FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun Smackdown II: Urbane renewal (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pun Smackdown II: Urbane renewal
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
All of the accountant's are working long hours, but I guess that's just because it's taxi-son.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that the cab drivers won't let you in if you have a bird with you. I guess the duck-shuns are quite common when the taxi's on duty. Sometimes the heiress that I courier pigeons for has to get involved.

[ April 08, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese to English pun:

Name an American city that is a number between three and six.
shi ka go (four or five)

Sorry [Blushing]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Elvish to English pun (sorta):

Name a city that could be a description for the Uruk-Hai.

New yrch!

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Said to my wife after a long day, sightseeing Chicago on foot:

"Let's get the el out of here!"

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

My dad was a prime meer fisherman. He caught stuff like red herring, red carp, et. al. He used strange bait too. Anything he could find really, grubs, holly, wood sometimes. Now he's dead and buried. His body's a host for worms. Papa rots, he does. That's why I'm a ward of the state. But he did leave a cat to me (which I'd like to think was his way of saying, "I love you.")

I remember he'd have to fling his line out really far to get to some fish, but then for instance it was only a flick of a wrist to crappie.

(Sorry guys, stuff just kept coming to me.)

[ April 08, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I see the depressing, mean and nasty poet has arrived to entertain us. He's the bully bard of broken dreams.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Andie Taylor was watching his son play baseball. The proud father yelled: "Opie! Rah!!"
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, my father used to live in the city. He took me back to see the house he grew up in. It was falling down and rotting, all used up. I figured this was as close to a spent house view as I'm gonna get.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I went to a party where everyone was sharing walking sticks. When I asked why, the host said, "Oh, we are using co-canes.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*peers at the chocolate bar and the peanut-butter jar*

One of these two goes on the Ritz. I'm sure of it. But which one?

*peers at the cracker*

Which one?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

What Mongolians call it when calves mingle in the corral:

New Yak Talk Exchange

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Skillery,
That MAY OR may not be the biggest groaner of the thread.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

She defied people!
skillery
Member # 6209

I'll help the kids feed the carp so that no ONE WASTES TREATS.
skillery
Member # 6209

Name of the Dragon that passed gas when flying over the city...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The judges have returned their ballots...er ballets (Thanks T_Smith), and here are the winners:

Biggest Leap
T_Smith for:
quote:
We all know this will end in a dark black tie if we do this by secret ballet.
Best sounding pun
T_Smith for:
quote:
Yeah, but what will he have to chauffeur it?
Phrase at the edges award
punwit for:
quote:
it could place a a what's the word...er...bane on his life.
best set up
Elizabeth for:
quote:
I had some bread tonight, but the bottom was soggy, so I had to eat the upper crust
best response to a pun
punwit responding to the above with:
quote:
Elizabeth, quit wining
paved with good intentions award
Elizabeth for :
quote:
How much does that broad weigh?
The Oscar for the Most Earnest pun
goes to Beren One Hand for:
quote:
She does have pretty broad shoulders. You might want to watch out for her Feminine Wildes.
Split my insides award
punwit for:
quote:
Can I invite a friend to join this pate?
Biggest Stretch
Elizabeth for:
quote:
Punwit, you are a bon wit. But don't worry, I won't tell 'er.
Best 'food for thought'
Elizabeth for:
quote:
Bob, that sounds a bit petty for you.
gone to the dogs award
jehovoid for:
quote:
May-or pets be allowed to participate? Or can we not pet-agree?
packed in like rats award
Dan_Raven for:
quote:
Or biblical discussion, like which prophet is older. I thought Sam-my, but Dav-is Junior
best suck up to the host
jehovoid for:
quote:
By the way, Bob, congrats on another capitol thread.
most obscure
In fact, the judges asked if you wouldn't mind explaining it...
To jehovoid for:
quote:
So are a lot of people coming to this get-together?
Charlie's horse award
MidnightBlue for:
quote:
All of the sports teams had pictures taken on Tuestday; it was really one of those Cameron Dias.
best meter
MidnightBlue for:
quote:

