FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A lighthearted opinion based thread... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A lighthearted opinion based thread...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when my brain is all non-functiony.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Good thing I don't have to be go up and be dazzling in front of an audience today.

(imagines audience of medical professionals, lawyers and bioethicists.)

"Good morning. My life good. Singer bad. Go home now. Bye."

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they got a pepper bar.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I just need to straighten this out. They aren't battling in space! Haha...just because they're astronauts doesn't mean they're in space, and just because they're cavemen doesn't mean they're in caves.

And, well, I SUPPOSE the astronauts could still have helmets, only because the cavemen would have much stronger bones.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Jeez, Javert. I was just about to thank you for reintroducing some reality into this thread, gently reminding people the fight wasn't actually in space or caves.

But who in heck said anything about helmets???

What's next? Shin guards?

I thought this was supposed to be about who wins, not whether the guys with helmets win?

**puts five dollars down on the troglodyte commencing to pound on the spaceman with advanced osteoporosis.**

**sndrake realizes osteoporosis is a serious medical condition and should not be taken lightly. But sndrake also realizes spacemen picking fights with cavemen are looking for trouble**

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the prize? If it's something like flint and steel, the caveman might be very interested and the astronaut, not at all.

Conversely, if it were a free subscription to popular science, or geek today, or something like that, then the astronaut would probably be more excited, and the caveman not at all.

Either way, my money is on the one that looks more like a monkey. Do you have pictures of them???

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the caveman has a distinct advantage in this fight. They're battling on his turf, not the astronaut's. I say they go for one throw on the ground, and then put on suits and go for one throw in space.

The tiebreaker would be underwater.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The caveman would have a lower center of gravity, whereas the spaceman would be retaining a lot of fluid centrally from the whole null-G thing.

I'm thinking pop like a water balloon here.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
A caveman/person could techinically be in very poor health, where as Astronauts tend to be in better health generally.

In that case, I'm putting my money on the Astronaut. But if they are both in their best health, the caveman (the stronger and probably the better fighter) would win.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

OK, scratch the helmets.

And, as for the prize? The winners aren't fed to dinosaurs.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
But I say Koalas could beat them ALL. Because Koalas rock.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe a thing like this has become this long. Especially since I know the origins unless it's been seen in more then one spot. Lets see what a doctor has to say about bone problems with space and all being hit with a big fist. Never mind no need.

Better?

[ February 27, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Oh my...wow...I'm sorry, but that is far too many typos for one post. [Eek!]
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
so sue me.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
It also depends how the caveman and the astronaut met each other. Did the astronaut travel through a worm hole? If so, the caveman will win, because the astronaut may cease to exist if he harms the caveman and thus alter his own timeline. On the other hand, this may be a paradox, where the astronaut was destined to kill the caveman.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I hadn't considered the metaspace-time concerns. Fascinating.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, it is fascinating.

So while space person considers the ramifications of doing anything to caveperson, caveperson clobbers them, thus resolving any worries about temporal paradoxes. [Big Grin]

**Make that ten dollars on the cave dweller**

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, sure. You'll buy wormholes and time travel paradoxes but not comsic-ray-induced super-powers?

Sheesh, show some consistency!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Embarrassed]

Am caught. Again. [Wink]

[ February 27, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Hey, Javert...

Are you fighting the temptation to rename this thread?

"Will disagreements about spacemen and cavemen rip hatrack apart?"

[Evil]

**written by sndrake's evil twin**

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
When I think about this thread (and I think about it more than I would care to admit), I always picture Calvin as Spaceman Spiff, battling it out with Moe the Caveman. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Dagonee, have you not considered that maybe the cosmic rays could change the cavemen too? Just think of it... CAPTAIN CAVEMAN!!!!!!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Clearly you have to travel to space for cosmic rays to grant superpowers. All the great authorities say so - Lee, Kirby, etc. The magnetic field of the earth screens them out.

