FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Misspellings That Drive You Nuts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Misspellings That Drive You Nuts
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
xavier,

despite your frankofilick name *shudder*, you raise an interesting point.

if people didn't misspell, where would we be? there'd be nothing to argue about. no devolution of the language(s). I don't think that hystorical changes in spellings were a greed upon by comity?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing is primarily a form of communication. It's a way to express ideas, the lack of proper spelling inhibits the expression of those ideas. Mikie can be as brilliant as he likes, but if I can't understand him when he communicates that he might as well be incredibly stupid. Granted, I could take the time to decipher his spelling, but if I don't know him well enough to know it will be worth it, why should I? He's the one trying to communicate with me, the burden is on him.

This is slightly hypocritical, since my grammar is abysmal, what little exists is completely instinctual. However, if someone would like to go over the rules of grammar with me from the beginning, the VERY beginning, kindergarten level, I would really appreciate it.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
blackwolve, try Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. I'm serious, that tiny little book will cover 95% of what you need to know.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

blackwolve, I'd agree with you if it weren't for the utterly discomforting phenomena of mobile text messaging, not to mention that alternating UC/LC business.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
UC/LC?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

that upper-case, lower-case thing. I'd attempt to use it in a sentence, but I'd surely get it wrong.

fallow

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, The Elements of Style is like the writer's Bible! [Hail] That book summarized all my years of grammar and writing lessons...to think I could have just read it to start with! [Wall Bash]

And God forbid text messaging lingo ever turns into a real language! [Angst]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elements of Style was my first required college text. [Cool] I couldn't sell it when I was done.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it oy vey, or oy vay, or oi vey, or oi vay or...
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just admit that we're all smarter than everyone else and get on with our lives.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What if admitting that I'm smarter than everyone is my life?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.