FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foods made for each other (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foods made for each other
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Some faves:

"rat sharp" ny white cheddar cheese, triscuits, and fresh cider;

unsweetened peanut butter on whole wheat toast along with chocolate milk;

leftover cold chicken or turkey in a sandwich with cranberry sauce as the condiment;

sliced fresh apples and peanut butter.

[ November 07, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got an imitation recipe for Olive Garden's Bruschetta. 'Course, there's not much to it anyway. Haven't tried to make ciabatta bread yet but other breads work too.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

Hot fresh frites on a salad with mayonnaise and baby shrimp.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk chocolate and Peanut Butter.

Dark Chocolate and fresh mint.

Mint and Green Tea mixed together.

Any combination of tomatoes, garlic, basil and oregano (ie---with mozzarella, or olive oil, or on Italian bread, etc).
This is a good way to dress up boring canned tomato soup...add pasta if some leftover is around...
Hummus, pitas, celery, and carrots.

French Fries and malt vinegar, with a little salt.

Buffalo wings and celery.

I can't think of any gourmet foods....I'm a poor college student who works in a grocery store deli---what more do you want?

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember who got me dipping my french fries in a McDonald's shake. This was before I became a "mental health consumer". I don't do stuff like that in public anymore.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Graham cracker sandwiches with chocolate frosting and peanut butter. Especially chunky peanut butter. In fact, I think I need one right now. . . .
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... garlic [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielW2
Member # 5861

- posted      Profile for DanielW2   Email DanielW2         Edit/Delete Post 
black pudding and bacon in a sandwich made with really cheap and trashy white bread.

My mum's lasagne, and spring rolls.

My mum's bacon and opnion roll, with honey roast parsnips.

prosciutto del speck ham or german black forest ham with philadelphia and butter on digestive biscuits.

bread sauce with pretty much anything.

deep filled pizzas and the spicy chicken drummers the local junk food takeaway provide.

I am currently at university on full board, and thus have not had any of those things for over a month *sniff*

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'd like to try your mum's bacon and opinion roll. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
bocconcini and proscuitto..

yummmmmmmm.

I think I'm addicted to the stuff!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't remember who got me dipping my french fries in a McDonald's shake. This was before I became a "mental health consumer". I don't do stuff like that in public anymore.
crap, just when i thought i was normal.

as much as i like having days off, i hate missing a day of this forum because theni feel bad about bringing threads from past page one back to the top but to quote porcelain girl

quote:
oh my gosh. food makes me so happy.
so you all get to deal. i'll try to make it worth your while.

i tried to start a thread on this once, but thought better of it. the five basic food groups in my world are:

beef
bacon
cheese
peas
chocolate

however, as far as foods that go together:

beer and cheesecake
pea soup and rice
pork chops and applesauce
sandwiches with doritos inside
peas and newman's own balsamic vinagrette (ok, so how do you spell that in english?)

and now, a recipe:

my newly former roommate likes to things that fall under the encompassing title of 'ghetto casserole'. her latest experiment was to make mac 'n cheese, put it in the bottom of a casserole dish and put a bisquick/pea/cut-up chicken patty mixture on top and bake it. surprisingly good.

ok, i'm done. the thread can die now.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawaiian pizza--pinapple and bacon. Not from one of the national chains, they all use canned pineapple and either cheap bacon or ham or canadian bacon. Fresh pineapple and decent bacon are needed, preferably hickory-smoked. It sounds gross, but pineapple, bacon, mozzaralla, tomato sauce and crust blend together scrumptiously. I haven't had it in too long.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds disgusting, but I dare you to try it and I guarantee you'll be hooked:

Chopped fried bananas in plain yogurt w/ a generous amount of cumin. Yum! [Smile]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Proscuitto makes me think of Mortadella....

Basically an Italian bologna, with peppercorns, (sometimes) pistachios, lumps of proscuitto, and lumps of pork fat.

Sounds disgusting, looks disgusting. Tastes soo good.