Now, there are other ways to get superpowers that might happen to a caveman: mutation, exposure to gamma radiation, radioactive animal bites, finding an ancient divine weapon, being appointed the guardian of justice in your quadrant of the galaxy, being the chosen champion of good empowered by stolen demonic essence, being selected to be the herald of a gigantic planet-eating being, selling your soul to a demonic presence, dedicating your life to the study of mystical forces, building a sophisticated suit of armor and sledgehammer-weapon, finding the lost sword Excalibur, getting turned into a vampire and getting your soul restored by gypsies, being the subject of super-soldier experiments, receiving cybernetic implants, moving to a planet with less gravity and a brighter sun, experimenting on youself with a shrinking/growing ray, and, last but not least, coming back on the anniversary of your death to avenge a loved one.

But I thought we wanted to stay realistic - few of these seem likely to happen to a caveman.

Dagonee
PS, Captain Caveman would undoubtedly win if weapons were allowed, but without his club he's a wimp. [Taunt]

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the astronaut is a caveman.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

NO MASCOTS ALLOWED! [Mad]

...I don't know why...just because. [Evil]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be a cheer-leader?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who's gonna win the fight between the caveman and the astronaut, but can I sell tickets?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Yeah, Derrel, sure...but seeing as I'm the promoter, I have to be given the best seats, ok?

Now, can anyone think of any other fights that would be interesting? I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the cavemen seem to be victorious in this bout.

Derrell
Member # 6062

Javert, not only do you get the best seats, but I'll give you 10% of the take.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! [Evil Laugh]
Derrell
Member # 6062

Javert, we need to come up with some cool new bouts to promote. Any ideas?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I want the T-shirt concession!
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Will you guys accept half-eaten hot dogs as legal tender?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Roman gladiator vs. modern day Navy Seal
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Da_Goat,

Just a tip on selling. Your sales pitch would be more effective if you stressed the fact that the hot dogs are half UNeaten. [Wink]

Javert
Member # 3076

Hear yee, hear yee! The next bout is about to take place.

Thanks to the wonderful suggestion of the beautiful Ms. Belle, the match will be as follows:

Roman Gladiators vs. Navy Seals. We are now taking bets!

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Er...are we talking now or 2000 years a go?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know, Seals are a lot more vicious than people think. Did you know they have claws on their flippers? The ones the Navy keeps in San Diego are pretty brutal sometimes.

Oh, you mean the other kind of Navy Seal...

Demi Moore could kick Russel Crow's a...er...bottom, so I vote Seals all the way.

Dagonee

sndrake
Member # 4941

How about a Navy Seal against a dolphin?

In deep water, of course, before anyone asks. [Razz]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Is it one of those dolphins that the Russians used to patrol their harbors?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Let's keep it simple. Just a simple unarmed dolphin against an unarmed Navy Seal. I see it as a grudge match for the dolphin - harboring deep-seated rage against human exploitation of his brothers and sisters for entertainment porpoises.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Dolphin the fish or dolphin the mammel? It makes a difference?

And if it's the rabid dolphin from One Crazy Summer all bets are off.

Dagonee

sndrake
Member # 4941

1. Mammal

2. Not the rabid dolphin in the grossly underrated "One Crazy Summer."

3. Sheesh. What does a person have to do to get a pun noticed? Hit someone over the head with a mackerel?

(I'm just too darn subtle for my own good) [Wink]

[ February 28, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Technically flippers are evolved from arms, so I didn't see it as a pun...

Edit: How's that for CYA?

[ February 28, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

If it's an unarmed navy seal, I think anyone would be crazy not to bet on the dolphin.
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
human exploitation of his brothers and sisters for entertainment porpoises.
"PORPOISES instead of PURPOSES," sndrake screamed at his computer screen. "Fins???!!! Where did that come from?"

"Has it really come to this?" he pundered.

(settles down and has a good sob over the increasingly literal-mindedness of the universe)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hehe, I knew I could get you. [Taunt]
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Blushing]

Yeah, you got me.

[Hat]

Unless, it's just another bit of CYA. [Grumble]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Mwahahahahahahaha. Either way, I got you.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't like hot dogs. how about chicken wings? what about beverages? oh yeah, ummmmm navy seal just to stick to my boys. don't try the marines, jarheads could never handle a gladiator. [Taunt]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.