FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for knowledgeable Terry Pratchett fans . . . (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question for knowledgeable Terry Pratchett fans . . .
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
A good place to "hear" how Death "speaks" is on the audio books produced by ISIS books. We found them at the local library. The very first discworld book we listened to was Mort and the word Pratchett uses to describe Death's "voice" is intonation. The actor that reads this book (Nigel Planer) drops his tone and gives a sort of mortuary sort of sound to Death. Now,my kids and I intone at each other. GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK has a lot more force when intoned. [ROFL]

I loved Mort but so far, my favorite has been Reaper Man. I have a soft spot for the Death of the Discworld.

Right now we're listening to Thief of Timeand I really love his satire of modern education and how Susan has become a teacher. The thing that I appreciate about Pratchett is his ablity to make me see the world upside down.

www.isis-publishing.co.uk

[ September 15, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Jess N ]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am dissatisfied with the structure of The Colour of Magic, particularly the ending.

It was a very fun ride: it just didn't go anywhere.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite group of Discworld books is the Rincewind books (especially Interesting Times), but my favorite individual book is Hogfather.
quote:
LITTLE MIRACLES ALL OVER THE PLACE, WITH MANY A MERY HO, HO, HO. TEACHING PEOPLE THE REAL MEANING OF HOGSWATCH, ALBERT.

"What, you mean that the pigs and cattle have all been slaughtred and with any luck everyone's got enough food for the winter?"

WELL, WHEN I SAY THE REAL MEANING--

"Some wretched devil's had his head chopped off in a wood somewhere 'coshe found a bean in his dinner and now the summer's going to come back?"

NOT EXACTLY THAT, BUT--

"Oh, you mean that they've chased down some poor beast and shot arrows up into their apple trees and now the shadows are going to go away?"

THAT IS DEFINITELY A MEANING, BUT I--

"Ah, then you're talking about the one where they light a bloody big bonfire to give the sun a hint and tell it to stop lurking under the horizon and do a proper day's work?"

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I COULD MURDER A CURRY.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The new one is out - "Going Postal." A convicted (and executed) con man is assigned the task of reviving the years-dead Ankh-Morpork Postal Service. It gets a little tricky...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
yay for new Terry Pratchett books!
[Party]

at least he doesn't take as long as Robert Jordan ... [Wall Bash] (yeah, I know Jordan books are thicker, but I think Pratchett can write the same number of words and put out more books in a shorter period of time - and yes, I'll still a Jordan fan - just a frustrated one)

and back to yay for new Terry Pratchett books!
[The Wave]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy...new Terry Pratchett book out...my favorite subject...and my first paycheck hits tomorrow.

Oooh, can we say "Fate?"

I knew you could.

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it in a slush pile, a yeara ago.

just kidding....

BTW, I really loved Small Gods..

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question... I'd like to get one of the Discworld books for my brother as a Xmas gift, I think he might like it. He's a minister, so I'd like to give him one that doesn't make fun of religion too much. (Or, rather, if it does, one that also has GOOD things to say about it.) I was thinking I'd try Small Gods, since I'd heard good things about it. But I just started reading it myself, and so far the emphasis is on religious hypocrisy. (Maybe that changes later on in the book, but that's how it's starting out.)

Sooo... any suggestions for a good Discworld book that serves as a good intro to the series, but that won't get perceived as being anti-religious and so get put down without getting finished?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Go with "The Color of Magic."

Small Gods' tone doesn't change much.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Dagonee. The first is a good introduction !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Discworld novels that address religion do so from the position of a skeptic observing Anglican history. [Smile] There are a few -- like Carpe Jugulum and Small Gods -- which represent fairly deep and largely positive views of religion, but mostly the priests of the Disc are, like every other organization on the Disc, subjects of satire.

If you're looking for books that are going to treat religion seriously, you're probably not going to find them here. The Discworld books treat very, very few topics seriously. [Smile]

That said, there are some books which deal with religion less than some others -- Guards, Guards! springs to mind -- or deal with religions that many Christians might not mind mocking nowadays (like Pyramids.)

The Color of Magic is one of the weakest books in the series, and doesn't work well (IMO) as a introduction except to people who are really determined to read things in chronological order. I'd go with Mort, myself.

[ December 20, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all are fast! Thanks all, I'll check out some of these at the bookstore today. [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Carpe Jugulum is the most religiously positive book of the series: a main protagonist is a man of the cloth.

Terry Pratchett himself considers The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic as lesser works, as mere parodies. According to interviews, the Discworld series -- as the chronicle of a World unto itself -- really begins with the third book, Equal Rites.

[ December 20, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
_Small Gods_ is fantastic. In fact, I'd love to teach a course on "Religious Satire That's Religious" that includes it along with Bulgakov's _The Master and Margarita_, Doestevesky's _The Idiot_, and a couple of other works TBD.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love "The Truth." I work at a newspaper and some parts of it seemed especially funny to me. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! That's the Discworld novel I just finished -- last Thurs. or Fri. it was.

I work in public relations so I found it quite funny as well. It's amazing the kind of crazy people you get if they think you can put them in print.

Venitari's comments about 'old' news are too true.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.