FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "...And?" (my memorial weekend swim) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "...And?" (my memorial weekend swim)
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats mack
Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, someday I hope you'll post something of the process that led you to join the LDS. Unless it's too personal of course. I just find people's spiritual journeys intensely fascinating.

As for being a leader, if God calls you, you won't get much choice. If you aren't called in that way, it doesn't make you a lesser person, or even less holy. We all have our purpose and our talents.

I think your photography speaks for itself, for example. If anyone can capture the "soul" of a place or a person, it's you.

Maybe the "eye" that helps you do that so well will help you to see other people and what they need.

The main thing is that you try to remain open to waht God is asking of you, and that you appreciate God's sense of humor. Might as well enjoy it, if you can!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a relatively immodest guy, I think skirts are only considered "modest" by people who are too modest to consider that they make all the fun bits easier to both see and reach.

In general, the more immodest someone is, the more appealing and immodest they find skirts. [Smile] Which, I'm sure, dismays the people who're wearing skirts because they incorrectly find them modest. *grin*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I'm reminded of a story...

someday, I may even tell it.

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I agree if we're talking about short skirts. But I was referring to loose, knee-length or longer skirts. Those are only immodest (IMO) when walking over a grate. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 100% on lambda with Tom's previous post.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
My pants are never modest
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't lambda a kind of cheese?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Imo,

I grew cheese in my pants once. I had the right culture, but I couldn't pass muster at the gates. The guards were underwhelmed.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*drops trou*

*displays cheesey rubber ducky*

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
How wildly innapropriate.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
lambda= wavelength

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Jamie! Thanks for letting me share in your day. Sounds like a wonderful weekend!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, mack! Great pics, too. It's easy to see that you are very happy. [Smile]

I think you and Dave may have ridden poor Katie a bit hard, though I'm sure it was all in fun. [Wink]

And, I , um, agree with Tom. [WOOT! WOOT TMI ALERT!] Though long, flowing past-the-knee skirts are actually the most modest choice for public or semi-public nooky. 'Cause if you get caught, nobody actually sees any of the naughty bits. [/TMI ALERT]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heathens.

So that's what us non-LDS are?

I think this remark demands a response from one of the members of LDS on the forum.

Maybe I am reading into it, but at the time it was posted, it seemed to me that the person who said it may have been offended by all the joking about heathens in this thread.

Her next post was to say she decided she wasn't going to Kamacon, after all, and that she had decided she doesn't really belong at Hatrack. She hasn't posted since.

I waited for someone to respond to the comment, but no one ever did. It was just ignored. I still believe a response is needed.

Just my two cents worth.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

When I saw the post and the KamaCon post, I wrote to Theca, and I got a response back on...Saturday, I think. I think Mack's also written to her. I am still thinking about how best to respond, and one idea was to start a thread saying "This is was Mormons think of NonMormons.", because it is absolutely terrible for anyone to feel left out, disrespcted, or in any way anything but loved and treasured. If you think it's warranted, I'll do it during my lunch hour - I have a project this morning that's requiring my attention.

For now, for quick - oh my gosh, please, for the sake of us all, don't leave and turn this into Nauvoo!!!! The wildly different opinions and people are part of what I love and adore about Hatrack.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Theca wasn't offended by it-since reading this thread, it was joking around, I thought-but if she was, so it's clear, I don't think she is a heathen.

My personal opinion on 'non-believers' from a new LDS perspective. I think that I've got the right idea `bout eternity, but also recognize numerous Biblical passages that point out the importance of being a good person FIRST.

That aside, let's say that there's me an a non-LDS person who are equally good (which is, lemme tell ya, tough to be [Wink] ). What does that mean? It means that I think I'm (maybe) six months closer to God than they are, in view of Eternity.

Which ain't nothin' to brag about.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I honestly think that if anyone has a right to joke about "heathens" it is LDS people. This is because fundamentalist Christians do routinely refer to them (and Catholics, but more so to LDS) as "heathens" all the time.