I like to call it Muerta-bella---no good for the heart.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
graham crackers with leftover homemade buttercream frosting--My mom made this for my siblings and me as treats, and we used to have knock-down, drag-out fights over who got to lick the beaters, bowls, and spoons

Brie cheese, triscuits, and green apple slices

Celery, peanut butter, and raisins--Ants on a Log!

Turkey sandwich with potato chips inside

Spinach artichoke dip on ANYTHING

mmmmmm....foooooooood

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
bagels. with cream cheese.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
here's some of my favorites:

cranberry sauce and croissants
strawberries and chocolate
ham and tomatoes (in omelettes)

Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
mmm...bagels and lox cream cheese....
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate does not go with any fruit, with the exception of chocolate-covered strawberries, which are acceptable.

Chocolate does go marvelously with port, however.

Chocolate covered pretzels are good, but only if it's dark chocolate.

Cola and condensed milk (in about a 1:5 ratio, or a little less).

I made a cool variant of a mimosa with Rosa Regale sparkling red wine and Sunny Delight.

Swiss cheese and mustard were made for eacch other.

Eggs and grits.

Cheddar and triscuit.

[Smile]

Oh, and by the way, I like Tootsie Rolls and candy corn, but I love Smarties!

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to eat this for supper at school when I was about eight years old -
Take two pieces of bread. Spead marmite on one side of bread and chocolate spread on the other.
Now squish them together and eat them. I don't know why this is nice, but it's something about the salt and sugar mixed together.

However, you really need to be eight years old before you're prepared to try things like that. I'd never be able to eat that now.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
cucumbers, fresh dill, cream cheese, and white bread.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

mega said 'triscuit'

i used to glob peanut butter on a triscuit and put cheese popcorn on top. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The French have discovered one chocolate combination we really need to pick up on - chocolate and pears.

And of course the marriage of hazelnut and chocolate happened years ago in Europe but has yet to be acknowledged in America. Here, the closest we can get is a can of Nutella with Kobe on the front.

bCurt
Member # 5476

Yes, hazelnut and chocolate! I prefer Cote d'Or Chocolate - Dark Chocolate with Praline of Hazelnut! I also like a good chocolate/hazelnut spread on bread or toast. I suppose part of the reason is my Belgian half.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark chocolate goes splendidly with raspaberries. Any one who does not like a rich dark chocolate custard topped with raspaberries is criminally insane and should be isolated to protect the rest of the populations.

I also think that Idli go well with a spicy fresh tomato soup.

The worst food combination is mints and orange juice. Never ever drink OJ after brushing your teeth with a minty toothpast.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

that is exactly why i use crest sparkle fun. it's still toothpaste, but it is not minty.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that why it is so nasty? I knew to not combine the two, but I hadn't connected the mint to the horridness of clean-teeth orange juice.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Cote d'Or Chocolate is to die for. I prefer the 70%. The Callebaut milk chocolate is also superb. I prefer the milk chocolate with whole hazelnuts and the dark chocolate with either hazelnut praline or marzipan.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
What are raspaberries? Is that another word for raspberries? Which one is more legitimate?

Whatever; if they're raspberries, I don't like 'em on anything, but I think they would be even worse in conjunction with chocolate.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, I don't like them unless there aren't seeds involved... the seeds are what I hate about them. That's why rasberry fudge is SO good. And i like neither rasberries nor fudge.

I can't eat any sweet baked good without a HUGE glass of almsot frozen milk. Not having really cold milk is what I hate aobut living in a dorm.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

dark chocolate-covered candied ginger....

check it out

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Someone call 911, we need a straight jacket for Megachirops.
bCurt
Member # 5476

The Rabbit - You'd probably like my rasberry brownies. I make them around the holidays every year. They are very rich (made with dark chocolate and seedless rasberry jam). I've made the milk chocolate version before mostly for the in-laws and wife but it is not the same. Dark Chocolate and Marzipan. Yummm!

Of course, milk is necessary with any chocolate item (cake, brownies, chocolate chip cookies and etc.). Dr. Pepper can be substituted at times but is not better than milk.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.