FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grandma Blog (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Grandma Blog
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all laughter is either pain avoidance or affirmation of superiority (which is probably just another method of pain avoidance).
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- Is currently affirming his superiorty
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think all laughter is either pain avoidance or affirmation of superiority (which is probably just another method of pain avoidance)."

This is why you're not funny. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know me in real life, Tom. [Smile]
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't be funny on a forum full of anonymous Internet wits, you can't be funny. Unless, of course, you prefer to feel superior and/or avoid pain in person. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think that correspondance sent to an individual now belongs to the recipient. The harm potential seems minimal while the humor potential is quite large.

I'm still rooting for the pretend-blog.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Just making it clear, I have no intention of asking Grandma's permission. Particularly since I try to limit my conversations with her to once a year at Christmas.

And, to the amazement of people who have now actually viewed the volume of correspondence I have recieved, I've never written her back either. I think I sent 2 postcards my freshman year of college.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

We aren't conciously avoiding emotional pain. The fact is, that like pleasure, there is a very fine line between humor and embarrassment, anger, frustration etc. About the only exception I can think of is the funny things kids say. But again, this is often because it is a painful truth they tell us about ourselves or a way to make us feel grown up and and superior in a benign way.

I didn't claim to be witty. That isn't my talent. I don't collect jokes like my husband does, nor do I tell them very well, as he does.

But I am rather clumsy and often forgetful. Rather than be pained at my ineptness, I laugh and I enjoy the laughter of others. I don't cover up. I'll tell the story about myself, if the subject comes up. This is far more fun than crawling into a hole and and crying about what a jerk I am.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo... would you say that we only feel happiness to avoid feeling pain? Is pain/sadness the only "honest" emotion?

Edit: I guess that means I should copy this one over as well.

[ August 19, 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

To stay on topic, I'll copy my above post to the thread on laughter.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.