FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Choose Life: A Name-That-Rant Game (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Choose Life: A Name-That-Rant Game
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone will get this:
quote:
...life is like a mop, and sometimes life gets full of dirt and crud and bugs and hairballs and stuff.

Well, you, you gotta clean it out! You gotta put it in here and rinse it off and start all over again. And sometimes life sticks to the floor so bad that a mop is not good enough, a mop isn't good enough. You gotta get down there with a, with a toothbrush ya know! You gotta scrub, you gotta get it all off, you gotta really try to get it all off.

And if that doesn't work, you can't give up! You gotta stand right up, run to the window and say: "HEY! These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it from UHF?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It was Stanley's "Network" rant.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

quote:
'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

I couldn't find the God rant from George Spigot in "Bedazzled", so I setttled for this.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

John Cleese in his most famous role!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Robin Hood in Time Bandits?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[ROFL]
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I really wish I could find the script for "Bedazzled" though. [Grumble]
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Problem? I haven't got a problem. I've got ****ing problems. Plural. Well, most recently, there's room 309, there's this scary Mexican gangster dude poking his finger in my chest. There's his hooligan kids snapping their fingers at me. There's a putrid, rotting corpse of a dead whore stuck in the springs of the bed. There's rooms blazing afire. There's a big fat needle from God knows where, stuck in my leg, infecting me with God knows what. And finally there's me, walking out the door, right ****ing now. Buenas noches.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Roth in "Four Rooms?"

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

hooray! somebody got it.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't even seen Four Rooms, and I knew that one. [Smile]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

how?

it is a damn fine movie by the way. i own the script book. you should see the movie. i'll loan you my dvd.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

It just sounded like something that would fit into what I know of Four Room's premise. That and it sounds like something Tarrantino might write.

Here's another:

quote:
I have something to say to all the sons out there. To all the boys,
to all the men, to all of us. It's about women, and how they are not
mere objects with curves that make us crazy. No, they are our wives,
they are our daughters, our sisters, our grandmas, our aunts, our
nieces and nephews---well, not our nephews...

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, your last guess is correct.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Homoer Simpson, in a strip club.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
With the lead pipe?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Very good, Dag!

I'm fresh out. [Frown]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is technically a rant, and it's pretty easy, but anyway:

quote:
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female party guests--we did. But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few sick, perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you--isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you bad-mouth the United States of America! Gentlemen!

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Animal House
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Another easy one:

quote:
Well I had no choice, did I? I'm a woman. Women are obliged to be far more skillful than men. You can ruin our reputation and our life with a few well-chosen words. So of course I had to invent not only myself but ways of escape no one has every thought of before. And I've succeeded because I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Martha Stewart?

(I know that's not right, but it felt right. [Evil] )

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Dag - [ROFL]

It's not that far off when I think about it, but it's still not her.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Madonna? [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

You mean Esther? [Roll Eyes]

Nope.

fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatshername from that Cricton movie? Er...dang. I could google, but not allowed! Aiiee! Uh. You know, the one with that older actor's son. And Bruce Willis' ex-wife? And...virtual reality...and...er...

That's it, I'm out of here. (work fried brain today...must get new one).

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I can't guess because I have to admit that I googled it, but hot dang. That lady has ALWAYS creeped me out.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I cheated and looked it up. Which is just as well cause I've never seen the movie.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Value this time in your life kids, because this is the time in your life when you still have your choices, and it goes by so quickly. When you're a teenager you think you can do anything, and you do. Your twenties are a blur. Your thirties, you raise your family, you make a little money and you think to yourself, "What happended to my twenties?" Your forties, you grow a little pot belly you grow another chin. The music starts to get too loud and one of your old girlfriends from highschool becomes a grandmother. Your fifties you have a minor surgery. You'll call it a procedure, but it's a surgery. Your sixties you have a major surgery, the music is still loud but it doesn't matter because you can't hear it anyway. Seventies, you and the wife retire to Fort Lauderdale, you start eating dinner at two, lunch around ten, breakfast the night before. And you spend most of your time wandering around malls looking for the ultimate in soft yogurt and muttering "how come the kids don't call?" By your eighties, you've had a major stroke, and you end up babbling to some Jamaican nurse who your wife can't stand but who you call mama. Any questions?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the age one, but I don't remember what in.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

its a commencement address but I don't know who said it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
that would make sense because I read about 20 commencement speaches this year (in speech class with)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a commencement speech, it's said by Billy Crystal's character to an elementary school class in City Slickers.

Edit: I believe the event in the movie is some sort of career day, but I could be wrong.

[ July 09, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well it looks like those commencment speeches that make the e-mail spam rounds.
*sigh* I clearly haven't seen enough movies, good or bad to play this game.

AJ

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
saxon's right. It's Billy Crystal in City Slickers.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

that makes sense too, I saw that scene from that movie a couple weeks ago on tv.

AJ I haven't seen enough movies to play this game either.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Wait, no one got mine!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M - it's brilliant. I know it, but only because I googled it. I wouldn't have otherwise. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, I want to know that one. With this much time having passed, should we let one of the googlers answer it?

Dagonee

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, Kat. I have tons more quotes from that movie - I was a bit obsessed when I was in HS and I copied down all the quotes from the tape (this was a couple of years before DVDs and IMDb).

I could just tell y'all where it's from.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hmmm... was it Glen Close? I'm trying to remember the movie, but it was pre-VHS...
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Dagonee you have the correct person.

I'm sure everyone will know where this one, possibly my favorite rant ever comes from.
quote:
Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll give it a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. So I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never had a problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Send in the marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a sh**. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number was called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some guy from Southie takin' shrapnel in the a$$. And he comes home to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his a$$ got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile my buddy from Southie realizes the only reason he was over there was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish to scare up oil prices so they could turn a quick buck. A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And naturally they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his a$$ is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what do I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. Why not just shoot my buddy, take his job and give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.

Oh my, it is strikingly prophetic too. (this is apparently the cleaned up version, I found several others that include the F word.)

AJ

[ July 10, 2004, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
That one is from Hackers, isnt it? The young, deliberately uncool genuis telling off the archetypel suits offering him a job or prison?
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nah, that one is Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, right? At least, the repeated "Southie" makes it sound like that.

If the other one is pre-DVD Glen Close, then it's either Fatal Attraction or Dangerous Liasons. The writing sounds more like a response to John Malkovich than Michael Douglas, so I'll say DL.

Dagonee

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. I was right about the young, deliberatly uncool genuis part, though.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.