FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » a question for anyone with experience... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: a question for anyone with experience...
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is it that men and women can't be friends if they knew each other before they married different people? I mean, I certainly hope I have several of the same female friends I do now, after I get married...
Holy cow, man. Have you never seen When Harry Met Sally?!?

quote:
Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally Albright: Why not?
Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: You only think you do.
Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally: They do not!
Harry: Do to.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do to.
Sally: How do you know?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
Sally: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
Harry: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
Harry: I guess not.
Sally: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually trying to cut back on my post-whoring, Twinky, so maybe you'll pass me pretty soon.

*deletes posts furiously*

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Bwahahaha! [Big Grin]

Actually, my goal is to catch Pod, who is still about a thousand posts ahead of me even though he doesn't post much nowadays.

Really, though, I'm only posting so much because it's a summer work term, and who likes to do work in the summer? Honestly. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I just happen to know from experience that the scene from harry met sally is wrong.

I've had numerous female friends who didn't want to nail me, and whom I did not want to nail.

[Evil]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yes, but something tells me that this particular friend isn't one of them. I think maybe it was the "I'm in love with her" thing [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, but I'm not convinced that this is a hindrance to friendship either, as I'm still friendly with the two people I've been serious with (even though one is married [Eek!] )
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

...you don't think unrequieted love will eventually drive you nuts?

Don't try to be Cyrano [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Persistant unrequited love with do a number on your self-esteem. You're worth more than that. That'll kill you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
you're still in love with the other 2 you're friends with?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

No, not at all.
celia60
Member # 2039

you still want to "nail" them?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

No. Not at all.

This is my point, actually.

I KNOW its possible to be friends with someone you, at one time, were involved with/wanted to nail.

celia60
Member # 2039

oh, bother. i'm going to put on a giant conical hat and go sit in the corner.
katharina
Member # 827

Maybe you can friends again when you are over her, then.

But you don't slide from worship to bonhomie without a fight. It doesn't look like willpower is going to do it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't think the fact that you've loved this girl for 15 years is a problem? (since grade 3 and you're 24 now, right?)

I dunno man...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Eww. . . Paul loved an 8 year old?

[Kiss]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

BtL raises an excellent point.

But anyway, let me reiterate. You say you aren't sure she knows how you feel. Well, she needs to find out (again, no weepy confessional speech allowed). If she doesn't reciprocate your feelings it'd probably be best if you spent less time with her (if you live in the same area) or talked to her much less (if you don't) for a while.

[ August 14, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Bob-
Its either a problem, or a sign of true love *grin*

At the moment, I'm trying to treat it like a problem. Cause it is.

twinky
Member # 693

Careful. Talk like that will turn you into Cyrano.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Who the hell is cyrano?
katharina
Member # 827

Wait - didn't Cyrano get the girl in the end.

*wanders off to google*

Kayla
Member # 2403

de Bergerac? Steve Martin. . . Roxanne.
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
In 1676 Cyrano's collected works appeared, which included a biting poem of Mazarin (1602-61), the famous French cardinal and statesman. Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac describes the adventures of the 17th century nobleman, famous for his large nose and swordsmanship. "'Tis well known, a big nose is indicative / Of a soul affable, and kind, and courteous, / Liberal, brave, just like myself, and such / As you can never dare to dream yourself..." Cyrano desperately loves the beautiful Roxane, but agrees to help his rival, Christian, win her heart. The historians have pointed out that Rostand's portrayal of the hero was not truthful - Cyrano was a serious writer of philosophical romances and a virile lover.
Actually, his real life story is more interesting than the made-up one.

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/bergerac.htm

katharina
Member # 827

Hollywood has glossed over the ending again.

quote:
It is fifteen years later in a convent outside of Paris. Roxane lives as a secluded widow. Every week, Cyrano comes to give her news from the world. Two of Cyrano's friends arrive to visit, and privately they confer - Cyrano has been attacked, and he's close to death. Neither one knows how to tell Roxane. They go to check on Cyrano's condition, just as Cyrano comes to visit Roxane. He starts reading her his weekly report, then he grows weak, and asks to see the last letter Christian wrote to her. She gives it to him, and he begins reading it to her. Roxane realizes that Cyrano knows the letter by heart, and she figures out that it was Cyrano writing to her all along. Cyrano admits it, and explains that he's only telling her because he's dying. He asks Roxane if she could mourn both him and Christian in her heart, and she agrees. Cyrano composes one last poem while fencing with an invisible enemy, and then finally, he dies.
http://www.bookrags.com/notes/cyr/SUM.htm

Good grief, that's dreadful. *scowls*

[ August 14, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

twinky
Member # 693

Cyrano de Bergerac most certainly did not get the girl in the end. After helping one of his soldiers to woo his love interest / close friend, he kept his feelings hidden even when the aforementioned soldier was killed in a war. The girl became a nun, and Cyrano stayed friends with her. He didn't tell her until he was about to die, and then promptly died.
katharina
Member # 827

Why did he do that!!!

[ August 14, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
In spite of innummerable enemies and abject poverty his gay invincible spirit shines forth at these meetings.
Well, that explains a lot. [Wink]

http://www.theatrehistory.com/french/rostand002.html

twinky
Member # 693

Becuase she still loved the dead soldier and not him.
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown]
twinky
Member # 693

What was he going to say?

"Oh, by the way, all those love letters you thought were from Christian, they were from me. Now that he's dead, let's get it on!"

Hm, something tells me that wouldn't have gone over so well [Wink]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat - You and I are just people of action. I don't think we could have stood not telling the object of our desire how we felt, even if it ended badly for us.

You know, red.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought he never told her out of loyalty to his friend.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

But is all so pointless. It's like those romantic comedies where the only obstacle to the two getting together is, you know, deciding to get over it!

Ralphie, maybe you're right. [Smile]

Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'll admit Ralphie and I do have widely differing views on the relative merits of pining. I see it as harmless fun, a worthwhile and enriching pastime, though only in moderation, of course. Ralphie doesn't see the point.

I guess that's why I go for black. It's all silence and negation.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.