FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pizza! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pizza!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! It must be Sal's Pizza in Lowell.

Sadly, when I googled it, I found an obit for the owner, who died last August, weeks after we ate the festival pizza. Seems they have a chain.

Maybe we should have a Sal'sCon for our next Boston gathering.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me [Smile]

Phoenicia is about 25 miles west on rte 28 from the kingston exit off of 87, in the catskills. The place is called Brio's, and they have a wood fired brick oven in which they cook their fantastic pizza.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There is excellent brick oven pizza in Norhthampton, too. Pizzeria Paradiso. I would not put it in the same classification as "regular" pizza, though. I think of it as sort of gourmet pizza. Good(really, really good), but not pizza for the general public, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes I go to Woodstock, and if I am in that area, I will try that place.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Its worth checking out if you're in the area, if you like thin crusts.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're gonna use a premade sauce, use Barilla (assuming you can get it where you are). Of all the bottled sauces I've used, it's one of the best. Paul Newman sauce is also very good. Neither taste like they've been bottled, if you know what I mean.

Now if you want to make the sauce yourself, use fresh Roma tomatoes---they make the best sauce because they have a balance of sweet and tang that give sauce the strength to stand with all your toppings.

Viva pizza and best wishes!

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Jess,
Barilla pizza sauce, or just their regular sauce?

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!

AAAHHH! A bill a bill! Ahhhh... it's a bill!

Gotta tell ya, I have a client whose last name is Badger...I CANNOT stop myself from singing that one when he calls!!!

Goody
(p.s. edit for fat fingers)

[ August 10, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have a good recipe for sauce?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I just use pre-made spaghetti sauce. [Dont Know]

I am such a heathen!

[ August 10, 2004, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*joins beverly in her heathenhood*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I've used that in the past and enjoyed it, but I like to experiment and try and make stuff from scratch.

I made mayo once...

by hand...

Freaking hardest thing I ever did in a kitchen.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Either Barilla sauce works (their pizza sauce is really good though).
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I suppose I could just hunt online and find something. Knowing about the Roma tomatoes thing is good, though. I remember to substitute if it says anything else.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hubby throws fresh romas, garlic, onion, fresh oregano in the food processor. Throws into a pan with extra virgin olive oil. Salt, pepper, paprika, dried basil and thyme to taste. He never measures so I can't give any measurements, sorry.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a good recipe once where they baked roma tomatoes that were cut in half with some salt and seasonings before putting them through a food planer.

here it is: the foodnetwork website is friggin' awesome

I remember this episode: the wine isn't necessary, but tomatoes have lots of alcohol-soluble flavors that come out when cooked with wine.

Oh, and I think pizza sauce has basil and oregano, spice-wise.

[ August 13, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.