FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it something about me, personally, or is this just a guy thing I Don't Get? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is it something about me, personally, or is this just a guy thing I Don't Get?
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting most guys who flash you Olivetta, are just trying to brag about size.

Too bad they can't just be confident in the fact that their tiny when compared to a real man. *points to self*

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to teach hatrack the difference between growers and showers, but it ain't gonna be me. [Razz]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think either of the adults who've done this had anything to brag about. The kids just did it for the shock value (this was back when I was between 8 and 10) I'm fairly certain.

I am, actually, a freakshow magnet. I have a certificate and everything.

Today, I just happned to be the only one in the drive through line at Starbucks that was stuck behind the building (the place you give your order is on the same side as the pick-up window). I noticed some guy gesticulating and, well, there ya go. Had my sunglasses on, so I don't think he ever realized I saw him, but he was trying real hard to get my attention. I told the guy at the drive-up window, and he had somebody dial 911. Guy was gone by the time they came.

The other time, I was in HS. I used to walk around my neighborhood sometimes. It was pretty. There were apple orchards and natural beauty. Then there was this guy in front of me. I have never laughed so hard. He left. *shrug*

But even my beloved has done this thing occasionally. In private. I'm doing the dishes or something, we're alone. Out of the blue, Trouser Snake!

I have come to believe that it may be because he's so impressive that he does this. But I'm always like, "You have GOT to be kidding."

Maybe I take his magnificence for granted.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
If your post is to be believed, Olive, you are in the best position to appreciate the implications either way. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that men expose themselves because they get off on the shocked look -- not to brag about size. Exhibitionists, right? I think you can find that definition in just about any psych book.

Poor Olivet. I guess I've been really lucky, the most I've ever gotten is a few car horn beeps.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Leo on this one in that I count myself quite lucky to have never had this happen to me. Whistles and cat-calls and the staring they come with are bad enough, but THAT? [Roll Eyes]

That and I admire your restraint, hun - I'd have wanted to slap both of the flashers as soon as I'd got over the shock and actually conciously realized what was happening. PSI's comment about spilling the coffee sounds good, too, though [Big Grin] .

Edit because I realized saying that I'd be "sorely tempted to hit" someone might not be such a good idea in this thread. [Blushing]

[ September 22, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

As long as you wash your knee off afterwards, I don't see it being a problem.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
So, one day in junior high school I was walking down the street about 2 blocks away from the elemetrary school
SOME GUY WAS STANDING THERE WITH it OUT FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO SEE!
I was freaked! [Eek!]
I walked away from him as fast as possible and told my grandmother who called the cops and they made me look at pictures of really ugly men.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
In an Urbana, IL, library -- before I had the street sense of a typical peanut -- I used to love tucking away into a hidden corner with a good book. This was until the guy in parachute pants started masturbating a half aisle down. I nonchalantly strolled past, browsing the books, eased out of view, had a librarian call the police (there had been complaints before, but he hadn't been caught), and had him arrested.

[Big Grin]

It was satisfying in indescribable ways.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Reading back over this... I'm sorry I made it sound like it happens often. Twice in a lifetime (excluding children) just SEEMS like a lot.

In my defense, it IS twice more than most people I know. *shrug*

Syn, I just had to tell you that your post made me laugh. I mean, it was horrible, but the "Made me look at pictures of really ugly men" bit. Poor thing. It was like they punished you for being the victim. Poor Kid

Sara, Good on you!

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This doesn't seem to happen to my friends. Why ME? Is there an invisible sign on my head that says, "Penis Inspector"?
This happens to one of my friends as well. Never to me. I can catch trains with impunity - but not her.

Poor Olivia. Maybe you should start carrying signs in your handbag to whip out in response. "It's not that big" or "They say it's what you do with it that counts - guess you're screwed on both fronts" kind of thing.

Either that or pepper spray.

*ouch*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, I'm pretty sure it's your wholesome-yet-decadent appeal.

imogen: pepper spray with indelible ink, just to make the identification that much easier. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever been flashed once, to my recollection, but it was a doozy.

About, oh, ten years ago or so, I was in a van with a group from community college going to a conference in southern California. All women in the van, by the way. We were on I-5, right about where you pass Magic Mountain, almost to our destination, in fairly heavy but moving-at-the-speed-limit traffic, when I looked out the window to see a guy on a motorcycle, pacing our van, with his Little Friend flapping in the wind. It took me a second to realize what he was doing, and then I just looked away and started laughing hysterically. Of course I was the only one in the van who saw it, so I had to explain to everyone else why I was laughing so hard.

The thing that I was laughing at so hard was not so much that he had done that, but at the thought that had flashed through my head when I realized what was going on. It went something like: "He's on a motorcycle, in traffic, on a freeway going fast. If he goes down, he's going to lose that thing and it's going to hurt." [Eek!] And in my opinion, if he was stupid enough to do that there, he deserved whatever happened.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Let's hope he wasn't taking a short cut.

-Trevor

Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being on a bus trip, once, long ago, and a long car (a limo?) passed us with a woman stripping in the back seat. I didn't actually manage to see it because everyone crowded the windows on that side, but the implication from what I heard was that she seemed to be a high-class prostitute on the way to a "job".

