FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Mormon Green Jell-O Roll Call Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Mormon Green Jell-O Roll Call Thread
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
SarcasticMup,

What's trifle?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
The trifle that I have had doesn't have any jello in it, but rather cake, pudding, and fruit (strawberries) all together in one dish so that it kinda merges together. Its good stuff.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread had me laughing until I cried.

I really should have gone to bed a long time ago.

And by the way, Jell-O with anything in it is disgusting. As is any flavor other than strawberry.

There. Now those darn Mormons will stop knocking on my door.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Icarus, really!
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the fascination with green jello to be particularly amusing, because as I've learned since marrying my dear Vana, there is nothing more Swedish Lutheran than red jello.

Nothing.

[ROFL]

[ March 30, 2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
There is notihng wrong with green jello; as long as there are NO carrots in it! ick!

[ March 30, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Our trifle has rasberry jello, rasberries, custard, and bananas stacked in a trifle dish lined with lady fingers with whipped cream on top of the whole thing. Mmmmmmmmmm...good. Even with the bananas, which I just pick out. [Big Grin]

[ March 30, 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Green Jello sounds really good right now.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to hide a plastic toy in the green jello and whoever got it was lucky. Only green jello though, for some reason.

Now whenever I think of green jello I think of a small plastic goat.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been to enough Southern Baptist potlucks to know who the true kings of the green jello are. Mormons are, I’m sorry to say, Johnny- come- latelies, with your fancy dancy pineapple and carrots. Oh, we also invented carrot and raisin salad. Blech.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mom used to hide a plastic toy in the green jello and whoever got it was lucky.
Yeah, lucky right up to the point that they choked to death on a plastic goat.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I want some jello right now.

Red jello. In cubes.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands Kat some red jello cubes*
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

WASP cooking. >_< blech :-p
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Aw Icky, open your mind a little.

And your mouth. *lobs a red jello cube in Ic's general direction*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Green Jello with mandarine orange slices!

Has anyone one made Jello in layers? Red, creamy stuff, and blue jello for 4th of July.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Poke Cake!

Thank you, thank you, sarc-mup.

I have talked about this for years, recalling this bizarre dessert that I had at a LDS function that basically involved my entire town -- it was held outdoors at the stake [roughly = to a diocese] ranch/farm and there were two very long rows of tables of food. There were 5 or 6 tables for just dessert.

Anyway, no one that I've brought this up with [and believe me weird Mormon desserts a somewhat frequent topic of conversation in both my family and peer group] knows what the heck I'm talking about. But yes, I remember seeing several rectangular pans of white or yellow box cakes that had had wholes pokes in them and Jello poured over them. Very strange. Repellant even.

EDIT: I feel completely validated.

And: the only true Jello dish is cherry served with real cream that has been whipped with a little sugar and a fair amount of vanilla.

[ March 30, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*adds Zal's name to the heretic list*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I love that cake.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy a good poke cake.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I'm afraid, JonBoy, that you have fallen prey to a Mormon cultural pseudo-doctrine based on a Brigham Young quote that was completely taken out of context as well as what turned out to be spurious comments made by Parley P. Pratt in the Millenial Star during the brief time he edited it -- comments that he later repudiated and acknowledged as based solely on speculation

Scriptural evidence as well as modern revelation clearly states that cherry Jello is the only true restored Jello of the dispensation of the fulness of times and that real whipped cream [no Redi-Whip or Cool Whip] is the Lord's own topping.

And turning Jello into salad by putting vegetables -- esp. carrots -- or fruit -- esp. pineapple -- or cottage cheese in it is simply wrong and one of the abominations referred to by Paul in his epistle to Timothy.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Baptists did NOT invent carrot raisin salad. It's North African. However, you were most likely the first ones to put mayonnaisy products in it rather than honey and cinnamon. Blasphemers.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
No one should be proud of having invented a carrot raisin salad.

Blech.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my heretical opinion of jello.

It sucks swampwater!

Except for the recipe my granny taught me. (non-denominational/methodisty granny - the other was LDS)

Lime jello mix combined with cottage cheese, cool whip and mandarin oranges. Nummy.

Sugar high - here we come!

The LDS granny did not stoop to such desserts as jello, ever! She made homemade pie crust, peeled and cored, sliced and diced, seasoned and spiced some of the best apple pies you have ever tasted. And pumpkin. And berry, and . . . ohhh - sigh of contentment at memories. [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, yeah, Zal? Well, I think you should take your tax-hiking, government-expanding, Pepsi-drinking, sushi-eating, import-driving, Sunstone-reading, Hollywood-loving, left-wing freak show back to Vermont, where it belongs.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While it is setting, you mix some shredded pineapple into the jello left in the bowl. Then, you spread a layer of sour cream on top of the jelled jello, and then pour the jello with pineapple on top and let it jell.
Just don't try putting fresh pineapple in jello - it will never jell. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, trifle is just plain disgusting. Had a roommate make it for us once and it was just stomach-turning wrong in all sorts of ways.

Secondly, what you guys have been referring to as "poke cake" is an actual Jell-o recipe distributed by the Jell-o company. I made it for three years at the restaurant I worked at in High School.

Last thing I'll say about Jell-o is my Mom's recipe for three color Jell-o salad makes all ya'lls stuff look like congealed puke. Every year she makes it for Thanksgiving. Green on the bottom. Red on the top. The middle layer is her secret. All I know is it involves cream cheese and pineapple. Absolutely Fabulous.

The end.

-PT

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I think you're a little confused, JonBoy.

I'm presenting the neo-orthodox position.

Sunstone types believe that all Jellos are of equal value and that there should be room for many different types of Jellos, even those that are rubbery or don't set completely or are mixed with walnuts and sour cream. In fact, they encourage Jello experimentation. However, while they give lip service to Jello diversity, in reality they look down on those orthodox Jello enthusiasts who shy away from complex Jello dishes and instead choose to eat Jello plain (or with a dollop of whipped cream).

katharina
Member # 827

Zal, it kind of freaks me out how good you are at that.
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaked out? I'm almost converted, and I don't even know to what.

-PT

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

My grandma made a jello-mixture with whipped cream and cottage cheese that my dad dubbed "Throw-up pudding" when he was about four. The name stuck.
fallow
Member # 6268

I believe I've dined on that cottage-cheese/jello monstrosity. But not since the days those primary-color unbreakable plastic kid's cups were 'in'.
lcarus
Member # 4395

[Hail] Zal

I've been waiting since the new smilies came out for something worthy of that one. Your posts on this thread were it.

Oh, and Jon Boy: [ROFL]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Phil: Because of your willingness to believe in the true way of gelatin, I am able to give you an exlusive discount on my seminar tape series "Unleashing the Power of Cherry Jello." That's right, for only $599.95, I will send you the complete four-tape set. Plus if you act now, I will also include "The True Way of Fanta Fruit Punch Concentrate" and "The Seven Highly Effective Forms of Funeral Potatoes" -- for FREE! That's three seminars for the price of one.

Kat: There's nothing to be freaked out about. I use my powers for good. Plus -- It's all surface. Heck, while I have heard or read a lot of talk about Sunstone, I've only read 4 articles from it -- and one of those was actually a play, and the other three were all literary-related.

Ic: Coming from a member of the CFC -- the home of Chris Bridges, former home of Bob Scopatz, not to mention you and your occassional zingers -- I take that as high compliment.

JB: It's good to be a Grammar Guru. I give you props for that. But never mess with The Master of Discourse.

[ March 31, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

[Embarrassed]
I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Zal. Just one question, though: do you take Visa?

[ March 31, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.