FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Garden Planning Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Garden Planning Thread
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried total hydrophonics, but I have tasted produce grown locally totally hydrophonically, and the flavor is just not the same as that grown with soil.

I mean, it is still good, and a wonderful alternative, but don't expect as rich of flavor as plants grown in soil.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Really farmgirl? Out in CA where I lived our hydroponic lettuce always tasted better than the store lettuce and as good as the farmers market lettuce. Our iceberg lettuce definitely was more flavorful than the white stuff that passes for letucce some places. So much more chlorophyll Maybe they don't have the right micronutrient balance. Using high quality micronutrients is key and if they are trying to shortcut that could be the problem.

Plus, I hate weeding.

AJ

[ April 09, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Eek! We need to get hopping! Pack Meeting was keeping us so busy....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
here's another do-it-yourself hydroponic link with plans on how to build your own system.

http://howtohydroponics.com/

(oh but they want you to pay $20 for the book, looking at their systems I would buy it) When I get the time to build my own system again I probably will buy it.

AJ

[ April 09, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A fun website = http://gardenwatchdog.com/ -- customers' reviews of their favorite -- and non-favorite -- seed companies.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Shepherd's Garden Seeds, which is now a subdivision of White Flower Farms, another good source.

Also, Tomato Growers' Supply Company has a huge variety of vegetables and supplies. Excellent.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to grow thing in the winter here in AK, but during the summer it's the best. I have a greenhouse for some of the finer stuff like chard & herbs, but potatoes, corn, tomatoes and all kinds of good stuff grows well and HUGE in the 24 hour sunlight and warm weather we get in the summer.

[ April 10, 2004, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Brian,
I have a book called "Cold Weather Gardening" which talks a lot about Alaska. it is amazing what you can do(simple things) to extend the growing season. One thing is using gallon plastic milk jugs as cloches(mini greenhouses) You cut the bottom out, place the jug over a plant, and the open the cap to let the heat out in the day, and keep it in at night.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ahem. OK, I have a COOKBOOK called "Cold Weather Cooking." I have a gardening book called "Intensive Gardening Round the Year."
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone -- There was one other plant I was thinking mainly of recommending to you for your shady spot, but couldn't think of the name yesterday when I was talking to you from work.

Hostas. You might consider putting in hostas. They love full shade and are quite beautiful.

Don't know if you'll read this thread again or not, but I had post it once I thought of it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, there are some amazingly striking varieties of hostas. Some are huge, like jungle plants. It goes nicely with astilbe, too.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.