FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the script almost made me cry again.

Wow. Mary (Kirsten Dunst)'s part was cut down a little, and I wonder why. But I love the actors in this movie.

[ March 25, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add my two cents, I saw this on opening night and have been thinking about it ever since. It definitely gets four stars from me. Kaufman is by far my favorite screenwriter of today, and one of my favorites of all time.

I don't think I could decide between Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation. See, Kaufman's genius is that he has enough creativity to come up with a truly unique story, but he's also a good enough writer to include little details that absolutely make the movie. Both films have that, for me.

There's a line from Adaptation that has always stuck with me: "You are what you love, not what loves you. That's what I decided a long time ago." The fact that I still think about that line two years later seems to me evidence of Kaufman's talent.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great line from Adaptation saxon. it stuck with me too.

I agree that i have a tough time choosing between those two which i like better. i feel that Eternal Sunshine is more entertaining, has more interesting and likable characters. But adaptation makes me "think" more. Adaptation has more "great lines" and thought provoking moments for me. And i saw flashes of those in Eternal Sunshine, but not as much as Adaptation. Adaptation may be a smarter script than Eternal Sunshine in my opinion.

[ March 25, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Adaptation is a more intellectual film, but Eternal Sunshine gets a much stronger emotional response from me.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
agreed.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it rocked. Kaufman strikes again. Hell, so does everybody else involved in the making of this movie. It hit all the right notes.

Better than Adaptation? Hmmm... I think I'll have to rent them and watch them side by side, and count the perfect moments. I don't know which movie had more, and that's probably the only way I'll be able to decide between the two.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
BJM was quite smart. I found it even more delicious on subsequent viewings after being blown-away at the cinema.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it yesterday and loved it. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD proved to be an unexpected hit, so they just came out with a 2-disk collector's edition.

Of all the movies I saw last year, this one I truly loved. I'm not sure I can see it again, though - I identified with it so strongly that I'm not sure I want to put myself through the experience. It's going on my wish list, though. [Smile]

Collector's Edition

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a confession- I had called the store to see if they were still having a "sale" on video rentals and they said they were. But when I got there it was not what I was thinking. I had driven quite a ways to go to this shop and I broke down and decided to rent R rated movies. [Cry]

But I really liked this movie. And I finally saw Matrix Revolutions.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this movie. I've been wanting to buy it for a while now but keep forgetting. However, now that I know there's a collector's edition, I'll be sure to pick it up. Thanks for the link!

How was Matrix Revolutions by the way? I have yet to seen that one mostly because I really disliked the second one.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this movie for the first time. I love the way that bits and pieces of the memories slowly dissolve as the scene goes along. The bookstore scene toward the end was amazing.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say about that movie is it was just so GOOD. I watched it twice. If I had the money I'd buy it on DVD.
The directing (It's directed by the guy who does a lot of cool Bjork videos and I love Bjork) the plot (Spoiler-the wa dispite it all, they get drawn to each other all over again, almost for the same reasons as before, but, at least they learn more about each other in the process)
Then I got to thinking about how I wouldn't want even my worse memories taken away... I should go watch that movie again sometime.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what I missed in the movie? I thought it was technically fine. It was actually tightly written, it had the beauty of a well-formed geometry proof, but it lacked emotional depth. There was something kind of simple about "Adaptation" and "Eternal Sunshine." And maybe that can work if you hit on something really true, but *shrugs* I wasn't feeling it. It was like an M. Night Shyamalan that played on goofiness instead of suspense. *chuckles* I may be the only one who liked National Treasure more, and that movie lacked the technique.

*thinks* ESOSM hit on some important themes, I just don't know how well it did it, but I may have missed something. At the end, I didn't feel moved or dignified or anything.

[ January 23, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have anything to add beyond "I loved this movie" but: I loved this movie.

Spoilers

Only thing I didn't like, I thought the ending was, well I thought it ended when his last memory dissapeared and then we'd just have to reflect on what his meeting her the next day would mean in the future, I didn't care for having anything after that, but what do I know? Not as much as Kaufman. [Hail] [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.