FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Could the LDS missionaries have picked a better time? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Could the LDS missionaries have picked a better time?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"No getting tattoos, and for Pete's sake, definitely no getting tattoos in the seedy part of downtown Detroit"
I'm a little doped up at the moment, and it took me a minute to realize that the downtown part of Detriot wasn't a euphemisn for some region of the body.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So...*still trying to figure out why her missionaries always visited in pairs even though she is a lone female*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
That's easy. They broke the rules. ^_^ Porter did too on his mission. Their areas were so remote and the mission didn't really stress it. It wasn't always possible to follow the rule for them.

Not sure if your missionaries had that excuse though. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that always freaked me out. I don't know why they did that.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I just figured that with my son here, things were cool. Even though he was in another room, we could still see him. Besides, these guys were cool.

They really did brighten my day for the first time in quite a while. Then my husband came home. [Wink]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm glad they brightened your day. And I'm sure you refreshed and brightened theirs. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Saudade has said that missionaries look like puppies, they are so cute and sweet. <laughs> They really do have a puppylike quality about them that warms the heart.

Mine would visit me and we'd sit out on the front porch. Since we weren't alone inside it was okay. Also we played guitar and sang, though it was music based on hymns, so that made it okay, we decided. I started to play a song for them off one of my cds and they told me about the rules so we decided to let that pass and didn't do that.

They were very filled with the spirit. When I first called them I was worried how I would possibly discuss anything real or true or sensitive with people who were so young, and how could they know anything about life? <laughs> That was a prejudice, of course. Anyway, the spirit was there from the start, and I never felt at all uncomfortable. It was great.

They came by to tell me goodbye when they were reassigned to another area, and I wanted to hug them bye. That's when I learned about the no-hug rule.

I really like the rules. They are way above and beyond what is necessary but totally remove any possibility of suspicion, even, of anything improper, and make me feel very very safe and well-protected. I'm glad the rules exist.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I stopped working (obsessively) at 12 today so I could get in the shower before they came. They never showed up. [Frown]

It's really depressing when missionaries snub you. [Wink]

Actually, in my head, they couldn't come because of Elder Maxwell's death. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ July 22, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] [Frown] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Frown]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, watching those headbashers make MY head hurt. [Frown]

Do you have any idea why the missionaries wouldn't show up?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

1. They are flaky.
2. Their transportation fell through.

mackillian
Member # 586

OR...they could've stopped to help people stuck on the side of the road. [Smile]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
"Our" missionaries were the only guys I ever had in the house while Ron was away (other than my transgendered twin friends-- who don't really count because they don't actually have the male parts).

Ours drank some IBC rootbeer (one of them anyway. He really liked it, so I always made sure i had some when they came by). Ron would show off his new home theater stuff (You know, the thing where you show Jurassic Park with a cup of water on the coffee table? *snerk*). He even loaned them a Kodo CD (after they found out it was on the approved list).

They took me out to eat on my birthday, since Ron was out of town for work (I paid, but the company was the thing). We picnicked with 'em just before the last semi-longterm one left. Took picture sof them in out Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio convertible. They were planning to tell the folks back home it was their 'missionary ride'. *snerk* I still think of Elders Cosky, Simmons (from Hawaii) and Hatch (from Texas) and wonder how they are. Elder Hatch was the one that was around the longest, and we REALLY liked him. He sent us Christmas cards for a bit (we sent him some too, but we moved).

*good memories*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Can you call them? Do you have a number? This is so discouraging. Between Kayla and GradStudent, I want to kick the wall.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
When we moved up here, a young LDS girl gave me a haircut. We talked, and I think she sicced the local missionaries on me. They came one day while I was babysitting. One of them was bleeding, because the car door had cut him, so I hauled him into the downstairs bathroom and slapped some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid on him.

Anyway, it was a bad time and Ron wasn't home. They set up a time to come back, but didn't (maybe because we'd already done all the discussions. I dunno).

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.