Growing up I heard my mother make frequent references to her "heathen Mormon aunt". She wasn't joking, she really believes that her aunt is a "Heathen". Funny, I now get along with that aunt better than my Mother...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, i would love to read that.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, let me finish this accounting manual twaddle and I'll write it during lunch. I have a big meeting at 1:00 for the same manual, so if it isn't posted during lunch, it will be after the meeting.
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
For now, for quick - oh my gosh, please, for the sake of us all, don't leave and turn this into Nauvoo!!!! The wildly different opinions and people are part of what I love and adore about Hatrack.
I have no intention of leaving. But I also would not want to see other people because of incorrect perceptions about how they may be viewed by others on the forum.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Yeah, I'm sure that to some extent 'heathen' was being thrown around in a lighthearted manner, but as much as 'no harm is intended', it can have an effect. I wonder how many people would rather not deal with that in this one little space.

[ June 07, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

You may well be right, Celia. But then again...sensibilities will always be offended in an open community. Shall the users of the word 'heathen'-whether lighthearted or not (though I think they are)-then ask those who use other terms to refrain from doing so?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

That was rather what I was getting at. I'm just in a particularly snarky mood.

[Smile]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

As distinguished from your ordinary, agreeable mood how? [Wink]
celia60
Member # 2039

[Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't realize the connotations of the word "heathen." I think partly because I was raised in the South as a non Southern Baptist and got referred to as a heathen so much that I blew it off. I knew I wasn't a heathen, whatever it was.

In how I used it that weekend, it was that worldly, dry, sharp oft dirty minded humor that people can have. As in...my own sense of humor.

That's right. I'm still a heathen.

I guess it's...hmm. I just have no reaction to the word anymore, because I heard it so much and felt it untrue, that I don't give any weight to it.

Much the same as Father Benedict called my class heretics all the time.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
I guess it's...hmm. I just have no reaction to the word anymore, because I heard it so much and felt it untrue, that I don't give any weight to it.
I guess you can't assume that other people don't give it weight, just because you don't...
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. That's what I realized. I'm sorry.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

hey mack (since you are posting on this thread) did you go to the doctor yet?

AJ

mackillian
Member # 586

No. I have an appt on Wednesday. [Wall Bash]

Maybe I'll be better by then!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh I misunderstood, I thought your appointment was today. My bad.

AJ

mackillian
Member # 586

No, I called today. Doc doesn't think it's related to my vaccine shot (dammit) but said it'd be good for me to be evaluated.

I DID see the physical therapist today about my left shoulder and at first he thought we could get away with me doing different stretches at home.

THEN he decided that I was in more pain than I let on. [Mad] So I have to see him at least three more times. [Wall Bash]

celia60
Member # 2039

You mean you recently had a shot, then had crazy symptoms and didn't go to the doctor?

Watch me not respond.

mackillian
Member # 586

I figured I was overtired from that weekend. Am also tired of going to the doctor and having him saying "I have no idea what's wrong" and feeling like a moron.

I get that enough in my daily life [Wink]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

sorry I should have been posting this here
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=024802;p=2

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I think partly because I was raised in the South as a non Southern Baptist and got referred to as a heathen so much that I blew it off.
So really, it's all about making fun of Southern Baptists. [Razz]
mackillian
Member # 586

Not exactly. 'Cause then someone else would be getting picked on. More like...because so many times what I was told was untrue, the words that were used became meaningless.
katharina
Member # 827

*sad*

I even included a smiley on that one.

mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, well. Gotta be uber-careful.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

It was almost certainly not ONLY Heinlein who ever said it, but he was where I first read the idea that all humor-anything that induces laughter-is or could be hurtful to someone or something.

Haven't been able to think of an instance where it isn't.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The pumpkins hanging from the tree in Hot Shots: Part Deux

"A hospital? What is it?" "A building with sick people, but that's not important right now."

The autopilot in Airplane being inflatable, and it's, um, reaction to being manipulated.

Lieutenant Drebin doing cartwheels all over his apartment to avoid possible gunfire.

The neverending ship exterior shot that opens Spaceballs.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
lambda= wavelength

Thanks AJ. Makes much more sense now. [Smile]

Hey Icarus, how about "It's an entirely different type of flying altogether"
"It's an entirely different type of flying"
[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, are you thinking of the scene in Stranger in a Strange Land where Valentine is trying to figure out why people laugh (he never does), then finally decides that people laugh because it hurts so much?

[ June 08, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thurber said humor is chaos remembered in tranquility. So, chaos is often painful?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.