FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disney's Peter Pan and Racism (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disney's Peter Pan and Racism
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Just one of those eternal mysteries. [Frown]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a book of Uncle Remus's stories when I was little (in the South, in the 80s) and loved them.

And the Splash Mountain ride still has all the characters from Song of the South. Hmmm...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's been a long time, but the movie is about Remus and a little boy, and he tells him the stories about "Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby" and things like that. Have you heard those stories? They were around before the movie I think.

Yup. Was raised on them - the book in the school library was in the original dialect (I went to elementary school in the early 1960s).

The thing that makes it too embarrassing for Disney to rerelease it (the last time was in the 1980s) is the live-action sequences. They paint a very idyllic picture of plantation life - where the reality is that a few lived off the hard labor of the many. Before and after slavery ended.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been released...just not here in the USA.

Racial tentions are too high here, I guess. [Roll Eyes]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Kwea,

it's not that surprising - it's about a piece of United States culture and history. I think you'll find that other countries have similar issues -- Australia and media portrayals of the aborigines comes to mind as one possible example.

We can view controversial pieces about Australia with interest but without much passion. It's not surprising they can do the same with us.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Maybe I'll have to buy a bootleg copy. Unfortunately, I don't particularly want to buy something I haven't seen and seems like it might be questionable.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

bev,

check it out with ebay. I think Kwea's right about it being released outside of the U.S. The bad news is that most videos would be in PAL format - so you'll need an adapter or pay to have it transferred.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
As for Hercules - yeah, I was less than amused at the conversion from mythical hero to comparisons with today's sports "heroes."

Although once I got past that, I enjoyed the movie on it's own merits. It doesn't even have any catchy tunes - it just struck a chord.

And yes, I do own a copy. I even watch it now and again. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Beauty and the Beast and Mulan are the best...
I like Hercules because they used the word Schmeel and that word makes me giggle

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Annie said:
I entirely agree. I was offended at the liberties they took with Hunchback of Notre Dame. I mean... they didn't even still to the main premise of the story. How can they keep the same title when all they've done is used the names of the characters and discarded all the content?

Can anybody say I, Robot?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Eh, didn't they just slap on that title as an after-thought? I don't think it was supposed to have anything to do with Asimov. I hear it ain't a bad flick.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, the mother in Song of the South was upset with Uncle Remus because she (wrongly) regarded his stories as "upsetting" to her child. But then again, I haven't seen the movie since 1984 or so, so I might be remembering it wrong.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Disney nazi videos? I thought those were locked up as well...
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
They did release Song of the South, but only on video and only for a very short time.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.