FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They're sending in the MARINES?! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: They're sending in the MARINES?!
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Before this gets totally out of hand, I need to step between you two.

Depending on certain things, military personel (depending on Clearance Level) definitely know certain things before anybody else. Here, we have the option of attending weekly intel briefings that tell us certain things about our actions around the world. One thing that should be noted, is that as soon as war breaks out those avenues are sealed and only those with a 'need to know' are notified about those things. I watched Bagdad blow up with the rest of you.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
And...

Just like any group of people, the military does have it's share of bad apples.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
NPR had an interview with two of President Bush's security advisors. They's recently written a book.

When asked about the size of the military, there statements were basically:

1) The military is too large.
2) The military works best with small, heavilly trained special forces type units that are able to reach objectives quickly and efficiently.
3) Support troops, from those running the motor pool to those swabbing the decks, are better off as sub-contracted non-military personell.
4) The era of big armies marching into enemy territory are over.

Their proof was the fact that our special forces did a fantatic job in Iraq. We invaded with half of the troops we wanted, and still succeeded far faster and easier than we hoped.

The question I had wanted asked was, "What about after word?"

While we have enough troups to meet the goals of force projection, we seem to be woefully short of troops for long term deployment. In other words, what should we have done, if we had this leaner, lighter, faster army, after the hostilities ended?

Do we try to patrol all of Iraq with a few Rangers and Seals and what ever MP's we can dig up?

We have the army to crush any enemy in the world, with the possible exception of the Chinese. Yet what do we do once we've succeeded?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So now you're qualified to judge which things a soldier says are worth listening to and which aren't?
What? When did i say that?

What I was trying to get across was that the civilian oversight of the military, coupled with the general decency and morality of our soldiers is what gives me the opinion that what soldiers say is worth listening to. I made no indictment about distinctions between
Column A: Worth Hearing.
Column B: Not Worth Hearing

[ January 08, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

I think i used too many words in the post in question to make my point, and ended up fumbling them. So i'll try it again, this time more succinctly:

quote:
If we only listened to the military on military issues, we'd quickly (that is, within a decade or two) have a military dictatorship. Ambitious people would join the military and use their influence as "superior sources" to expand military power and take over. Civilian oversight of the military is one of the founding principles of this country.

I agree.

[ January 08, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the Maginot Line was stupidly ignoring a threat that should have been obviously real. If someone is sufficiently motivated to attack you that you are willing to build a defense like that, then you better be prepared for the fact that they will surely try to get around that defense.

Ahh, the clarity of hindsight. In another sixty years, what would people be saying if we structured our military to the minimum legitimate single threat?

quote:
Iraq didn't know that, and they got destroyed because of their miscalculation. China conquered Tibet during the Cold War, long before the present order came about.
But Iraq didn't know that during the time of this so-called "New World Order" you speak of. They got destroyed because our military was so vastly overpowering against that particular threat, remember?

Without even mentioning China, you've just hamstrung your own argument, Tresopax.

As for China, you're saying that invasion for national gain is obsolete-mostlyh because the big players won't let it happen, and they've got nukes.

Does that ring a bell?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to this quote:

quote:
Which is why crazy people like me have the luxury of listening to them and taking what they feel is neccessary to heart.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

Oh ok.

"Crazy People like me" = crazy people like me

"What they feel is neccessary" = What the soldiers feel is neccesary.

Is that where the confusion came in?

"They" does not equal "Crazy People like me"

"Which is why crazy people like me have the luxury of listening to our soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen, and taking what those servicemen and women feel is neccessary to heart."

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that works.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.