FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » rant--relatives again (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: rant--relatives again
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
But he had to see what was on the front to realize what is was. Unless you think he looked right past the girl and read the title.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the FUNNY bit was how he HELD it, not whether he read it or not. To continue with the analogy, it would be like handing a Jew a paper-wrapped pork loin. It's still not NICE, but it's far from mean.

(And PSI, I solemnly guarantee you that the front cover of Playboy is newsstand -- and Mormon -- friendly. Heck, the vast majority of Playboy is typical magazine fare; Josh had a better than 50% chance, even had he flipped it open, of encountering nothing more dangerous than an article about the Google IPO.)

[ August 24, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
At least you stuck to your guns, AJ. Is this the one your mom wants you to go to in order to assuage her guilt for missing it?

I've found bluntness to shorten such conversations considerably. Really, what else could she have said? If you offer "nice" reasons you leave yourself open to refutation.

quote:
I'm stil at work doing an evaporation experiment that is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
Am I the only one who thought this was hysterically funny?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't the same at all, Tom. What he believes to be sinful about the Playboy is viewing it, and by handing it to him, you made him view it, at least the front.

I typed this in before I saw your edit above. [Smile]

[ August 24, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud of Zevvy, anyway. Resistant to peer pressure and still managed to be polite.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
1) The equivalent of slipping bacon into kosher food would be sliding naked photos into a copy of a normally PG magazine.

2) Some men do read Playboy for the articles. I know this because my grandfather was blind, and the Braille version doesn’t have pictures.

3) I suspect is was funny because, as discussed on the “humor” thread, unexpected juxtapositions are funny.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom, the cover of Playboy is actually often more innocuous than that of Glamour or Cosmo. The point is Zev didn't open the magazine, and no one ever (as far as I know) actually attempted to make him do so against his beliefs.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

dkw, that's not right, because it's not just the state of nakedness that's what's wrong. It's being part of something that's objectifying.

----

However funny the attempt was, Zev handled it perfectly.

[ August 24, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

So it's like putting paper-wrapped bacon on a plate, next to the food. Not evil, but in extremely bad taste.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
It's being part of something that's objectifying.
My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that it has everything to do with lust and pure or impure thoughts.

Objectification doesn't necessarily equal lust.

AJ

(While I'm not a guy, for me objectification actually can create a barrier of distance between myself and out and out lust making it unreal and isoteric, rather than down and dirty.)

[ August 24, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Time out -- I think I don't have the whole story.

Where did the magazine come from in the first place?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It was a wrapped birthday present to Zev, and the actual present, the gift certificate, was inside.

It was adorably sweet and thoughtful to give the birthday present, and I'm sure the gift certificate is greatly appreciated. Just...the method wasn't funny.

[ August 24, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Monkeys]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Gift certificate subscription to playboy, or gift certificate for something else?

AJ

(Didn't know this part of the story)

[ August 24, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Oh. Well, it's less funny if it was a set up. Bummer.
katharina
Member # 827

Something else, I think. The present was really sweet, and it was very sweet for Zev's birthday to be remembered and celebrated. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was a gift certificate to Borders to -- and here I quote Noah -- "get something you'd actually want." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yeah. [Smile] Like I said, very sweet.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
It was, in my opinion, very funny because of the pure shcok value, and I agree that he handled it perfectly. Josh is a great guy.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2) Some men do read Playboy for the articles. I know this because my grandfather was blind, and the Braille version doesn’t have pictures.
Does it have bas relief renderings? [Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You know, this discussion has made me wonder, if Playboy readership has dropped off, since the advent of the internet. Or maybe they are making more money of their internet site than they are off of the publication.

But clearly it isn't just the titillation that makes people read Playboy. You can get that easily and often cheaper via the internet or TV or Victoria's secret catalogs. I'm guessing it is the image and lifestyle that Hugh Hefner cultivated which seems somehow classier than most of the other comparable magazines.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

Nope.

edit: to Noemon.

[ August 24, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think most men get Playboy for the articles and the fiction. The kind of erotica that Playboy does--airbrushed women with fake boobs--is pretty much passe. Most men prefer looking at 'real' women, if they want to look at naked women. As you noted, this kind of thing can be done for free on the internet.

edit: Which is to say that men don't buy Playboy for the 'lifestyle that Hugh Hefner created'.

[ August 24, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
The best inteview with Vonnegut I've ever read was in Playboy.

And it was a hilarious gift. Hilarious.

Zev, [Kiss] you're so sweet to put up with us crazies [Smile]

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with celia for the second two of three counts, since I never read that Vonnegut article.

Josh is a stand up guy. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Holding a playboy magazine is not a sin.

