FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help the fashion impaired (Mrs. M?) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help the fashion impaired (Mrs. M?)
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
If it isn't stiff enough, it won't stay in place.

[Dont Know]

Kind of like how starched napkins make the best folds.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In your current situation, that's probably the single most effective thing you could do to professionalize your look.
I'd have to say "yep" to that one.

(But I'm sure it does look cute on you, Hobbesie. [Smile] )

[ September 08, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I personally LOATHE, the cell phone holsters that guys wear on their belts. If that is what you are referring to via "tool belt" no matter how much I generally love your fashion taste, I'm vehemently against that in particular.

On the other hand I don't think a "tool belt" like that a telephone repairman wears is exactly what you had in mind either.

Could you clarify?

Oh Hobbesy, if you ever need them for future jobs, I love Dickies steel toed boots.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, AJ, good golly no! I hate those stupid things with a fiery passion.

I really only have a vague idea of what an engineer does (sorry [Blushing] ), so I have no idea what Hobbes would need to have on his person. I was thinking of something like the brown suede tool belt that my uncle wears to his construction sites - the kind where you can hang your hammer and stowe your measuring tape, etc. I think that tool belts are sexy - I had a huge crush on one of my uncle's carpenters who always wore one (I later found out that my uncle threatened to shoot him if he came near me).

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well at the moment Hobbes will be dragging around 30lbs of books on his back to get to classes. And he will have an oversized graphing calculator the size of a clutch purse, that has all of his equations for each of his classes custom programmed in. Probably several mechanical pencils of whatever his favorite brand and style is, and a good supply of engineering paper.

Oh, and a couple of erasers and hopefully a straight edge and a french curve if he's got a really nasty professor. You just hope the weight from the books doesn't crack the plastic in the french curve though they've got neat ones now that are bendable into whatever shape you need.

And since he's doing programing too, he just might be hauling a notebook computer around as well.

Actually the backpack I had for college is doing quite well for hauling my stuff to work, though it's much lighter without all of the books.

AJ
(how'd I do with my guesses Hobbes?)

[ September 08, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh and Mrs. M, the corporate engineer often does wear those dispicable cell phone holsters. That's why you had me worried.

AJ

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
My backpack is about as fashionable as a pit bull wearing bright orange camoflauge (which might actually be fashionable to some people god help them), but it does the trick. My fear of most backpacks is the fact that the zipper goes clear down to the bottom of the stupid thing. I can just imagine how easily a broken zipper would cause a most fearful catastrophe. My backpack opens only from the top and is double stitched to hell and back all over. It has never ripped on me no matter how heavy of stuff I put in it. It's made of heavy canvas so it's next to impossible to put a hole in it. It's friggin' awesome. It's also British military surplus. It's ugly, but it's the bee's knees.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing in my pockets? But... but... [Cry] I typically only keep a piece of paper in there (techincally it's my schedual, but really it's just scratch paper when I desperatly need to write something down) and one pen (it's big and fat, I like it because it's from my work, and is thus quite unique, not many peoplee here have pens associated with a geo-physics program with 100s of millions of dollars [Big Grin] ). It's so nice and handy, I can't haave that? [Cry]

AJ, pretty good, except I hate and loath pencils of any kind, I have one really nice one in my pack since as an engineer I of course have to use it all the time, but otherwise I stick to pens for personal stuff (like notes). I'm still waiting to buy a decent straight-edge for the rather annoying reason that I have yet to find a decent straight edge. No French curve though. [Smile]

I manage to not have to bring books to class, but I do bring all of my notebooks I'll need for the day along with tons of engineering paper. Another check for the calculator (it's so useful, who cares how big it is?) I don't normally bring my computer with me... except I did today. I can manage to fit all of this in my pack, including the small pocket stuff... it's just nicer to have something write on aand with handy.

... Sorry, got to go thnks for the suggestions! I'll be back later (and the we'll have signatures in the foyer [Wink] ) [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.