Whoever she was, when the occupants realized she was being observed they sped up and disappeared into the distance.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is, I didn't even see his face. Took one blurry look at that freaky brown thing and took off.
(
Kind of meant for that last statement to be funny)

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PSI's comment about spilling the coffee sounds good, too, though [Big Grin]
>_>
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Freshman year, the boy who sat next to me in math class used to masturbate for nearly the whole class period. I honestly think he was trying to be discreet about it (if that's really possible, in such a situation...) and he was a complete nerd who never said a word and who seemed to fear even ordinary social interactions, so rather than embarrass him by making a big deal out of it, I privately asked the teacher if I could be moved to another seat. She complied and I don't know if he ever stopped doing it.

That's the closest to the aforementioned "flashings" that I have ever experienced - and for that I am very glad. [Razz]

Seems like you do have a talent for attracting exhibitionist weirdos, though, Olivetta...

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I was with a girl I know at McDonald's when I caught one of the employees with a hand in his pants. I assumed he was tucking in his shirt or even adjusting himself, but he didn't remove his hand for a while. The friend knew his name and said that he had done the same thing all through high school. I guess I wonder why those dudes think they are being discrete?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Denial.

Because they are anything but discreet.

-Trevor

Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I hesitate to even bring this up, but...

Every now and then guys have been known to get...disarranged. It's not comfortable at all, and we like to find some way of adjusting ourselves to fix the problem, although most of us try to be discreet. I found that it was usually possible to do this without being seen by watching just the people to either side of me, because the shape of my desk hid that part of me from most views.

However, on one occasion (during middle school) I became careless and was spotted by someone who began to make fun of me. To make matters worse, one pair of my pants had begun to have zipper malfunctions, and though I had meant to discard them I had accidentally worn those pants that particular day--my fly was open. My taunter spotted that too, and soon gossip began to circulate that I was masturbating in class.

Completely false...but what could I do about it, at that point? I kept my mouth shut and let it die down. Also I made sure those pants were carefully disposed of so I never wore them again.... [Blushing]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Discrete like concrete.

[Laugh] PSI

Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. In my experience, most high schoolers at least write a pass to the restroom.

Seriously, this is why I don't eat or drink before school.

[ September 22, 2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Anthro ]

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work for a computer manufacturer which had long rows of burn-in racks for reliability testing. The burn-in man would walk up and down the rows of computers with his hands thrust deep into the pockets of his anti-static smock. One day his boss happened to discover that those pockets had little holes worn in them. The man had been fly fishing the whole time.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
one of the teacher's at my high school taught many classes with one hand in his pocket, just a little disturbing.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that what is known as multitasking?

Seriously, I don't get why someone would do anything like that in public. Adjusting, yes, that is necessary and probably poses a problem for guys trying to be discrete. But sexual behavior in public? Ewwww.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
On the army base I had this regularly happen. (Multiple times a month.) After a certain point you just role your eyes and continue on your way.

Outside if that, i've had it happen maybe 3 or 4 times.

Maybe I have a massive penis inspector stamp on my forehead [Dont Know]

(to be honest, I can't remember one of these guys penis' or faces so I guess if they were trying to shock or impress me the failed miserably [Razz] )

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The sheer volume of aphorisms here makes me snicker...

[Hail]

And I have no interesting stories, except when one of the non-verbal men I lived/worked with decided to come downstairs to tell us he was done his bath...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so's you know, a man with his hand down his pants for an extended period of time isn't necessarily choking his chicken. Go to a soccer game in November and all the guys will be standing around with their hands down their pants while not on the field or during a long stoppage. It's cold out and that's the warmest part of your body.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

"It's nature's pocket."

(Futurama quote)

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
I just couldn't continue reading every single post, but if this hasn't already been covered, you will find it informative. Here is another link. It is a behavior where you aren't really being factored in as anything but a tool to arouse them. It isn't to impress you or excite you, it is to satisfy themselves because it arouses them.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
Go to a soccer game in November and all the guys will be standing around with their hands down their pants while not on the field or during a long stoppage. It's cold out and that's the warmest part of your body.
You see ... this has to be some major socialization difference between men and women. Hands in armpits, yes. Warming up batteries in my cleavage, yes. Resting my hands down my pants clutching my bits ... no. Just ain't gonna happen. Not while just standing around shooting the breeze and watching a soccer game. I couldn't even if you tried to make me.

Very different.

beverly
Member # 6246

Sara: [ROFL]

Jutsa: That makes a lot of sense. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

beverly: [Big Grin] (you know?)
beverly
Member # 6246

Tohhhhtally
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine, but don't come whining to me when your fingers freeze [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

You know, Sara, guys don't have the benefit of cleavage. Now the question remains, which is warmer? Armpits or bits?

Line up, let's test it out.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Some of the guys did that on Boy Scout trips, but I just refused. Yes, it's warm(er), but I really don't want cold hands anywhere near my "bits".

It's so much more dignified to just bring some gloves and dress for the weather.

And it's a temporary fix at best because you break the seal helping to retain body heat.

-Trevor

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me Olivet, you should be happy they just show you their thing... I happen to be a person whom guys try to touch, and I swear my clothing is not suggesting or anything ! When you cross a man in a street and he just touch your bra like that, you're so astonished you don't have time enough to kick him before he goes away !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Erk! Eek?

Gah.

That's more than a little creepy.

Thanks Anna for illustrating the "it could always be worse" cliche. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Olivetta
Member # 6456

If men try to touch my chest, I just assume they're wondering if I have any [Wink]

Actually, I did get pinched once on a Brazillian transit bus. It was so crowded I couldn't tell who I needed to slap.

One of the blessings of having slight curves is that you only get groped by butt-and-leg men. At least, that's what I assume. I think there are more breast men, generally.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.