Holding it with just one hand while...

Sorry Papa Moose. Never mind.

And the whole comparison to Bacon thing--come on.

Bacon no bad taste.

Bacon taste goooooood.

Finally, Banna, if we are your family can I be that strange fun uncle that nobody talks much about but who ends up showing up at all the reuions smelling funny.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...like bacon.

Actually, I've had the following conversation with the fiance of one of my friends:

him. "Bacon makes EVERYTHING better!"
me. "Even ice cream!?"
him. "They make BACON ICE CREAM!"

*twitch*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Finally, Banna, if we are your family can I be that strange fun uncle that nobody talks much about but who ends up showing up at all the reuions smelling funny.
I didn't think that role was really assigned - I thought it was just kind of earned. So you want to be strange, fun, and funny-smelling. I haven't met you in person, so I can't comment on the third criteria. But you're a shoo-in for the first two. [Wink]

Dagonee
P.S. Apparantly I was the only who thought the "evaporation/paint dry" line was funny...

[ August 24, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Dagonee, I'm glad you liked the paint comment. I had plenty of time to compose it...

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

My brother is engaged to mac's friend?!? [Eek!]
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
"So it's like putting paper-wrapped bacon on a plate, next to the food. Not evil, but in extremely bad taste."

This is my feeling exactly. (Sveta is a wise and wonderful person.) It was in extremely bad taste, though of course meant as harmless fun. It's only harmless if taken from the point of view that pr0n is basically harmless. People who have made the choice to avoid it because they don't believe it IS harmless don't have that point of view, obviously. When you are outraging someone's innocence, what defines the degree of outrage occurring is THEIR level of innocence, not your own.

In any case Joshy handled it beautifully, by all accounts. Three cheers for Joshy ... and an affectionate cyber-pillow smack to the head for baby brother Noah.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

First of all. I'm not upset at anyone about the whole thing, it was meant in jest. A good laugh was has had. I was slightly embarrassed. Noah managed to bring up my birthday which I had been so avoiding, and well, Hatrackers are awesome.

Tom, "there is NOTHING more panicked and desperate-looking than a Mormon kid holding a Playboy." I'm sure it was hillarious, honestly, I can see the humor. I did panick and was flustered. There were camera's all over, and well, I REALLY didn't want to have a picture of me with a copy of Playboy.

Throughout the whole time I never told anyone it was wrong of them to be reading it. I'm not saying that it is. I just expressed my desire to not be associated with it. There's a lot of things going on in my life right now, and well, there are some standards that I personally have decided that are worth adhering to. Just make my life a lot simpler. It would be too easy for me to have simply gone along and read it. But it would have comprimising my own decisions to have done so.

Not only would have it harmed my own opinion of myself, I think it would have been harmful to others' opinion of me. What makes this such a memorable event? Why are we even having this conversation? Because I DIDN"T look at it. If I would have just gave in and looked at it, would it have even been something you noticed? Maybe so. But I would have felt much less of myself afterwards.

I didn't consider holding or looking at the front cover sinful. I've been exposed to a lot worse than playboy. I'm not going to go into what and or why I actually consider sinful about it, or why I decided to not read it. Dosesn't matter. It's just a personal conviction that I was able to keep true to.

AJ, no on attempted to make me read it or look at it. Which I am grateful for. I love my Hatrack Family. And boy, Noah knows just how to push my buttons, but jeez, I still love him. I guess that's what brothers are for :-P

(There was a Barnes and Nobels gift card tucked inside it that I made Noah dig out for me, which he did with out as much as giving me a weird look.)

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hee hee, knowing me, if I didn't want to look at it I would have gone with the "Throwing it across the room" method to make the birthday card fall out.

*hugs Zevlag*

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly AJ. That method is for grading papers. (Oh, wait, no . . . that's throwing them down the stairs. Nevermind.)

And I thought the evaporation line was great. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's why I always used a heavy binder clip on my papers - much better aerodynamic properties for going downstairs than a staple or two.

Report covers were risky, unless you knew the teacher's stairs weren't carpeted, in which case the clear plasic ones were best.

Dagonee

IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting, Josh -- I saw the incident and thought you handled it well. But I could never tell if you were really offended (I considered it in poor taste, but would have been really upset if they had deeply offended you).

So you pretty much have answered the questions and closed the case.

Farmgirl posting as Ivygirl because I'm on her PC

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I've had the following conversation with the fiance of one of my friends:

him. "Bacon makes EVERYTHING better!"
me. "Even ice cream!?"
him. "They make BACON ICE CREAM!"

Mack's friend is engaged to Homer Simpson?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
So this thread didn't get derailed at all! [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
nah...
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.