All of the accountants are working long hours, but I guess that's just because it's taxi-son.

best adaptation, foreign language pun
skillery for:
quote:
shi ka go
best pun...long form
jehovoid for:
quote:
My dad was a prime meer fisherman. He caught stuff like red herring, red carp, et. al. He used strange bait too. Anything he could find really, grubs, holly, wood sometimes. Now he's dead and buried. His body's a host for worms. Papa rots, he does. That's why I'm a ward of the state. But he did leave a cat to me (which I'd like to think was his way of saying, "I love you.")

I remember he'd have to fling his line out really far to get to some fish, but then for instance it was only a flick of a wrist to crappie.

best constructed
and
fall down laughing award
punwit for:
quote:
You know, my father used to live in the city. He took me back to see the house he grew up in. It was falling down and rotting, all used up. I figured this was as close to a spent house view as I'm gonna get.
best flow
skillery for:
quote:
I'll help the kids feed the carp so that no-one wastes treats.
The Ooops I thought of a better way to do it award
Bob_Scopatz for:
quote:
I see the depressing, mean and nasty poet has arrived to entertain us. He's the bully bard of broken dreams.
Which really should've been:

quote:
I see the overbearing surrealist poet has arrived to entertain us. He's the bully bard of broken dreams.
And now the final awards for the evening:

The I'm going to steal that one someday and claim I came up with it award
punwit for:
quote:
I think while I'm visiting the big city I should shout out an insult. We can call it my debut taunt.
biggest groaner -- our highest award...
advice for robots for:
quote:
Did you hear the one about the transvestite with the singing leg? He/she had an opera shin.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Thanks Bob this is great fun! Elizabeth, for what it's worth my vote for biggest groaner was your "Patty did. She had to duck or she would not have been a liver."
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Punwit,
I found myself getting nauseous at my own puns in this thread,and that was certainly one of them.

Thanks Bob! These threads are so much fun, and brighten my day.

punwit
Member # 6388

Elizabeth, I posit that your nausea was a complication of digesting all that rich food talk.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Punwit, please stop trying to SPAr with me.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm actually having a lot of fun coming up with appropriate names for the awards. I think I was maid for this, but le resistance est futile, and I'm ill dressed and must ask "how green is my valet?"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, I think your pun was way out of sequins.

[ April 10, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well! I never expectd such a dressing down from you, Liz.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, Bob, it is just this cold I have. I have to keep my head up to keep from dripping, and it makes me look down my nose at everyone.

[ April 10, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

punwit
Member # 6388

You know Bob I believe you are correct. You were tailor maid for this. I've been in stitches most of the time. Even on those occaisions when someone hemmed and hawed. Sew to wrap up this thread I say "Always suit yourself and needle those that cuffaww at our bad puns"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, Bob, when is Smackdown Three?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, looks like Punwit has the next Bob Suckup Award all sewn up.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
To shore up the loose ends, I just want to say I completely agree with Bob's choice for "The I'm going to steal that one someday and claim I came up with it award."

That line was brilliant Punwit. I've been waiting to compliment you for days, but couldn't really do it without unraveling the fabric of this thread. [Smile]

[ April 11, 2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

vwiggin,
If you had unravelled the thread, we would have just gotten some more in the garment district.

punwit
Member # 6388

At the risk of giving away one that could be used later, I could reach into my deck of insults and send one your way. If you aren't used to handling these please be careful with these deala taunts.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*takes a bow*

I'd like to thank my Handler.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

"So are a" is supposed to sound like "soiree" if you slur it a bit. Maybe I should consider using footnotes for the next round.
punwit
Member # 6388

Thanks vwiggin. I'm glad you enjoyed it. My wife mostly looks at me with disdain and shakes her head. It's nice to get a little love now and again.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of real estate developers in NYC, but one in particular Trumps all the others.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.