

I do think that dramas, at least, tend to have fewer of the male stereotypes than comedies do. It seems to me that a lot of the females in dramas come off as slightly more stereotypical, in fact--tending to be "less rational" and more driven by emotion. These stereotypes tick me off a bit, but it's TV and not real life. As long as you remember that it's just fiction, for fun (see the escapism thread!), then you can sit back and enjoy when it's good, and turn it off when it isn't.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
vwiggin, since you asked...

SPOILERS FOR ANGEL

Yes, they do, but frankly, by that time, she's so shrill and obnoxious, you're REALLY glad to see her go. Or at least, I was, anyway.

If you want to know more story details, I can tell you...or you could read recaps at televisionwithoutpity.com.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
About the ONLY show I watch any more is The Simpsons , and the kids watch PBS on Saturday AM while we ....sleep....in. WE may watch a movie or two on the weekend, but the tube never goes on during the week.
I am so so happy my husband hates sports.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
We're funny... we keep going back and forth between high-def-all-the-channels-big-widescreen-TV and let's-just-throw-the-TV-out. We can't get broadcast in our area, so if you want any TV at all, you have to spend $15 a month for the broadcast channels, or $30 a month for basic cable. We did just the $15 for a while, and right as we were about to cancel cable entirely and toss the TV, they offered us some great deal on basic cable. So we've still got it, and we did for some reason buy a widescreen HD set, we hardly ever use it to just watch TV. (It goes great with the Playstation and DVD player, though!)

Personally, I tend to prefer reading the recaps of shows at http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com . They're hilarious, and take less of my time than actually watching the show. [Smile]

Alton Brown rules, though. I'd watch him every night if I could remember to turn on the set.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.