FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's Not That He Drove Head On Into My Car That Bugs Me... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's Not That He Drove Head On Into My Car That Bugs Me...
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
"The pretty maiden trapped inside the ranch wife's toil and care."

Listen to Stan Rogers? I *am* from Nova Scotia (near the Gaspereau Valley, if you know the song Watching the Apples Grow) I remember when you had to write a letter to his mother and ask for a tape and then she'd send one to you. Such a cool lady, she had the keenest memory for names. You'd go to festivals and she'd know all the fans' names and talk to them about their families. She wrote us the nicest letter after he died in the plane crash.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Three centuries thereafter, I take passage overland
In the footsteps of brave Kelso, where his "sea of flowers" began
Watching cities rise before me, then behind me sink again
This tardiest explorer, driving hard across the plain.

Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage
To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea;
Tracing one warm line through a land so wild and savage
And make a Northwest Passage to the sea.

--Northwest Passage
Stan Rogers

My honeymoon, when I finally take it, will be on a converted Russian icebreaker charting over the Northwest Passage. Stan Rogers on the headset, and me and my love sharing nothing left in the world but what fits into one old steamtrunk. And each other.

katharina: Glorious! It is Rivendale.

[ November 05, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL, I love Stan Rogers. *sigh*

Noemon, I'm glad you're okay and your wonderful sense of humor wasn't injured! I am surprised the guy didn't get arrested for driving without a license. And driving a car that is almost surely stolen. With license plates that were probably stolen as well.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a Van Gogh painting of an orchard in wintertime that was a powerful visceral experience for me. I could not tear myself away from it. It was with the Armand Hammer exhibit that came here years ago.

There were several paintings in the "Anguish" portion of the Rings exhibit at the High Museum in Atlanta in 1996 in honor of the olympics which were powerful and overwhelming. I remember telling my friend Jason who went with me that I wasn't old enough to see that part of the exhibit.

There is a sculpture of a tree man in our museum here in Birmingham that frightened me when first I saw it. It made my hair stand on end. Saudade and Andrei were with me and they freaked out over it too. It's called "girdled figure" or something like that and it is amazing.

There's actually something called Stendhal's syndrome where you become overcome with the beauty of art, and get dizzy and pass out and stuff. There's a clinic for it in Florence. I think that's cool. I think I'm a candidate for Stendhal's syndrome. [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
To respond to another of the branches this thread has taken, I've been using the advanced healing bandaids on bugbites on my legs and feet, and they work great! I have always had a terrible time healing any sort of wounds, and especially in the last 10 years or so on my legs and feet. Bugs love me, too, and so my many bugbites often take all winter to heal. They itch and get bigger and bigger until they're just big ugly sores. It's revolting.

But ever since your thread about your blisters, Noemon, I bought some of those advanced healing type bandaids and they are amazing. As soon as I put them on a bite, it quits itching and starts to heal right up. I'm never going to be without them. I haven't been willing to do any sort of scientific test, since the first one I tried was singular, and after I saw how well that one worked I'm not willing to have control sores anymore. [Smile] But I can tell you that the difference is amazing. CT, if you treat diabetics with sores on their extremities, you will want to recommend these bandaids to them. [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh! Claude Theresa. I already took my Honeymoon, tracing part Powells voyage down the green river in a canoe.

A couple years ago we took the Ferry up the inside passage and then did a Bike tour along the Golden Circle Route through the Yukon. Now my goal is to ride up the Dempster Highway to the Beaufort Sea.

quote:
You can see it in his eyes as they glitter in the light.
And the bone white rhyme of frost across his brow.
Too late the dawn has come, and that Yukon winters won.
He's got his cure for cabin fever now."

They watched for him in Carmacks, Haynes and Carcross,
With Teslin blocked there's nowhere else to go.
So they hit the fourwheel drive at Johnson's crossing.
They found him 38 miles up the Canol road.
In the Salmon Range at 48 below.
They found him 38 miles up the Canol road.

This was our song for the Yukon bike tour. We road through Haynes and Carcross, didn't quite make it to Johnson's crossing. Next time though, next time.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm also a candidate for Stendhal syndrome. Someworks of art just suck me in, its almost like I'm in a trance.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.